secret squirrel
Fuzzable

Re: Donald Trump's health

Post by secret squirrel » Fri May 08, 2020 9:41 am

jimbob wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:48 am
secret squirrel wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:39 am
How likely is Biden to beat a more conventionally respectable and better organized Republican though? Since Trump plays pretty much from the Republican playbook in terms of policy, if not rhetoric, him getting sick and dying might not be the best thing in the medium/long term.
I would prefer his dementia to get so obvious that even his cultists have to own it, and that they were told beforehand.
I honestly wasn't sure for a moment whether you were talking about Trump or Biden there.

dyqik
After Pie

Post by dyqik » Fri May 08, 2020 2:16 pm

secret squirrel wrote:
How likely is Biden to beat a more conventionally respectable and better organized Republican though? Since Trump plays pretty much from the Republican playbook in terms of policy, if not rhetoric, him getting sick and dying might not be the best thing in the medium/long term.
There aren't any conventionally respectable and better organized Republicans in the running. Anyone who could win the GOP nomination is a Trumpist now.

shpalman
Dorkwood

Post by shpalman » Fri May 08, 2020 7:12 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/liv ... 4cd4296d94

19:42

"Pence's press secretary has coronavirus
The staffer at the White House who tested positive for coronavirus this morning is Katie Miller, Vice President Mike Pence’s press secretary, Donald Trump just confirmed.

Katie Miller (nee Waldman) is married to the top adviser to the president, Stephen Miller.

The White House strongly defended its efforts earlier to protect Trump and Pence from catching coronavirus."

https://twitter.com/PaulaReidCBS/status ... 48673?s=09
molto tricky

jimbob
Catbabel

Post by jimbob » Fri May 08, 2020 8:03 pm

shpalman wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:12 pm

The staffer at the White House who tested positive for coronavirus this morning is Katie Miller, Vice President Mike Pence’s press secretary, Donald Trump just confirmed.

Katie Miller (nee Waldman) is married to the top adviser to the president, Stephen Miller.

The White House strongly defended its efforts earlier to protect Trump and Pence from catching coronavirus."

Prayer is good and all that is needed, I'm sure.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

tom p
Snowbonk

Post by tom p » Fri May 08, 2020 8:40 pm

shpalman wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:12 pm

Someone married Stephen Miller?
f.cking seriously?
She must be either pure evil or look like a diseased onion to settle for that hateful hideous despicable piece of charmless hateful sh.t.
f.ck, there really is someone for everyone.

Martin Y
Catbabel

Post by Martin Y » Fri May 08, 2020 10:16 pm

tom p wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:40 pm
Someone married Stephen Miller?
f.cking seriously?
She must be either pure evil or look like a diseased onion to settle for that hateful hideous despicable piece of charmless hateful sh.t.
f.ck, there really is someone for everyone.
That's put a smile on my face. Thanks.

Herainestold
Fuzzable

Post by Herainestold » Fri May 08, 2020 10:29 pm

The virus missed Boris, but it still has a chance with Trump and Bolsonaro and Duterte and Modi ...

secret squirrel
Fuzzable

Post by secret squirrel » Sat May 09, 2020 2:09 am

dyqik wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:16 pm
secret squirrel wrote:
There aren't any conventionally respectable and better organized Republicans in the running. Anyone who could win the GOP nomination is a Trumpist now.
Surely even the Trumpists who might take over don't have the unique combination of personal and professional failings that Trump himself does.

jimbob
Catbabel

Post by jimbob » Sat May 09, 2020 8:07 am

secret squirrel wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 2:09 am
dyqik wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:16 pm
secret squirrel wrote:
Surely even the Trumpists who might take over don't have the unique combination of personal and professional failings that Trump himself does.
Well the next in line in the GOP is Pence, who would probably regard Trump's removal as part of God's plan to install Pence as President.

EACLucifer
Fuzzable

Post by EACLucifer » Sat May 09, 2020 8:10 am

Herainestold wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:29 pm
The virus missed Boris, but it still has a chance with Trump and Bolsonaro and Duterte and Modi ...
If there were any justice in nature, it would get Xi Jinping

secret squirrel
Fuzzable

Post by secret squirrel » Sat May 09, 2020 1:13 pm

jimbob wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:07 am
Well the next in line in the GOP is Pence, who would probably regard Trump's removal as part of God's plan to install Pence as President.
Pence doesn't go on deranged twitter rants though, so he's got that going for him.

dyqik
After Pie

Post by dyqik » Sat May 09, 2020 1:49 pm

secret squirrel wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:13 pm
jimbob wrote:
Pence doesn't go on deranged twitter rants though, so he's got that going for him.
Thing is, Trump's base probably won't turn out for someone who doesn't "make the libs cry". They're in it for the daily Twitter rants.

