Impact on Universities

Covid-19 discussion, bring your own statistics
FlammableFlower
Catbabel

Re: Impact on Universities

Post by FlammableFlower » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:06 pm

Turdly wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:48 pm
I'm waiting for info from senior management at the moment.

The move to online exams meant we had control over the timetable so we had planned to have level 2 in labs from 18th Jan (no exams) and levels 1, 3 and 4 back in labs from 25th Jan. Realistically, we are now looking at mid-Feb at the earliest (as per official guidelines) but I'd be surprised if it is this side of the Easter holidays.

I'm expecting that UG projects will now go remote which means more planning/design rather than doing for the majority.

The non-lab teaching that was F2F was L1 tutorials and that was abandoned long ago due to more of them self-isolating than attending so, apart from possibly needing to bring it forward rather rapidly, online is not much of an issue.
Trying to work out if this in the gov guidelines (cheers for the link, I could find sod all on the gov pages last night that about unis and returning that hadn't been posted by them just before Christmas):
Courses which require Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Body (PSRB) assessments and or mandatory activity which is scheduled for January and which cannot be rescheduled (your university will notify you if this applies to you).
Covers Chemistry lab hours...?

Turdly
Stargoon

Post by Turdly » Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:34 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:06 pm
Turdly wrote:

The move to online exams meant we had control over the timetable so we had planned to have level 2 in labs from 18th Jan (no exams) and levels 1, 3 and 4 back in labs from 25th Jan. Realistically, we are now looking at mid-Feb at the earliest (as per official guidelines) but I'd be surprised if it is this side of the Easter holidays.

I'm expecting that UG projects will now go remote which means more planning/design rather than doing for the majority.

The non-lab teaching that was F2F was L1 tutorials and that was abandoned long ago due to more of them self-isolating than attending so, apart from possibly needing to bring it forward rather rapidly, online is not much of an issue.
Trying to work out if this in the gov guidelines (cheers for the link, I could find sod all on the gov pages last night that about unis and returning that hadn't been posted by them just before Christmas):
Courses which require Professional, Statutory and Regulatory Body (PSRB) assessments and or mandatory activity which is scheduled for January and which cannot be rescheduled (your university will notify you if this applies to you).
I was hopeful of that as well, particularly as that was what was in the previous guidance. However, I think that will be dependent on individual university management and ours have been pretty good at f.cking up lab teaching for no benefit so far (e.g. the pause in F2F teaching to change the arrangements in lecture theatres that meant we couldn't continue labs that weren't affected by the changes).
briefly Stephanie's favourite user

FlammableFlower
Catbabel

Post by FlammableFlower » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:53 pm

Well, separate emails from our VC and HoD indicate we'll lose at least the first two weeks of semester. Although Pharmacy Year 3 are allowed back. I think a quick email is required just to check.

FlammableFlower
Catbabel

Post by FlammableFlower » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:31 pm

Doh, wrong form of professional body!

Turdly
Stargoon

Post by Turdly » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:42 pm

Yep, confirmed no F2F before 22/02/2021 but we'll plan for no F2F before Easter.
briefly Stephanie's favourite user

snoozeofreason
Clardic Fug

Post by snoozeofreason » Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:09 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:06 pm
Turdly wrote:

The Office for Students had a more detailed list of of subjects where in-person teaching was to be prioritised. I think it was sent out to students at the end of last year. You will be reassured to know, I am sure, that it includes alternative medicines & therapies, complementary medicines & therapies, chiropractic, and nutrition.
In six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them. The human body was knocked up pretty late on the Friday afternoon, with a deadline looming. How well do you expect it to work?

FlammableFlower
Catbabel

Post by FlammableFlower » Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:07 pm

snoozeofreason wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:09 pm

...[snip]...

The Office for Students had a more detailed list of of subjects where in-person teaching was to be prioritised. I think it was sent out to students at the end of last year. You will be reassured to know, I am sure, that it includes alternative medicines & therapies, complementary medicines & therapies, chiropractic, and nutrition.
:shock: :evil: :shock: