One Quick And Easy Way to Beat Fake News...

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Fishnut
After Pie

One Quick And Easy Way to Beat Fake News...

Post by Fishnut » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:57 pm

Make the official messaging so confusing fake news pales in comparison.

The non-peer reviewed study is published on the LSE blog and has a write-up in The Conversation where the authors report that,
.. our six-week diary study of news audiences between April 16 and May 27 found that the vast majority of our panel of 200 participants could easily spot fake news.
...it wasn’t fake news being peddled on social media or conspiracy websites that was of most concern. When we asked them about what false or misleading information about COVID-19 they had encountered, many instead referenced examples of what they saw as government or media misinformation...
Our research suggests broadcasters may have helped people become fairly confident in spotting egregious examples of fake news. But many participants were confused by more routine political decisions, most strikingly the lockdown measures that can affect people in England differently to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Re: One Quick And Easy Way to Beat Fake News...

Post by FlammableFlower » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:03 pm

I have to admit, I haven't got a clue.

I've realised I'm heading towards that thing where they release an animal from captivity and it appears to prefer bring locked up...

Generally the only time I leave the house is to go to the allotment. Shopping gets delivered, with maybe the requirement to Click&Collect once a month.

The idea of being around lots of people is becoming quite alien.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:37 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:03 pm
I have to admit, I haven't got a clue.

I've realised I'm heading towards that thing where they release an animal from captivity and it appears to prefer bring locked up...

Generally the only time I leave the house is to go to the allotment. Shopping gets delivered, with maybe the requirement to Click&Collect once a month.

The idea of being around lots of people is becoming quite alien.
We unlocked here on the 1st of June, and there have been a total of <250 cases in my county. I still haven't been to a café or bar, even though being cooped has been getting to me badly. I think it's the way most people in public, including everyone working in cafés etc, is wearing masks and gloves and stuff. It's all just a bit creepy.

Imagine - me, with my reputation, not going out for a pint in over three months. Mrs BoaF and I were talking about it earlier, and might experiment tomorrow if the weather's nice enough to sit out.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:40 pm

Hang on - is this the right thread?
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.