5G woo

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
sTeamTraen
After Pie

5G woo

Post by sTeamTraen » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:19 pm

I went on a bit of a rant on Twitter about mobile telecoms cranks, with a specific thought towards some of the 5G crankery I've been exposed to (geddit?) quite a bit lately on Facebook.

From one of the replies, it seems that County Wicklow council in Ireland has banned deployment of 5G in the county. WTF?

Large chunks of human progress sometimes seems to be in danger of getting shut down by cranks worried about sh.t, while an actual health disaster is raging upon us (which those same cranks very often seem to think is overstated, or a conspiracy by the Chinese and Big Pharma, etc etc.)

Do these people actually sincerely believe that 5G (and by extension, vaccines, chemtrails, etc) are being sent to kill us all? Or are they suffering from some strange micro-personality disorder that makes them think that every scientist in the world is wrong and only Karen* from Bromley* is right? Or do they just like attention?

*Other names and locations for cranks are available.
Last edited by Stephanie on Thu May 14, 2020 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Nerd Lab
Something something hammer something something nail

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Re: 5G woo

Post by Gfamily » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:30 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:19 pm
I went on a bit of a rant on Twitter about mobile telecoms cranks, with a specific thought towards some of the 5G crankery I've been exposed to (geddit?) quite a bit lately on Facebook.

From one of the replies, it seems that County Wicklow council in Ireland has banned deployment of 5G in the county. WTF?

Large chunks of human progress sometimes seems to be in danger of getting shut down by cranks worried about sh.t, while an actual health disaster is raging upon us (which those same cranks very often seem to think is overstated, or a conspiracy by the Chinese and Big Pharma, etc etc.)

Do these people actually sincerely believe that 5G (and by extension, vaccines, chemtrails, etc) are being sent to kill us all? Or are they suffering from some strange micro-personality disorder that makes them think that every scientist in the world is wrong and only Karen* from Bromley* is right? Or do they just like attention?

*Other names and locations for cranks are available.
On the other hand, OFCOM have just said that broadcasters should not allow 5G myths to be propagated.

Oh no, it's only "5G caused coronavirus" myths that are banned.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

FredM
Clardic Fug

Post by FredM » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:29 am

Great Twitter thread!

Regarding your association with the CEN, an old friend of mine (initials M-JC) was a sub-editor on that paper for many years until all the subs were sacked. You may have come across her.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:01 am

FredM wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:29 am
Great Twitter thread!
It's gone, if not viral, then completely nuts by my standards. People are retweeting it with "Best 5G thread evah!", etc. If I'd known, I would have crafted it with a bit more care. As it was I tossed it off in two minutes. (The engineer's anecdote is exactly as it was told to me. give or take entropy since I heard it; notably the bit about the school roof being the best place to reduce radiation levels for the kids, not that it matters anyway once you're more than 20cm from the transmitter.)
FredM wrote:
Regarding your association with the CEN, an old friend of mine (initials M-JC) was a sub-editor on that paper for many years until all the subs were sacked. You may have come across her.
It was about 1980, for about six weeks. I was young and I needed the money. :)
Something something hammer something something nail

FredM
Clardic Fug

Post by FredM » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:50 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:01 am
FredM wrote:
Great Twitter thread!
It's gone, if not viral, then completely nuts by my standards. People are retweeting it with "Best 5G thread evah!", etc. If I'd known, I would have crafted it with a bit more care. As it was I tossed it off in two minutes. (The engineer's anecdote is exactly as it was told to me. give or take entropy since I heard it; notably the bit about the school roof being the best place to reduce radiation levels for the kids, not that it matters anyway once you're more than 20cm from the transmitter.)
FredM wrote:
It was about 1980, for about six weeks. I was young and I needed the money. :)
I’m sure she was working there by then. She also used to write the occasional concert review.

One consequence of the mass sackings was front page headlines like this: “100PT SPLASH HEADING HERE” .

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:38 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... nspiracies

Can't we just cut the internet off from these idiots?
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Rich Scopie
Snowbonk

Post by Rich Scopie » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:20 am

Here's my favourite, although I suspect Poe's Law applies...
Attachments
5g.jpg
5g.jpg (48.3 KiB) Viewed 5517 times
It first was a rumour dismissed as a lie, but then came the evidence none could deny:
a double page spread in the Sunday Express — the Russians are running the DHSS!

