Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
shpalman
Princess POW

Re: Get well soon Boris

Post by shpalman » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:35 am

Stephanie wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:31 am
Operation Last Gasp really coming back to bite him on the arse eh
Were they confused about which end to fit the ventilator to?

Another use case for that science toilet you posted about.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:44 am

shpalman wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:35 am
Stephanie wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:31 am
Operation Last Gasp really coming back to bite him on the arse eh
Were they confused about which end to fit the ventilator to?

Another use case for that science toilet you posted about.
hahaha
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

greyspoke
Fuzzable

Post by greyspoke » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:00 am

Epic levels of whataboutery going on here.

secret squirrel
Snowbonk

Post by secret squirrel » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:26 am

greyspoke wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:00 am
Not sure what whataboutery has to do with it. Boris is a bad person and when he dies the world will be a slightly better place for him having left it. If it so happens that he dies from Covid-19 after his government were all 'does it really matter if a hundred thousand or so old and weak people die?', then in addition to the global balance of c.nt/not-c.nt being tilted slightly for the better, it will also be thematically satisfying.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:52 pm

It's not even just that. I don't wish anyone to die, but I shouldn't have to offer best wishes. Why? Thoughts and prayers don't cure covid, so Johnson is under no greater threat by me not giving a sh.t than if I did.

I'm just not into pointless displays of sympathy for c.nts.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:59 pm

secret squirrel wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:26 am
greyspoke wrote:
Not sure what whataboutery has to do with it. Boris is a bad person and when he dies the world will be a slightly better place for him having left it. If it so happens that he dies from Covid-19 after his government were all 'does it really matter if a hundred thousand or so old and weak people die?', then in addition to the global balance of c.nt/not-c.nt being tilted slightly for the better, it will also be thematically satisfying.
Yeah whataboutery would require highlighting one of the many c.ntish but irrelevant things Johnson has done throughout his life.

Whereas in this instance we have a person who has repeatedly made conscious decisions to endanger the public; in running down the UK's health and social care services for a decade, in refusing to engage in an EU-wide emergency procurement program because of the short-term optics, in prioritising the economy over public safety in delaying the lockdown for far too long and then botching its implementation, and even in consistently failing to follow his own basic advice regarding social distancing.

In each case he knew that his choices would result in additional death and morbidity but he did it anyway with relish, because he simply doesn't give a f.ck. It just never occurred to him that he personally could be the one to pay the blood price of his decisions for once.

My sister is a senior nurse who has spent the last few weeks desperately trying to scrounge together enough PPE to keep her team and her patients safe, yesterday she was on a course explaining to her the current guidelines on triaging the seriously ill, on deciding who will get the limited resources and who will be left to die, in preparation for the weeks to come. Even if we dodge the COVID-19 bullet personally, she is still going to have to live with those decisions for the rest of her life because of the choices Johnson has made. I don't specifically wish him any harm but if it comes to the crunch and you had to make that life-and-death choice between Johnson and A.N.Other could you, hand on your heart, choose Johnson?
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:06 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:52 pm
It's not even just that. I don't wish anyone to die, but I shouldn't have to offer best wishes. Why? Thoughts and prayers don't cure covid, so Johnson is under no greater threat by me not giving a sh.t than if I did.

It's a weird residual from the days when people believed prayers would actually work. We all know it's silly to pray for magical healing, but feel sending best wishes to strangers is somehow still the right thing to do.

Fits in with grieving for people we've never met. Fits in with the tribe-of-120-individuals things, where if we know a lot about a person then they must be a fellow tribe-member. Fits in with clique behaviour. And probably fits with bias towards extroverts - a feeling that loud gregarious people should be acknowledged while not giving the same attention to the shy and retiring.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Iron Magpie
Sindis Poop

Post by Iron Magpie » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:10 pm

Boustrophedon wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:40 am
tom p wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:54 am
greyspoke wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:37 am
You are very predictable lpm
But she's right.
What kind of lickspittle feels the need to wish a psychopathic c.nt well because he's a victim of his own arrogance?
He would kill every one of us without blinking if he thought it would personally enrich or empower him.
Plus, Boris is his stage name. Don't further the use of it. He's not your f.cking mate, and if he was, he'd have tried to f.ck your wife by now.
This.
+ a Googolplex

Iron Magpie
Sindis Poop

Post by Iron Magpie » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:12 pm

I suggested on fb that clapping for Bozo was in fact the right wing version of virtue signalling...

