Tone

Covid-19 discussion, bring your own statistics
User avatar
discovolante
Dorkwood
Posts: 1080
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Tone

Post by discovolante » Tue May 05, 2020 2:09 pm

Can anyone say what the issue might be with her tone here? Was this a Q and A where leading questions aren't allowed?

https://twitter.com/DrRosena/status/125 ... 51522?s=20
Last edited by Stephanie on Thu May 14, 2020 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved from Weighty Matters
don't get any big ideas, they're not gonna happen

User avatar
headshot
Clardic Fug
Posts: 163
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:40 am

Re: Tone

Post by headshot » Tue May 05, 2020 2:10 pm

discovolante wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:09 pm
Can anyone say what the issue might be with her tone here? Was this a Q and A where leading questions aren't allowed?

https://twitter.com/DrRosena/status/125 ... 51522?s=20
I suspect it was because she was speaking with the voice of a woman...

User avatar
Fishnut
Snowbonk
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:15 pm

Re: Tone

Post by Fishnut » Tue May 05, 2020 3:55 pm

I think Nish Kumar has a good suggestion

https://twitter.com/MrNishKumar/status/ ... 6837987333

User avatar
Woodchopper
Dorkwood
Posts: 1204
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: Tone

Post by Woodchopper » Tue May 05, 2020 4:12 pm

headshot wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:10 pm
discovolante wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:09 pm
Can anyone say what the issue might be with her tone here? Was this a Q and A where leading questions aren't allowed?

https://twitter.com/DrRosena/status/125 ... 51522?s=20
I suspect it was because she was speaking with the voice of a woman...
... who doesn’t know her place.

User avatar
Gfamily
Dorkwood
Posts: 1227
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm

Re: Tone

Post by Gfamily » Tue May 05, 2020 4:19 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 3:55 pm
I think Nish Kumar has a good suggestion

https://twitter.com/MrNishKumar/status/ ... 6837987333
He's very good.
I'm really impressed how "The Mash Report" has kept its quality up, certainly in comparison to HIGNFY, which is really struggling with the constraints of working remotely.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct

User avatar
Little waster
Snowbonk
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 am
Location: About 1 inch behind my eyes

Re: Tone

Post by Little waster » Tue May 05, 2020 6:17 pm

John Crace wasn’t impressed by Tigger.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... conscience
Shamelessly recycling old jokes since 1952.

FlammableFlower
Fuzzable
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Re: Tone

Post by FlammableFlower » Tue May 05, 2020 6:54 pm

discovolante wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:09 pm
Can anyone say what the issue might be with her tone here? Was this a Q and A where leading questions aren't allowed?

https://twitter.com/DrRosena/status/125 ... 51522?s=20
That is a really low comment. If your first choice of response is "Patronising" then a) don't speak and b) go away and have a good long look at yourself and take that moment to see what you've become (and it isn't nice).

"Hey Matt, not long now, you'll sound just like the president of the USA. Practice saying "that's a nasty question" in front of the mirror and you'll get there in no time."

Also - Nish is brilliant.

User avatar
jimbob
Catbabel
Posts: 868
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Location: High Peak/Manchester

Re: Tone

Post by jimbob » Tue May 05, 2020 8:04 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 6:54 pm
discovolante wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:09 pm
Can anyone say what the issue might be with her tone here? Was this a Q and A where leading questions aren't allowed?

https://twitter.com/DrRosena/status/125 ... 51522?s=20
That is a really low comment. If your first choice of response is "Patronising" then a) don't speak and b) go away and have a good long look at yourself and take that moment to see what you've become (and it isn't nice).

"Hey Matt, not long now, you'll sound just like the president of the USA. Practice saying "that's a nasty question" in front of the mirror and you'll get there in no time."

Also - Nish is brilliant.
I think Hancock has been treated worse than any President since Lincoln.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

raven
Clardic Fug
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:58 pm

Re: Tone

Post by raven » Wed May 06, 2020 3:51 pm

headshot wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:10 pm
I suspect it was because she was speaking with the voice of a woman...
I reckon it was because she made mention of manipulating the testing numbers. The truth hurts.

