Effective re-usable face-masks

Covid-19 discussion, bring your own statistics
shpalman
Dorkwood

Re: Effective re-usable face-masks

Post by shpalman » Sat May 23, 2020 4:00 pm

Italian seems to be the "cleanest" romance language compared to some of the weird orthography and pronunciation in the others, I'm really happy about being able to speak it. You've just got to exercise the usual caution with false cognates.
molto tricky

Bird on a Fire
After Pie

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat May 23, 2020 5:07 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:00 pm
Italian seems to be the "cleanest" romance language compared to some of the weird orthography and pronunciation in the others, I'm really happy about being able to speak it. You've just got to exercise the usual caution with false cognates.
A friend of mine teaches classics and says he can more or less get by on holidays on the strength of his Latin. Which is impressive if true.

To be fair he could also read a fair bit of Portuguese, but it's full of extremely strange noises when you do it out loud.

But yes, I sucked at languages at school but I quite enjoy having a decent extra one and a couple more works-in-progress now. Stretches a different part the brain, and I'd hate to be linguistically isolated from everyone around me for a long time.
When tyranny is law the Revolution is order

discovolante
Dorkwood

Post by discovolante » Sat May 23, 2020 5:15 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:07 pm
shpalman wrote:
A friend of mine teaches classics and says he can more or less get by on holidays on the strength of his Latin. Which is impressive if true.

To be fair he could also read a fair bit of Portuguese, but it's full of extremely strange noises when you do it out loud.

But yes, I sucked at languages at school but I quite enjoy having a decent extra one and a couple more works-in-progress now. Stretches a different part the brain, and I'd hate to be linguistically isolated from everyone around me for a long time.
When I watched Bacurau, with English subtitles of course, I felt almost bitter that I hadn't tried to learn Brazilian Portuguese rather than Spanish...mind you I'm not sure if the clarity of their speech was more a feature of the film.
don't get any big ideas, they're not gonna happen

Bird on a Fire
After Pie

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat May 23, 2020 5:39 pm

discovolante wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:15 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
shpalman wrote:

When I watched Bacurau, with English subtitles of course, I felt almost bitter that I hadn't tried to learn Brazilian Portuguese rather than Spanish...mind you I'm not sure if the clarity of their speech was more a feature of the film.
To be fair, Brazilian Portuguese is quite a lot easier than its continental counterpart, just like most of Latin Spanish is easier than that from Spain (as long as you stay away from parts of Chile and Argentina).

If I were a foreigner I'd probably rather start with US English than British as well, for the same reason - the American continent seems to encourage speakers of European languages to slow down, open their mouths and distinguish between different vowels.

discovolante
Dorkwood

Post by discovolante » Sat May 23, 2020 5:48 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:39 pm
discovolante wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:15 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:

To be fair, Brazilian Portuguese is quite a lot easier than its continental counterpart, just like most of Latin Spanish is easier than that from Spain (as long as you stay away from parts of Chile and Argentina).

If I were a foreigner I'd probably rather start with US English than British as well, for the same reason - the American continent seems to encourage speakers of European languages to slow down, open their mouths and distinguish between different vowels.
Yeah, I sometimes curse Spanish and how they only seem to pronounce every 6th syllable and even then barely bother with the consonants, and then I say something like 'whachonado' (what do you want to do) and think well, fair enough.
don't get any big ideas, they're not gonna happen

Bird on a Fire
After Pie

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat May 23, 2020 6:01 pm

Yeah I'm a right old mumblecunt, plus I make up words sometimes.

basementer
Fuzzable

Post by basementer » Sat May 23, 2020 6:31 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
shpalman wrote:
When I did a couple of short contracts in Milan, I found I could understand a fair bit of the technical discussions from schoolboy Latin. I'm sure someone who taught it would also be able to get by in more informal conversation.
I'll think of something.

EACLucifer
Fuzzable

Post by EACLucifer » Sun May 31, 2020 3:53 pm

Powerful array of arguments for masking here - https://science.sciencemag.org/content/ ... ce.abc6197, and a notably short and to the point abstract
Masks and testing are necessary to combat asymptomatic spread in aerosols and droplets

shpalman
Dorkwood

Post by shpalman » Sun May 31, 2020 4:31 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 3:53 pm
Powerful array of arguments for masking here - https://science.sciencemag.org/content/ ... ce.abc6197, and a notably short and to the point abstract
Masks and testing are necessary to combat asymptomatic spread in aerosols and droplets
When medical experts arrived in Lombardy in mid March one of the first things they asked was "why isn't everyone wearing masks?"

The authorities might have resisted for a while, insisting that social distancing was enough, but the public started wearing them anyway.

I'm not exactly sure what this week's rules are in Lombardy but they were generally obligatory when outside.
molto tricky