5G woo

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
JQH
After Pie

Re: 5G woo

Post by JQH » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:34 pm

So let me get this straight; people are buying things that block micro waves, putting their routers inside them - and then are surprised that their devices that connect to the router by means of microwaves will no longer do so?
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:40 pm

JQH wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:34 pm
So let me get this straight; people are buying things that block micro waves, putting their routers inside them - and then are surprised that their devices that connect to the router by means of microwaves will no longer do so?
As a former ISP tech support person, I can confirm that some people are, in fact, that stupid.
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:24 pm

Well if you are concerned about wireless frequencies, it makes sense to - I don't know, avoid wireless internet and mobile telephones.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:10 pm

I'm reminded of those filters to clip onto CRT monitor screens which were a fad for the worried well in the '90s. Some of those claimed to block 100% of electromagnetic radiation which was impressive when you could see through them.

On the other hand, in that case there was at least a hypothetical hazard involved since CRTs can emit a significant amount of x-rays if you turn the voltage up too high (not that the user had any way to do that).

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:31 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:10 pm
I'm reminded of those filters to clip onto CRT monitor screens which were a fad for the worried well in the '90s. Some of those claimed to block 100% of electromagnetic radiation which was impressive when you could see through them.

On the other hand, in that case there was at least a hypothetical hazard involved since CRTs can emit a significant amount of x-rays if you turn the voltage up too high (not that the user had any way to do that).
You could also buy aprons with lead sheets in them, which were advertised for pregnant women to wear when working at the computer. As if their CRT was powered by plutonium or something.
Something something hammer something something nail

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:00 pm

Same thing I suppose; fear of x-rays coming straight out of the screen. But at the time I was occasionally mending CRT monitors (when I failed to avoid getting that job) and the service instructions had setup procedures like checking the HT was, say, 28kV and do not exceed 32kV to prevent its emitting x-rays. Numbers pulled from my rear end but that was the gist. So it was at least a hypothetical issue. And if that didn't get you the ozone from the photocopiers would, so better get some activated carbon air filters for those too.