SARS-CoV-2 testing

Covid-19 discussion, bring your own statistics
Tessa K
Dorkwood

Re: SARS-CoV-2 testing

Post by Tessa K » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:10 pm

headshot wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:05 pm
I’ll take “corrupt privatisation of public services” please Bob.
With a side order of 'too busy counting my money to give a f.ck'.

I may have over-reacted btw, I think this is just a mild cold but I did feel rough yesterday. Easy to panic at the moment, especially if you're me.

shpalman
After Pie

Post by shpalman » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:22 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:45 pm
KAJ wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:19 pm
Am I correct ? in my understanding that
  • the RT-PCR test detects the virus, so is only positive for active infections
  • the described antigen test would also be positive for those who had recovered
If so, would the antigen test be more useful than the RT-PCR test for monitoring the progress of the outbreak?
I posted a link in the wrong thread in which it was found that the body sheds dead non-infectious virus during the recovery phase.
Coronavirus tests could be picking up dead virus

In Italy there is 'screening' for antibodies but if you're positive they do a swab. I wonder if it wouldn't be better to do it the other way around.
molto tricky

shpalman
After Pie

Post by shpalman » Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:32 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:22 pm
shpalman wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:45 pm
KAJ wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:19 pm
Am I correct ? in my understanding that
  • the RT-PCR test detects the virus, so is only positive for active infections
  • the described antigen test would also be positive for those who had recovered
If so, would the antigen test be more useful than the RT-PCR test for monitoring the progress of the outbreak?
I posted a link in the wrong thread in which it was found that the body sheds dead non-infectious virus during the recovery phase.
Coronavirus tests could be picking up dead virus

In Italy there is 'screening' for antibodies but if you're positive they do a swab. I wonder if it wouldn't be better to do it the other way around.
... but if people are being tested because they present symptoms it's reasonable to assume it's because the covid is alive, not that it's dead already but they caught something else in the meantime
molto tricky

shpalman
After Pie

Post by shpalman » Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:26 am

Hospitals told not to test staff or patients for Covid-19

It basically seems to be that they're being told that if they set up something as an alternative to the piss poor Test and Trace system they won't get any money to pay for it. Because the government wants to protect the monopoly it gave to the private sector.
molto tricky

Millennie Al
Fuzzable

Post by Millennie Al » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:51 am

shpalman wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:26 am
Hospitals told not to test staff or patients for Covid-19

It basically seems to be that they're being told that if they set up something as an alternative to the piss poor Test and Trace system they won't get any money to pay for it. Because the government wants to protect the monopoly it gave to the private sector.
While that might be part of it, I think the major part is preventing other organisations showing up the governement incompetence by showing that it is perfectly practical to do it right.
Covid-19 - Don't catch it: don't spread it.

Gfamily
After Pie

Post by Gfamily » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:50 pm

My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!