Nightingale Hospitals

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Pucksoppet
Snowbonk

Nightingale Hospitals

Post by Pucksoppet » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:49 pm

I confess, I'm a tad disappointed they are naming all the Emergency Hospitals "Nightingale". While I appreciate the historical resonance, it would have been nice if they could have included Mary Seacole, and possibly Rosalind Franklin.

ETA: And possibly, possibly, John Snow and Ignaz Semmelweis
Last edited by Stephanie on Thu May 14, 2020 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Weighty Matters

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Re: Nightingale Hospitals

Post by EACLucifer » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:50 am

Why exactly would we name a hospital after a businesswoman who ran an officers club, however fascinating or impressive?

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:38 am

Slight understatement of Seacole's role there, I think. AIUI it's pretty well documented that she helped sick and wounded soldiers too.

Franklin would be a good name for a genetics test lab, rather than a hospital. Semmelweis for public disinfection stations in case someone breathes too close, and John Snow for community health interventions.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:44 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:38 am
Slight understatement of Seacole's role there, I think. AIUI it's pretty well documented that she helped sick and wounded soldiers too.
She ran an officers club* selling food and drink, and patent remedies*. Her memoirs do mention giving first aid after battles on three occasions, but that she had gone there to sell refreshments

The modern claims made for Mary Seacole are vastly greater than any she made in her memoirs or otherwise, she simply did not have anything resembling the role Florence Nightingale had, and this can be ascertained fairly easily by examining contemporary sources and her own memoirs. Mary Seacole was a fascinating and I think decent person, and in many ways a trailblazer, but not as a nurse. Unfortunately, a narrative has developed that obscures the real Mary Seacole, and implies or downright states a rivalry with Florence Nightingale that simply did not exist.

*This is sometimes incorrectly described as a hospital, but it was only open in the daytime and not at all on Sundays.

**Ones that would almost certainly do more harm than good, but I don't think it would be fair to label her a quack as medical knowledge was radically less then than it is now, and she appears to have thought they would work.

greyspoke
Fuzzable

Post by greyspoke » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:21 am

The ones in Wales are not being called that, I think they are just being called "hospitals".

ETA for link, and if you read down one is being named a "Rainbow Hospital".
Last edited by greyspoke on Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

greyspoke
Fuzzable

Post by greyspoke » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:23 am

Confisingly, there is a Nightingale Hospital.

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:50 am

Given the timing of their arrival, I thought nightingale most appropriate.
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

greyspoke
Fuzzable

Post by greyspoke » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:08 am

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:27 am

Hopefully they won’t be hit by a nocturnal hurricane.

#coat

Pucksoppet
Snowbonk

Post by Pucksoppet » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:32 am

EACLucifer wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:44 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
She ran an officers club* selling food and drink, and patent remedies*. Her memoirs do mention giving first aid after battles on three occasions, but that she had gone there to sell refreshments

The modern claims made for Mary Seacole are vastly greater than any she made in her memoirs or otherwise, she simply did not have anything resembling the role Florence Nightingale had, and this can be ascertained fairly easily by examining contemporary sources and her own memoirs. Mary Seacole was a fascinating and I think decent person, and in many ways a trailblazer, but not as a nurse. Unfortunately, a narrative has developed that obscures the real Mary Seacole, and implies or downright states a rivalry with Florence Nightingale that simply did not exist.

*This is sometimes incorrectly described as a hospital, but it was only open in the daytime and not at all on Sundays.

**Ones that would almost certainly do more harm than good, but I don't think it would be fair to label her a quack as medical knowledge was radically less then than it is now, and she appears to have thought they would work.
Thank you for that EACL. I have obviously been taken in by modern claims.
The respective Wikipedia articles for comparison are here, as that is the source many people will go to for more information:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Nightingale
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Seacole

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:37 am

Pucksoppet wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:32 am
EACLucifer wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:44 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:

Thank you for that EACL. I have obviously been taken in by modern claims.
The respective Wikipedia articles for comparison are here, as that is the source many people will go to for more information:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Nightingale
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Seacole
I'd suggest this as a source too, for those without the time and energy to go to contemporary ones.

dccarm
Stargoon

Post by dccarm » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:23 am

Scotland's is being named after Louisa Jordan who I had shamefully never heard of until now.