Dominic Cummings in Durham

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
bob sterman
Dorkwood

Re: Dominic Cummings in Durham

Post by bob sterman » Mon May 25, 2020 7:01 am

WTAF??? Has the Attorney General just given everyone an excuse to break any law??? "Protecting one’s family is what any good parent does"

https://twitter.com/SuellaBraverman/sta ... 5975671810

EACLucifer
Stummy Beige

Post by EACLucifer » Mon May 25, 2020 7:31 am

bob sterman wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:01 am
WTAF??? Has the Attorney General just given everyone an excuse to break any law??? "Protecting one’s family is what any good parent does"

https://twitter.com/SuellaBraverman/sta ... 5975671810
It's important to remember that it probably had nothing to do with childcare, that's just the excuse. His kids have family in London, and there's a mutual aid group in Islington. One gets too ill to drive before getting too ill to keep a child going. Childcare is just a sliver of an excuse to stop the rabid tory nutters questioning before they rush to defend him.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon May 25, 2020 7:52 am

True, but it's a piss poor excuse that almost anyone can see through (unless you write the front page for the Telegraph, Times or Sun...). It's a fig leaf for those who don't want "their side" to lose, politically.

Whilst, if they're lucky they might get away with it in terms of keeping Cummings, but, it breeds the kind of response that was indicated in headshot's dialogue with his brother. And worse.

I'm half awaiting news that the police have been having to deal with thousands of lockdown rule-breakers that all claim to be called Dominic Cummings...

AMS
Snowbonk

Post by AMS » Mon May 25, 2020 8:09 am

David Allen Green was making this point about the childcare probably being a lie too, and how the need to maintain the lie gets the government more and more tied up in knots as further inconsistencies come to light.

I saw one of the legal twitterers refer to the trip to Barnard Castle as "the question the defendant can't risk answering."

Blackcountryboy
Stargoon

Post by Blackcountryboy » Mon May 25, 2020 9:04 am

The Bishops do not appear to be very happy with Boris and Cummings.
https://religionmediacentre.org.uk/news ... d-as-mugs/

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Mon May 25, 2020 9:41 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:26 pm
I think if the people who made the rules are happy to flout them egregiously when they judge it sufficiently safe, it's very hard to make the case that everyone else should follow them to the letter - especially when the rules rest upon a priori absurd notions, e.g. work colleagues being safer than family members. I think most people would rather hug a relative than have a staff meeting.

The UK's lockdown is totally wrong-headed in both conception and detail. A lot of technically rule-breaking stuff is much much safer than things people are being encouraged to do.
While some of the rules seem pretty stupid to me, and I'm not going to defend the UK's overall handling of them, there are a couple of reasons for introducing apparently stupid rules. First, it isn't about minimising the risk of covid; it's about *managing* the risk of covid with regard to the whole basket of adverse impacts. In simplistic terms, if sending people back to work now results in a few more covid cases but prevents a 1930s style depression or Weimaresque economic collapse, it will be a huge net saving of life. Second, it's more important that the rules be clear and actionable than that they be optimal in every circumstance. Inevitably there will be some activities apparently prohibited that are perfectly safe because you can't legislate for every edge case; that's why the list of "reasonable excuses" is not exhaustive in law. This appears to be the case with Cummings, though it's hard to be sure because they keep lying about what exactly he did.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon May 25, 2020 10:17 am

True, but for Cummings it still doesn't stack up. They may well be trying to make the "reasonable" excuse case. But it dissolves on inspection. His parents in Durham were not his closest proximity relatives. His wife's newspaper article. The additional sightings.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Mon May 25, 2020 12:14 pm

One of my neighbours had a two day party. Couple of police vans turned up but went away again. Maybe Dominic Cummings was there.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon May 25, 2020 1:47 pm

So, Cummings is due to make a statement.

What do you all reckon?:

f.ck you, I'm going nowhere.

You're all being so nasty, I'm still not going anywhere.

This has become a distraction from the crisis that we are detailing with (oh, so well) and as such I will step aside.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Mon May 25, 2020 1:50 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:47 pm

This has become a distraction from the crisis that we are detailing with (oh, so well) and as such I will step aside.
That's just crazy talk.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Blackcountryboy
Stargoon

Post by Blackcountryboy » Mon May 25, 2020 2:35 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:

What do you all reckon?:

Crisis? What crisis?

plebian

Post by plebian » Mon May 25, 2020 2:50 pm

He will announce a resignation. Boris's.

