Heroic teenagers

https://mobile.twitter.com/snickerpants ... 1207201792
Thanks for that
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

tom p
After Pie

Re: COVID-19 Heroes and Villains

Post by tom p » Mon May 11, 2020 4:28 pm

The people behind this are being heroic in their own way.
I saw on t'wireless that they have donated thousands of the headbands to various hospitals and care homes too to help nurses & others who have to wear masks all day not get the burn-like marks behind their ears that you get from wearing them all day.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon May 11, 2020 7:02 pm

tom p wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:28 pm
I saw on t'wireless that they have donated thousands of the headbands to various hospitals and care homes too to help nurses & others who have to wear masks all day not get the burn-like marks behind their ears that you get from wearing them all day.
At work, a couple of the engineers (a Pole and an Egyptian - about half my immediate colleagues and friends are immigrants) have been using the 3D printer in their lunchbreaks to make ear protectors for the nearby hospital.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Mon May 11, 2020 7:06 pm

jimbob wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 7:02 pm
tom p wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:28 pm
At work, a couple of the engineers (a Pole and an Egyptian - about half my immediate colleagues and friends are immigrants) have been using the 3D printer in their lunchbreaks to make ear protectors for the nearby hospital.
that's a lovely idea too.

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Mon May 11, 2020 7:26 pm

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Mon May 11, 2020 8:02 pm

I know a couple of these guys that have been 3D printing face shields for local care homes.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52561744
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon May 11, 2020 8:40 pm

Quite chuffed with my workplace:

40,000 face-shields supplied to local hospital*, they've also offered 62 accommodation places for free to NHS staff who have had to isolate from their families and students who have had to remain in uni accommodation are being given free meals (as are those staff who have had to go in to work to keep campus functioning at a minimum level).
They've also given those students who had uni accommodation, but not on campus, places on campus (that have been freed up by people going home) so they're more supported (and then free meals).

Plus other bits and pieces

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Mon May 11, 2020 10:00 pm

I managed 500 ear savers and 180 Prusa visor kits for our local CV resource centre before my trusty 3D printer went pop. Can't get spares at the moment though. Not bad for a Chinese piece of mass produced kit for £190. Our little local group of 3D loons have churned out tons of the things

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon May 11, 2020 10:22 pm

It's been really good to see what a community there is amongst those with 3D printers!

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Tue May 12, 2020 1:23 am

Well done veravista! :ugeek:
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

Imrael
Snowbonk

Post by Imrael » Tue May 12, 2020 7:25 am

I managed 500 ear savers and 180 Prusa visor kits for our local CV resource centre before my trusty 3D printer went pop. Can't get spares at the moment though. Not bad for a Chinese piece of mass produced kit for £190. Our little local group of 3D loons have churned out tons of the things
I did a bunch of ear savers (and caused another local enthusiast to do some more) but got a bit of a brush off on the visors (which for my setup are a lot longer to print). Neighbour (retired nurse with familty still front line) is a bit outraged that a local hospital who had 2 porters die, wont allow any form of "home made" protective kit for porters and cleaners. Not sure of the full story - thats at 3rd hand at least - but sounds annoying.

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Tue May 12, 2020 7:42 am

Imrael wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:25 am
I did a bunch of ear savers (and caused another local enthusiast to do some more) but got a bit of a brush off on the visors (which for my setup are a lot longer to print). Neighbour (retired nurse with familty still front line) is a bit outraged that a local hospital who had 2 porters die, wont allow any form of "home made" protective kit for porters and cleaners. Not sure of the full story - thats at 3rd hand at least - but sounds annoying.
<at the inquest>
And Madam Hospital Chief, when said person caught said infection was he wearing ppe to bs nnn as fully approved by this board?
No your honour he was wearing something that he brought in from home that his neighbour had knocked up in his shed.
Take 'er out and tuck 'er up! NEXT.
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Tue May 12, 2020 7:50 am

Well, that's the thing. A lot of the ear savers were put in scrubs bags (along with hand creams, fabric headbands and other bits) made up for the local hospitals and distributed by local village groups, the rest taken to the hospice and care homes as they're for comfort rather than protection. The visor parts were taken to the local assessment hub and presumably assembled and approved - no idea unless it was some sort of 'railings for the war effort' type con.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Tue May 12, 2020 7:51 am

veravista wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 10:00 pm
Do you have a ?CAD file? for them? My mate has a 3D printer and I'm sure he'd be interested in doing such a thing
ETA: the ear protectors, that is.
Also, good work, that man!

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Tue May 12, 2020 7:54 am

Not got the CAD file but have the STL files. Main one was from Prusa (the CV19 mk3 visor - print them singly, the multiples are a mess) and the ear savers were thingiverse. PM me an e-mail and I can send them with details.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Tue May 12, 2020 8:33 am

veravista wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:54 am
Not got the CAD file but have the STL files. Main one was from Prusa (the CV19 mk3 visor - print them singly, the multiples are a mess) and the ear savers were thingiverse. PM me an e-mail and I can send them with details.
Cheers. I'll check with my mate to see if he's up for it, then will drop you a line

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Tue May 12, 2020 9:43 am

my MP, yet again

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... -unopposed

and yet he still gets re-elected time and again - without ever setting foot in the constituency !!
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Tue May 12, 2020 9:48 am

My friends have been making visors https://www.gofundme.com/f/kent-ppe-for-nhs
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Tue May 12, 2020 9:48 am

Small beer really, but this tosser needs a good kicking.
tosser.PNG
tosser.PNG (489.8 KiB) Viewed 4494 times
And it's been reduced from £14.90

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Tue May 12, 2020 10:02 am

Lew Dolby wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:43 am
my MP, yet again

and yet he still gets re-elected time and again - without ever setting foot in the constituency !!
My MP feels that the whole world has overreacted.

He does at least set foot in the constituency (he likes doing photo ops with local groups) and he even attended the hustings for the last election though he really looked like he couldn't be bothered. Still won over 50% of the vote :roll:
it's okay to say "I don't know"

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Tue May 12, 2020 11:05 am

Fishnut wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:02 am

He does at least set foot in the constituency (he likes doing photo ops with local groups) and he even attended the hustings for the last election though he really looked like he couldn't be bothered. Still won over 50% of the vote :roll:
and Fox is a doctor. Why isn't he working in the front line. Other medical doctor MPs are managing it.
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Tue May 12, 2020 11:29 am

As mentioned before, my MP was even wrote to ministers demanding churches be allowed to open for Easter. Being someone who apparently can only focus on one single thing, and in his case it's playing soldiers - there was very little from him until VE day when it went rather bombastic... oh apart from a photo of him 'delivering PPE' - those substandard Tiger goggles...

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Tue May 12, 2020 11:39 am

Lew Dolby wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 9:43 am
my MP, yet again

At least the contract has gone to a firm that actually does testing. Chris Grayling would probably have commissioned an exam board

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Tue May 12, 2020 11:56 am

Fishnut wrote:

Oh wow. Your MP is disgraced former Defence Secretary Liam Fox??

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Tue May 12, 2020 12:02 pm

Lew Dolby wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 11:05 am
Fishnut wrote:

and Fox is a doctor. Why isn't he working in the front line. Other medical doctor MPs are managing it.
He's been an MP since 1992, probably not kept up with necessary professional qualifications and registrations, since they aren't necessary for disgracing yourself through grift