(Doctor who works on front line in A&E gets understandable angry while talking about breaking bad news to families and our woefully poor testing regime which is partly to blame for that happening so often. Man responsible for lack of testing asks her to watch her tone... Not good optics at all.)

tom p
Snowbonk
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:14 pm
Location: the low countries

Re: Tone

Post by tom p » Sat May 09, 2020 3:53 pm

raven wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:51 pm
headshot wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:10 pm
I suspect it was because she was speaking with the voice of a woman...
I reckon it was because she made mention of manipulating the testing numbers. The truth hurts.

(Doctor who works on front line in A&E gets understandable angry while talking about breaking bad news to families and our woefully poor testing regime which is partly to blame for that happening so often. Man responsible for lack of testing asks her to watch her tone... Not good optics at all.)
She didn't seem angry though

EACLucifer
Fuzzable
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:49 am
Location: Behind you

Re: Tone

Post by EACLucifer » Sat May 09, 2020 4:14 pm

tom p wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 3:53 pm
raven wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:51 pm
headshot wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:10 pm
I suspect it was because she was speaking with the voice of a woman...
I reckon it was because she made mention of manipulating the testing numbers. The truth hurts.

(Doctor who works on front line in A&E gets understandable angry while talking about breaking bad news to families and our woefully poor testing regime which is partly to blame for that happening so often. Man responsible for lack of testing asks her to watch her tone... Not good optics at all.)
She didn't seem angry though
The Tories seem to have decided that any question that isn't designed to flatter the Tory it is aimed at is somehow inappropriate and rude.

raven
Clardic Fug
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:58 pm

Re: Tone

Post by raven » Sat May 09, 2020 11:42 pm

tom p wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 3:53 pm
She didn't seem angry though
She didn't seem angry to you?

She did to me. A constrained and focused anger. Not outwardly livid or anything like that, but angry nonetheless I thought. It would be hard not to be in her shoes, I think.

Millennie Al
Stargoon
Posts: 135
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:02 am

Re: Tone

Post by Millennie Al » Sun May 10, 2020 1:41 am

discovolante wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:09 pm
Can anyone say what the issue might be with her tone here? Was this a Q and A where leading questions aren't allowed?

https://twitter.com/DrRosena/status/125 ... 51522?s=20
Her questioning was sharp, while the answering fell flat.
Covid-19 - Don't catch it: don't spread it.

tom p
Snowbonk
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:14 pm
Location: the low countries

Re: Tone

Post by tom p » Mon May 11, 2020 9:21 am

raven wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 11:42 pm
tom p wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 3:53 pm
She didn't seem angry though
She didn't seem angry to you?

She did to me. A constrained and focused anger. Not outwardly livid or anything like that, but angry nonetheless I thought. It would be hard not to be in her shoes, I think.
Sorry, badly worded.
Her tone of voice didn't come across as at all angry. Her body language had the look of a woman constraining her rage, for sure, but her voice didn't, which makes Hancock's dickish response even more dickish

User avatar
Tessa K
Catbabel
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Location: Closer than you'd like

Re: Tone

Post by Tessa K » Mon May 11, 2020 12:05 pm

He's a pompous, bullying, privileged white male who doesn't like being asked difficult questions by a woman.

Next question. :D

AMS
Clardic Fug
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:14 pm

Re: Tone

Post by AMS » Mon May 11, 2020 1:05 pm


User avatar
Tessa K
Catbabel
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Location: Closer than you'd like

Re: Tone

Post by Tessa K » Mon May 11, 2020 1:20 pm

I am staying alert to my tone.

User avatar
discovolante
Dorkwood
Posts: 1080
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: Tone

Post by discovolante » Mon May 11, 2020 1:30 pm

Yes IMO it was a racist, sexist comment, but because he didn't say anything racist and sexist anyone who doesn't already agree thinks you're being ridiculous because nobody could possibly be racist and sexist unless they use actual racist and sexist language. And if she calls him out on it she will be mocked.

I remember seeing a clip of Dawn Butler calling Boris Johnson racist on some TV news chat show thing and the presenters lost their sh.t, presumably because no Prime Minister could ever be racist. Which is a pretty big problem eh.
don't get any big ideas, they're not gonna happen

EACLucifer
Fuzzable
Posts: 331
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:49 am
Location: Behind you

Re: Tone

Post by EACLucifer » Mon May 11, 2020 1:52 pm

discovolante wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:30 pm
I remember seeing a clip of Dawn Butler calling Boris Johnson racist on some TV news chat show thing and the presenters lost their sh.t, presumably because no Prime Minister could ever be racist. Which is a pretty big problem eh.
This is particularly frustrating as one does not even need to infer anything from his actions, there's been explicit statements from him before.