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Mon May 25, 2020 2:59 pm

While I've done nothing wrong the issue is clearly a distraction from the Government's crucial fight against the virus, so I've asked the head of the civil service to investigate the matter, and I shall take leave of absence while that happens

I watch too much In The Thick Of It

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Mon May 25, 2020 3:05 pm

Andrew Bridgen
@ABridgen
Many have judged Dominic Cummings without hearing his side of the story. That will change this afternoon and will be unprecedented. It’s possible that people will be surprised
Short of him confirming the rumours about what he did with the three bits of celery and a pangolin with a cough I doubt it, Andrew.

Unless he gives a full mea culpa, now that would be surprising.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.

plebian

Post by plebian » Mon May 25, 2020 3:15 pm

I'm intrigued to see what excuse or reason he thinks so extraordinary that it exceeds not being able to comfort bereaved family or be with a loved one when they die.

I suspect it will be more special pleading for the Dom the Messiah.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Mon May 25, 2020 3:29 pm

Little waster wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:05 pm
Andrew Bridgen
@ABridgen
Many have judged Dominic Cummings without hearing his side of the story. That will change this afternoon and will be unprecedented. It’s possible that people will be surprised
Short of him confirming the rumours about what he did with the three bits of celery and a pangolin with a cough I doubt it, Andrew.

Unless he gives a full mea culpa, now that would be surprising.
Ah, my former MP, before he was replaced by a good Labour MP, and now a rather unpleasant Tory
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Mon May 25, 2020 3:32 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:

What do you all reckon?:

I hope it’s the first one, because they’ve misjudged the public mood so badly (passing it off as lefty elite politicizing) that attitude could hole them below the waterline.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon May 25, 2020 3:50 pm

Yep, he's saying that he did the right thing under the circumstances.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Mon May 25, 2020 3:51 pm

So his story now includes a 1.5 hour round trip "test drive" from Durham to Barnard Castle to check his eyesight was OK to drive back to London.

:lol:

Vertigowooyay
Snowbonk

Post by Vertigowooyay » Mon May 25, 2020 3:56 pm

I sometimes have to have an eye check where they dilate my pupils. I do find the best thing to do when everything is blurry is to get into a ton of metal and see if it’s safe to drive or not.
Calm yourself Doctor NotTheNineO’ClockNews. We’re men of science. We fear no worldly terrors.

plebian

Post by plebian » Mon May 25, 2020 4:09 pm

The incongruity between his internal sense that he is correct and everyone looking at him like he shot their gran, must be very confusing.

Poor Dom. The burden of not only being right, but emphatically, with evidence, must be a terrible weight to carry.

I LOVE that he's going for the "it wasn't my behaviour, it was the fact you reported my behaviour" gambit. It's like an non-apology that's passed through itself.

I'm not wrong and if I am nobody would care if they didn't know about it.

plebian

Post by plebian » Mon May 25, 2020 4:12 pm

Andrew Bridgen
@ABridgen
Wtaf was this about? His side of the story appears to be what was reported but sneered. Nobody is surprised by this tale of Northumbrian buck passing.

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Mon May 25, 2020 4:13 pm

Oh my God.

Cummings thinks that giving people facts will override the impression they have.

'EU threatens your daily cuppa' wouldn't have got very far if that were true

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Mon May 25, 2020 4:36 pm

Vertigowooyay wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:56 pm
I sometimes have to have an eye check where they dilate my pupils. I do find the best thing to do when everything is blurry is to get into a ton of metal and see if it’s safe to drive or not.
Of course it's always important to take your spouse and 4-year old with you when you do this.

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Mon May 25, 2020 4:40 pm

bob sterman wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 4:36 pm
Vertigowooyay wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:56 pm
Of course it's always important to take your spouse and 4-year old with you when you do this.
Tbf you'll need someone in the car with good eyesight to confirm whether that was a pedestrian you had just ran over.

I'm impressed he kept a 4yo from needing a pee on a 5 hour journey. Pity the 30 min eye test was too much for the little'uns bladder.