I'll leave it to your imagination how well that went down... :lol:

purplehaze
Fuzzable

Post by purplehaze » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:49 pm

If PM Johnson doesn't have pneumonia and is only in need of oxygen then why is he in an ICU?

A HDU would be better and would free up the space for those who actually need it.

I would have thought.

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:05 pm

purplehaze wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:49 pm
If PM Johnson doesn't have pneumonia and is only in need of oxygen then why is he in an ICU?

A HDU would be better and would free up the space for those who actually need it.

I would have thought.
I just came here to ask exactly this. I'm not a doctor or any kind of expert but if they are telling the truth about his condition and treatment, I cannot fathom why he needs to be taking up a precious ICU bed.

TopBadger
Catbabel

Post by TopBadger » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:11 pm

bagpuss wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:05 pm
if they are telling the truth about his condition and treatment, I cannot fathom why he needs to be taking up a precious ICU bed.
Because as PM he's more important than someone else's dad, mom, granddad, nan, etc...
You can't polish a turd...
unless its Lion or Osterich poo... http://dsc.discovery.com/videos/mythbus ... -turd.html

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:23 pm

TopBadger wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:11 pm
bagpuss wrote:
if they are telling the truth about his condition and treatment, I cannot fathom why he needs to be taking up a precious ICU bed.
Because as PM he's more important than someone else's dad, mom, granddad, nan, etc...
I have no idea whether you're being sarcastic or not, but I'm not sure it's relevant. If he's really in the condition stated and not on any kind of artificial ventilation, what benefit is he receiving from being in an ICU bed, that he couldn't receive equally as well in, say, an HDU bed? It's a genuine question as IANAD and may well be missing something.

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:25 pm

bagpuss wrote:
purplehaze wrote:

I would have thought.
I just came here to ask exactly this. I'm not a doctor or any kind of expert but if they are telling the truth about his condition and treatment, I cannot fathom why he needs to be taking up a precious ICU bed.
There has been a whole load of inconsistency all along about the publicly revealed info on his Covid status, how ill he is, how capable he is of working and all and all.

Still working from his hospital bed, which he apparently needed 'cos of a RTI? b.llsh.t! I've had flu several times and several chest infections, all of which flattened me and stopped me from getting downstairs, let alone being able to think enough to do any work. If you are ill enough with a RTI to need a hospital bed you are, pretty much by definition, not able to work...If he could work...

So, we are back to what I suggested before...

And him being PM and thus in need of "special treatment" just doesn't wash...It's not like there's a shortage of useless f.cks wanting the job, unlike say ICU clinicians or even delivery drivers...
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:30 pm

Little waster wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:59 pm
secret squirrel wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:26 am
greyspoke wrote:
Yeah whataboutery would require highlighting one of the many c.ntish but irrelevant things Johnson has done throughout his life.

Whereas in this instance we have a person who has repeatedly made conscious decisions to endanger the public; in running down the UK's health and social care services for a decade, in refusing to engage in an EU-wide emergency procurement program because of the short-term optics, in prioritising the economy over public safety in delaying the lockdown for far too long and then botching its implementation, and even in consistently failing to follow his own basic advice regarding social distancing.

In each case he knew that his choices would result in additional death and morbidity but he did it anyway with relish, because he simply doesn't give a f.ck. It just never occurred to him that he personally could be the one to pay the blood price of his decisions for once.