FredM
Clardic Fug

Post by FredM » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:57 am

Peak Dunning-Kruger:
Screenshot_2020-04-05 Dr Naomi Wolf on Twitter RealAmericaSong FairGov AOC BernieSanders Princess_BamBam Democratic_Rep Spi[...].png
Screenshot_2020-04-05 Dr Naomi Wolf on Twitter RealAmericaSong FairGov AOC BernieSanders Princess_BamBam Democratic_Rep Spi[...].png (39.18 KiB) Viewed 5450 times

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:51 pm

I'm seeing this sh.t on my FB timeline. I don't know whether to counter their nonsense for the benefit of other readers or just unfriend them on the grounds that life's too short to waste arguing with stupid people.
Last edited by JQH on Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:52 pm

Needed to press edit not quote.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Martin Y
Stummy Beige

Post by Martin Y » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:07 pm

JQH wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:51 pm
I'm seeing this sh.t on my FB timeline. I don't know whether to counter their nonsense for the benefit of other readers or just unfriend them on the grounds that life's too short to waste arguing with stupid people.
Tempting to unfriend but maybe consider a reworking of what I said in the Corona Woo thread:
Martin Y wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:34 am
Hey, genius, that new phone in your pocket is a 5G transmitter too. Throw it in the canal. If it floats, it's a witch and you have to burn it. If it sinks, it was okay, but either way it gets you off the internet which will do everyone a favour.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:40 pm

Sounds like a plan. May well do that.

Fintan O'Toole

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:24 am

FredM wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:57 am
Peak Dunning-Kruger:
Screenshot_2020-04-05 Dr Naomi Wolf on Twitter RealAmericaSong FairGov AOC BernieSanders Princess_BamBam Democratic_Rep Spi[...].png
The best bit being that 5g rollout started in Belfast two months before she was there.

plodder
Stummy Beige

Post by plodder » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:08 am

Scientific American on 5G health risks including criticism of the current exposure limits for RFR. #notallwoo

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ob ... g-is-safe/

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:32 am

plodder wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:08 am
Scientific American on 5G health risks including criticism of the current exposure limits for RFR. #notallwoo

Does anyone have a mechanism for how non-ionising can damage DNA without heating? As that is one of the effects they discussed. Or even if the effect is actually there?
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Chris Preston
Snowbonk

Post by Chris Preston » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:45 am

plodder wrote:

Moskowitz has for the last decade played the brave maverick scientist claiming mobile phones cause cancer and moved from that to all RF radiation is dangerous. This is a blog on Scientific American and represents Moskowitz's fringe ideas.
Here grows much rhubarb.

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:24 pm

Chris Preston wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:45 am
plodder wrote:

Moskowitz has for the last decade played the brave maverick scientist claiming mobile phones cause cancer and moved from that to all RF radiation is dangerous. This is a blog on Scientific American and represents Moskowitz's fringe ideas.
Since I've been exposing myself to radiation at 10 times the power level and up to 300 times the photon energies that cellphones put out for 20 years, I think we can ignore that as complete and utter b.llsh.t.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:35 pm

⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:38 pm

dyqik wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:24 pm
Chris Preston wrote:
plodder wrote:

Since I've been exposing myself to radiation at 10 times the power level and up to 300 times the photon energies that cellphones put out for 20 years, I think we can ignore that as complete and utter b.llsh.t.
They usually start making up stuff about how it's the pulse pattern or something, at that point.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Boustrophedon
Stummy Beige

Post by Boustrophedon » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:24 pm

lpm wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:35 pm
Shamelessly stolen.
Hjulet snurrar men hamstern är död.

Grumble
Light of Blast

Post by Grumble » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:59 pm

FredM wrote:
Peak Dunning-Kruger:
Did she experience Belfast the way it was in the 1970’s?
where once I used to scintillate
now I sin till ten past three

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:16 pm

Grumble wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:59 pm
FredM wrote:
Peak Dunning-Kruger:
Did she experience Belfast the way it was in the 1970’s?
She didn't even experience a 5G free Belfast in 2019.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:12 pm

jimbob wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:32 am
plodder wrote:

Does anyone have a mechanism for how non-ionising can damage DNA without heating? As that is one of the effects they discussed. Or even if the effect is actually there?
Ah, as I suspected:
shpalman wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:38 pm
dyqik wrote:
Chris Preston wrote:
They usually start making up stuff about how it's the pulse pattern or something, at that point.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:06 pm

shpalman wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:38 pm
dyqik wrote:
Chris Preston wrote:

Which is pure "mind control ray" b.llsh.t.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:31 pm

Looks like it's true. A massive conspiracy to deliver New World Order via 5G masts, undertaken with the upmost secrecy.

How do we know? Because of the new £20 note. It has 5G mast on it. Clear as day, a 5G mast. With radioactive waves. On the £20 note.

What more proof do you need? The conspirators obviously put it on the £20 note to signal there's a top secret 5G plot to... er... to secretly... hang on... wait, how does revealing it fit with the top secret bit again?
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021