ETA: Not to say that one can't infer prejudice from actions, obviously, and it fits with Johnson, but people losing their sh.t over someone being accused of being racist, when he's said downright racist stuff openly, is pretty ridiculous.
Last edited by EACLucifer on Mon May 11, 2020 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
discovolante
Dorkwood
Posts: 1080
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: Tone

Post by discovolante » Mon May 11, 2020 1:53 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:52 pm
discovolante wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:30 pm
I remember seeing a clip of Dawn Butler calling Boris Johnson racist on some TV news chat show thing and the presenters lost their sh.t, presumably because no Prime Minister could ever be racist. Which is a pretty big problem eh.
This is particularly frustrating as one does not even need to infer anything from his actions, there's been explicit statements from him before.
Yes exactly.
don't get any big ideas, they're not gonna happen

User avatar
murmur
Fuzzable
Posts: 346
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:09 am
Location: West of the fields

Re: Tone

Post by murmur » Mon May 11, 2020 4:47 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 12:05 pm
He's a pompous, bullying, privileged white male who doesn't like being asked difficult questions by a woman.

Next question. :D
Looks like that to me - especially a woman who is far better qualified and experienced in the relevant area than him (what exactly is Hancock qualified and experienced in?).
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk

User avatar
discovolante
Dorkwood
Posts: 1080
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: Tone

Post by discovolante » Mon May 11, 2020 5:01 pm

murmur wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:47 pm
Tessa K wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 12:05 pm
He's a pompous, bullying, privileged white male who doesn't like being asked difficult questions by a woman.

Next question. :D
Looks like that to me - especially a woman who is far better qualified and experienced in the relevant area than him (what exactly is Hancock qualified and experienced in?).
Funnily enough, PPE. He got a first. I wonder if that's where he gets confused now.
don't get any big ideas, they're not gonna happen

User avatar
Little waster
Snowbonk
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 am
Location: About 1 inch behind my eyes

Re: Tone

Post by Little waster » Mon May 11, 2020 5:28 pm

discovolante wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:01 pm
murmur wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:47 pm
Tessa K wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 12:05 pm
He's a pompous, bullying, privileged white male who doesn't like being asked difficult questions by a woman.

Next question. :D
Looks like that to me - especially a woman who is far better qualified and experienced in the relevant area than him (what exactly is Hancock qualified and experienced in?).
Funnily enough, PPE. He got a first. I wonder if that's where he gets confused now.
The one area of the public realm where a shortage of PPE would be appreciated.
Shamelessly recycling old jokes since 1952.

User avatar
Tessa K
Catbabel
Posts: 781
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Location: Closer than you'd like

Re: Tone

Post by Tessa K » Mon May 11, 2020 5:59 pm

Little waster wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:28 pm
discovolante wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 5:01 pm
murmur wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 4:47 pm


Looks like that to me - especially a woman who is far better qualified and experienced in the relevant area than him (what exactly is Hancock qualified and experienced in?).
Funnily enough, PPE. He got a first. I wonder if that's where he gets confused now.
The one area of the public realm where a shortage of PPE would be appreciated.
Shame the philosophy P didn't have more on ethics. Or maybe he skipped that bit.

User avatar
jimbob
Catbabel
Posts: 868
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Location: High Peak/Manchester

Re: Tone

Post by jimbob » Mon May 11, 2020 6:20 pm

discovolante wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 1:30 pm
Yes IMO it was a racist, sexist comment, but because he didn't say anything racist and sexist anyone who doesn't already agree thinks you're being ridiculous because nobody could possibly be racist and sexist unless they use actual racist and sexist language. And if she calls him out on it she will be mocked.

I remember seeing a clip of Dawn Butler calling Boris Johnson racist on some TV news chat show thing and the presenters lost their sh.t, presumably because no Prime Minister could ever be racist. Which is a pretty big problem eh.
Yes.

Still he's probably sunk his political career with that one statement. And Dr Allin-Khan really looked appropriately angry, but controlled and civil. And also far his superior.

And not only better-qualified, but also quicker-witted.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Post Reply