Martin Y
Catbabel

Post by Martin Y » Sat May 09, 2020 3:07 pm

Herainestold wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 10:29 pm
For certain values of "missed". It holed him below the waterline but he managed to limp back to port with assistance. It's the sort of close call that might make even him appreciate and remember how sh.t Covid19 is.

tom p
Snowbonk

Post by tom p » Sat May 09, 2020 3:53 pm

Stay healthy, Don, mate

secret squirrel
Fuzzable

Post by secret squirrel » Mon May 11, 2020 11:35 am

dyqik wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:49 pm
secret squirrel wrote:
jimbob wrote:
Thing is, Trump's base probably won't turn out for someone who doesn't "make the libs cry". They're in it for the daily Twitter rants.
I don't know. I think a lot of the base will turn out for the Republicans anyway, and Trump is also unpopular with a lot of other people who generally vote Republican, and who the Democrats appear to be trying to court. It seems like the first argument that comes out about why it's important to vote for Biden is just how uniquely bad Trump is anyway. Harder to make that argument if Trump is dead.

Bird on a Fire
After Pie

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon May 11, 2020 11:46 am

secret squirrel wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:35 am
dyqik wrote:
secret squirrel wrote:

I don't know. I think a lot of the base will turn out for the Republicans anyway, and Trump is also unpopular with a lot of other people who generally vote Republican, and who the Democrats appear to be trying to court. It seems like the first argument that comes out about why it's important to vote for Biden is just how uniquely bad Trump is anyway. Harder to make that argument if Trump is dead.
It's an interesting question - were Trump to die before the election, would the Republican campaign be fought on trying to continue his legacy, or would they immediately throw him under the bus and try to go "back to normal", to win over the non-loony and less-loony conservatives that Biden is courting.

I expect it would depend on whether his replacement was able to excite Trump's base in the same way. I'm not sure Pence could, for example, but then again he's also relatively loony so might not have much success running as a 'sensible' candidate.

tom p
Snowbonk

Post by tom p » Mon May 11, 2020 11:50 am

Pence is only loony in a European context. To merkins he's straight-up mainstream republican.
Don't forget, America is a theocracy in all but name, so his extremist religious positions and extreme religiosity are normal for them.

headshot
Clardic Fug

Post by headshot » Mon May 11, 2020 12:14 pm

So Pence is now in self-isolation, along with Fauci and other science leaders. Pence’s press secretary and Trump’s personal valet both have COVID, yet Trumo isn’t isolating...

dyqik
After Pie

Post by dyqik » Mon May 11, 2020 12:47 pm

secret squirrel wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:35 am
dyqik wrote:
secret squirrel wrote:

Trump only won in 2016 by winning a few normally slightly Blue states - PA, OH, WI. He did that by turning out people who were habitual Democrat voters (based on family history with unions, etc.), but often didn't vote.

Take away Trump, and there's a very good chance that Cruz, Pence or someone like that is seen as part of the old "swamp", and they just don't turn out in sufficient numbers.

But remember we're taking 1 or 2% differences in turnout here to swing things.

FlammableFlower
Fuzzable

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon May 11, 2020 10:33 pm

And... having liberally sprinkled some racism along with the misogyny in his dealings with journalists, he walks out of his press conference.

Grumble
Snowbonk

Post by Grumble » Sat May 16, 2020 6:15 pm

This thread may have some Covid stuff in recently, not sure it’s a Covid thread as such though. Anyway, I just came here to laugh about “super duper missiles” and marvel at the mind that produced such a phrase.
I could squeeze my lemon till my blues went away, if I had possession over pancake day

jimbob
Catbabel

Post by jimbob » Sat May 16, 2020 11:03 pm

Grumble wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:15 pm
This thread may have some Covid stuff in recently, not sure it’s a Covid thread as such though. Anyway, I just came here to laugh about “super duper missiles” and marvel at the mind that produced such a phrase.
https://twitter.com/TomJChicago/status/ ... 13378?s=20

Well worth reading his tweets on Trump's decline

tenchboy
Fuzzable

Post by tenchboy » Sun May 17, 2020 9:42 am

jimbob wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:03 pm
Grumble wrote:

Lots of interesting stuff further down that page/thread/tab/tweet whatever you call it that you linked to jim: does it stay like that or does it change as more stuff is added?

Grumble
Snowbonk

Post by Grumble » Sun May 17, 2020 3:48 pm

My six y-o boy just demonstrated his super-duper turbo speed to me when running to the post box. Trump literally has the vocab of a six year old boy.
I could squeeze my lemon till my blues went away, if I had possession over pancake day

jimbob
Catbabel

Post by jimbob » Sun May 17, 2020 4:33 pm

tenchboy wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 9:42 am
jimbob wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 11:03 pm
Grumble wrote:

Lots of interesting stuff further down that page/thread/tab/tweet whatever you call it that you linked to jim: does it stay like that or does it change as more stuff is added?
I think it changes as more stuff is added. His pinned tweet is a very long thread now