LOL

raven
Catbabel

Re: Tone

Post by raven » Mon May 11, 2020 11:01 pm

tom p wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:21 am
Sorry, badly worded.
Her tone of voice didn't come across as at all angry. Her body language had the look of a woman constraining her rage, for sure, but her voice didn't, which makes Hancock's dickish response even more dickish
I agree. Hancock behaved like a chauvanistic prat of the first order. I am of the opinion that women - anyone really, but particularly women - are allowed to be angry, and anger should never be met with the kind of patronising 'now, now, dear, don't upset yourself' reply Hancock gave.

Especially when we all end up talking about that, and not her excellent points about testing, PPE and manipulating statistics.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue May 12, 2020 8:35 am

It's not like the Tories have a history of being patronising to women, is it? Oh wait... Calm down, dear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8OFao9i6RQ

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Tue May 12, 2020 8:54 am

This is what Trump does when a woman dares ask him a difficult question... https://twitter.com/Botanygeek/status/1 ... 0726295552

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Tue May 12, 2020 5:31 pm

raven wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:01 pm
tom p wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 9:21 am
Sorry, badly worded.
Her tone of voice didn't come across as at all angry. Her body language had the look of a woman constraining her rage, for sure, but her voice didn't, which makes Hancock's dickish response even more dickish
I agree. Hancock behaved like a chauvanistic prat of the first order. I am of the opinion that women - anyone really, but particularly women - are allowed to be angry, and anger should never be met with the kind of patronising 'now, now, dear, don't upset yourself' reply Hancock gave.

Especially when we all end up talking about that, and not her excellent points about testing, PPE and manipulating statistics.
In a just world, Hancock reacting like that to someone taking this seriously and his attitude that the current situation isn't something worth getting worked up about - not that Dr. Allin Khan was worked up, though had she been, it would have been justifiable - should have the same effect on his career as Neville Chamberlain's "and I do have friends in this house" had on his.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Wed May 20, 2020 2:28 pm

Hancock doesn't seem to have been minding his tone today, what with trying to bray over Starmer. It's almost as if his whinging re: Dr. Allin Khan was about something other than tone...

Thankfully the speaker put him in his place pretty promptly, inc a "Do you want to leave the chamber?" when Hancock tried to argue the toss. Good to see Starmer stay cool and let him embarass himself, too.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Wed May 20, 2020 2:51 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:28 pm
Hancock doesn't seem to have been minding his tone today, what with trying to bray over Starmer. It's almost as if his whinging re: Dr. Allin Khan was about something other than tone...

Thankfully the speaker put him in his place pretty promptly, inc a "Do you want to leave the chamber?" when Hancock tried to argue the toss. Good to see Starmer stay cool and let him embarass himself, too.
"Do you want to leave the chamber?" is not far from 'Do you want to be put on the naughty step?'

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Wed May 20, 2020 8:44 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:51 pm
EACLucifer wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 2:28 pm

"Do you want to leave the chamber?" is not far from 'Do you want to be put on the naughty step?'
It's as if there are two conversations. Labour asking reasonable questions as to why things were not done, and the Conservatives behaving like a particularly obnoxious class of Year 9s.

Johnson saying that Starmer feigned ignorance was particularly stupid as Starmer hadn't said anything that that could have referred to.

Still, there was a comedy question by a Tory nonentity asking Johnson whether he agreed that the government was wonderful for announcing a new railway in his constituency.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Wed May 20, 2020 9:27 pm

Secretary of State for Health, I don't mind you advising the Prime Minister but you don't need to advise the Leader of the Opposition
Ah. Ah. Do you want to leave the Chamber...

Just watched it again and again and again:it is a f.cking JOY to behold!
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Thu May 21, 2020 2:37 pm

What the hell I just want to put this somewhere:
Screenshot_20200521-153511_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200521-153511_Chrome.jpg (694.73 KiB) Viewed 3150 times
He's going to get it one of these days
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu May 21, 2020 2:54 pm

discovolante wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:37 pm

Legend
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Thu May 21, 2020 3:10 pm

discovolante wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:37 pm

I'd love to see him throw the book at them. I mean, it's a heavy book, it'd probably leave quite a bruise.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:48 am

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:33 pm

discovolante wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:48 am
He's done it again: https://twitter.com/mattuthompson/statu ... 60289?s=20
Oh look, his whining is once again in response to being asked a difficult but essential question by an MP who just happens to be a member of an ethnic minority.

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:34 pm

discovolante wrote:
Top work D.
I saw that last week and thought it a bit off - sort of 'we'll have none of hat bl..dy bolshy talk round here mate'
And as soon as I saw the (bumped) thread title and read the first couple of posts, I thought, kuh, just the thread, if only it was up when I saw that thing the other week.
And there you've gone and posted the exact same thing!
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:40 pm

EACLucifer wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:33 pm
discovolante wrote:
Oh look, his whining is once again in response to being asked a difficult but essential question by an MP who just happens to be a member of an ethnic minority.
I mean, he did use incredibly offensive language such as 'not a dicky bird'.

Feels like it would be in poor taste to say something about calling on Bernadette Devlin McAliskey to show him division...but the lesson from that being that if you treat people with contempt you will eventually get contempt back.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:29 pm

discovolante wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:40 pm
EACLucifer wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:33 pm
discovolante wrote:
I mean, he did use incredibly offensive language such as 'not a dicky bird'.

Feels like it would be in poor taste to say something about calling on Bernadette Devlin McAliskey to show him division...but the lesson from that being that if you treat people with contempt you will eventually get contempt back.
It's the sense of entitlement that Hancock oozes even more than Johnson

As John Bull (@Garius) said on Twitter - https://twitter.com/garius/status/1306612091009347584
The only difference between Dido Harding here, and Matt Hancock in parliament, is that Dido doesn't look like she has sex in lay-bys.

She just looks like she dearly wishes she'd never said yes to this.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:45 pm

tenchboy wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:34 pm
discovolante wrote:
Top work D.
I saw that last week and thought it a bit off - sort of 'we'll have none of hat bl..dy bolshy talk round here mate'
And as soon as I saw the (bumped) thread title and read the first couple of posts, I thought, kuh, just the thread, if only it was up when I saw that thing the other week.
And there you've gone and posted the exact same thing!
As soon as I saw the thread title, I thought bet that's about Hancock and the dickie bird thing. He really doesn't like to have failings pointed out, does he. And it was a great deflection technique - he ducked the question entirely.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:35 am

He's also under a huge amount of pressure and perhaps isn't dealing with it very well.

That's not to excuse him btw. Obviously I wouldn't want to be health secretary during a pandemic but if he was better at his job maybe people wouldn't be giving him such a hard time.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:49 am

discovolante wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:35 am
He's also under a huge amount of pressure and perhaps isn't dealing with it very well.

That's not to excuse him btw. Obviously I wouldn't want to be health secretary during a pandemic but if he was better at his job maybe people wouldn't be giving him such a hard time.
And as Alan Johnson showed with such dignity*, if you aren't up to the job you should step down to allow someone better capable to take over rather than putting your own failing cabinet career prospects ahead of the lives of tens of thousands.

At least bowing out early keeps your integrity intact and leaves the possibility of a future comeback once happier times return, whereas continuing to publicly flounder as the bodies pile up is career ssuicide, unless you are called Chris Grayling natch.

*before doing the Masked Singer obv.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.