My sister is a senior nurse who has spent the last few weeks desperately trying to scrounge together enough PPE to keep her team and her patients safe, yesterday she was on a course explaining to her the current guidelines on triaging the seriously ill, on deciding who will get the limited resources and who will be left to die, in preparation for the weeks to come. Even if we dodge the COVID-19 bullet personally, she is still going to have to live with those decisions for the rest of her life because of the choices Johnson has made. I don't specifically wish him any harm but if it comes to the crunch and you had to make that life-and-death choice between Johnson and A.N.Other could you, hand on your heart, choose Johnson?
With you there!

Haven't spoken to The Sister for a week or so, but she's a senior nurse on a palliative care unit, so I would expect some even harder than usual discussions going on there. She was particularly vituperative about Johnson, Hancock and some others in an e-mail the other day...

purplehaze
Fuzzable

Post by purplehaze » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:34 pm

bagpuss wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:23 pm
TopBadger wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:11 pm
bagpuss wrote:
I have no idea whether you're being sarcastic or not, but I'm not sure it's relevant. If he's really in the condition stated and not on any kind of artificial ventilation, what benefit is he receiving from being in an ICU bed, that he couldn't receive equally as well in, say, an HDU bed? It's a genuine question as IANAD and may well be missing something.
I'm not a doctor either but I have been in an ICU patient, spent the night there, and I had no idea as I was totally out of it.

I hate messages from the Government like this. It's not reassuring and it leads to conspiracy theorists having a showdown.

And I will be very angry if he is taking up a valuable bed for someone else.

Needless to say, I will not be clapping for him tonight. I wish him and his family well and a speedy recovery though.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:38 pm

murmur wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:25 pm
There has been a whole load of inconsistency all along about the publicly revealed info on his Covid status, how ill he is, how capable he is of working and all and all...
Some of which is summarized in https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... o-hospital from yesterday evening.

tl;dr they've lied to us the whole time it's almost as if they're incapable of honesty, it just doesn't occur to them.
Some Conservative MPs are worried that Downing Street’s evasiveness on the seriousness of the prime minister’s condition will undermine trust in what they say going forward.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

murmur
Snowbonk

Post by murmur » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:58 pm

Thanks, Shpallers: I'd missed that one.

There must be a load of health types and former health types who, like me, were going, "Hang on a mo..."

greyspoke
Fuzzable

Post by greyspoke » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:03 pm

bagpuss wrote:
purplehaze wrote:

I would have thought.
Mrs g was an anaesthetist and she is perplexed as well. He doesn't appear to need to be in intensive therapy as none of his bits have stopped working*. He would need special treatment on account of security stuff.

*that was the gist of it, anyway.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:05 pm

What you need to remember is "Boris is a fighter and will recover". That's what happens with fighters. Men who are real men don't die. Dying is for wimps.

greyspoke
Fuzzable

Post by greyspoke » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:05 pm

Stephanie wrote:

There is a bit of a difference between best wishes and not-being-dead wishes, no?

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:08 pm

It might have been sensible to move him in last night, just to be able to react instantly if he got worse. Luckily for him his condition didn't worsen. Presumably he'll be moved back out of ICU this evening, seeing as he only needs a bit of oxygen delivered normally.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:11 pm

Two things occur to me

1 - They downright lied about his condition yesterday, claiming routine tests when he was clearly quite ill

2 - The optics of kicking someone out of ICU to their fate to save the PM would be awful. If they get him in there early, that won't happen. Of course, should demand exceed capacity, putting him in there prematurely is denying someone treatment to save the PM, but as nobody would be exactly sure who the unfortunate someone would be, the optics are gentler for the government.

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:52 pm

purplehaze wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:34 pm
I wish him and his family well
Which one?

Anyway, I'm surprised someone as wealthy and important Johnson isn't in a private hospital.

Oh wait, they only cherry-pick the easy stuff and leave the difficult stuff to the NHS.

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:12 pm

greyspoke wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:05 pm
Stephanie wrote:

There is a bit of a difference between best wishes and not-being-dead wishes, no?
What's your point?