Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
sTeamTraen
After Pie

Re: International travel

Post by sTeamTraen » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:55 pm

JQH wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:19 pm
They can probably work out where your phone is
I doubt that the army of slightly-above-minimum-wage track and trace people working from home have been given real-time access to a phone triangulation system. That would be a legal, ethical, and technical can of worms.
Something something hammer something something nail

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:27 am

And when has something being illegal ever stopped this government?
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:44 am

JQH wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:27 am
And when has something being illegal ever stopped this government?
They wouldn't give the phone tracking information* to the slightly-above-minimum-wage track and trace people working from home (because that would actually be useful) but rather to Dominic's misfit/weirdo mates.

* - the information would at best be what cell the phone was connected to; Italian government agencies made use of this information at a population level to see if people were generally obeying the stay-in-your-own-council-area lockdown instructions rather than f.cking off to their holiday homes.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:18 am

shpalman wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:44 am
if people were generally obeying the stay-in-your-own-council-area lockdown instructions rather than f.cking off to their holiday homes.
Which begs* the question, in that case how do Italian people test their eye-sight? :?
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:27 am

They jump on a scooter and go on a harassment run. If they travel more than 100 metres without shouting at a pretty girl, there's something wrong with their eyesight.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:16 pm

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:12 am

Brightonian wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:46 pm
Am in an airport now, and when I checked in my bag I was told my mask (one of these) wasn't suitable, and that I had to get a "surgical mask".

So I nipped round to the pharmacy and got a pack of so-called surgical masks. However, these fit less well than my original one which fits my face much more closely. What gives?
Was this in France? I've seen that Air France and a couple of smaller French airlines were planning to insist on surgical masks.

The Blindsave ones have four layers and seem to stop everything. I've tried blowing through them until my lungs hurt and it doesn't bend a flame 2cm away.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:34 pm

shpalman wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:16 pm
Portugal back off the safe travel list
Lol, my sister's coming back to stay on Monday. (Her roof started leaking again during the recent rains, so her landlord's evicted everyone from the building)

It'll probably be back off the list again by the time she wants to go home.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:27 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:34 pm
shpalman wrote:
Lol, my sister's coming back to stay on Monday. (Her roof started leaking again during the recent rains, so her landlord's evicted everyone from the building)
TELL ME MORE
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:31 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:12 am
Brightonian wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:46 pm
Am in an airport now, and when I checked in my bag I was told my mask (one of these) wasn't suitable, and that I had to get a "surgical mask".

So I nipped round to the pharmacy and got a pack of so-called surgical masks. However, these fit less well than my original one which fits my face much more closely. What gives?
Was this in France? I've seen that Air France and a couple of smaller French airlines were planning to insist on surgical masks.

The Blindsave ones have four layers and seem to stop everything. I've tried blowing through them until my lungs hurt and it doesn't bend a flame 2cm away.
Yes, Charles de Gaulle, but I was flying easyJet. It was at the easyJet check-in desk where I was told this, plus there was a notice repeating this by the gate for the flight. I don't remember seeing whether there were airport-wide signs (but wasn't really looking), but I did notice that a higher proportion of passengers compared with the outside world were wearing surgical masks.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:41 pm

discovolante wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:27 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
shpalman wrote:
TELL ME MORE
Forgot to reply to this.

Basically my sister's living in some dodgy slumlord place near Elephant and Castle that's been a constant nightmare. Last winter a bunch of water came pouring out of the electric sockets and the staircase collapsed, so after a few weeks of no heat, having to climb up a ladder balanced on some rubble, and getting no firm commitment from the landlord, she got onto the council who presumably held the landlords' feet to the fire because suddenly a bunch of contractors started turning up and starting bits of work and occasionally even finishing them.

Anyway the exact same problem just started happening again and the guy who did the works has left the country, so they've got a big mess to sort out and my sister's had enough - she'd rather just not pay them and never have to deal with them again. It sucks for the other tenants, though, especially as one is an EU immigrant and the other seems to have MH issues.

That's what £1000 a month gets you in central London these days, apparently.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:46 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:41 pm
discovolante wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:27 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:

TELL ME MORE
Forgot to reply to this.

Basically my sister's living in some dodgy slumlord place near Elephant and Castle that's been a constant nightmare. Last winter a bunch of water came pouring out of the electric sockets and the staircase collapsed, so after a few weeks of no heat, having to climb up a ladder balanced on some rubble, and getting no firm commitment from the landlord, she got onto the council who presumably held the landlords' feet to the fire because suddenly a bunch of contractors started turning up and starting bits of work and occasionally even finishing them.

Anyway the exact same problem just started happening again and the guy who did the works has left the country, so they've got a big mess to sort out and my sister's had enough - she'd rather just not pay them and never have to deal with them again. It sucks for the other tenants, though, especially as one is an EU immigrant and the other seems to have MH issues.

That's what £1000 a month gets you in central London these days, apparently.
Oh yikes, that sounds bad. Mind if I send you a PM?
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:58 pm

discovolante wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:46 pm
Oh yikes, that sounds bad. Mind if I send you a PM?
Of course not :)

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:17 pm

Just got back from Corfu, skillfully avoiding both the quarantine list and the Medicane ( though we had a cloudy day). Interesting points:

The Greek hospitality industry remains totally cash based, but you can't go in a shop without a mask

Went through UK border control without having to show my passenger locator form. Not sure whether it's because the automatic passport scanner links seamlessly to the PLF records and sees that I've completed one, or at 1am on a Sunday morning, Border Force just can't be arsed

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:21 pm

From what I've heard from a few people, they rarely bother to actually check your PLF - and not just at 1am.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:37 pm

They didn't check mine last month.

The Italians didn't check me on the way back either, and that was a paper form.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:06 pm

My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:36 am

Gfamily wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:06 pm
A very odd set of reports

https://www.repubblica.it/esteri/2020/0 ... 267989244/
Staying over with Evgeny Lebedev and getting his son baptised.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

AMS
Snowbonk

Post by AMS » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:17 am

shpalman wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:36 am
Gfamily wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:06 pm
A very odd set of reports

https://www.repubblica.it/esteri/2020/0 ... 267989244/
Staying over with Evgeny Lebedev and getting his son baptised.
It also mentions the zoom call to Tory MPs falling during the alleged trip, and how Johnson seemed to be having connection problems. You would have thought Downing Street would have pretty robust IT connectivity.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:11 pm

To be fair I'd expect a modern oligarch to have decent internet as well.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:34 pm

the Guardian report linked in the Tory Leader thread suggests that in Perugia the British prime minister they had in mind was actually Tony Blair, and that the baptism of Johnson's fuckoffspring took place in Westminster, or in Secret, whichever is closer. There aren't any photos of it, conveniently enough.

Thought it would have been weird to have gone to Perugia just for the baptism, but then, I don't know why it's been so long since the birth either.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:45 pm

shpalman wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:34 pm
I don't know why it's been so long since the birth either.
To be fair, everyone's been a bit busy. Plus presumably you don't book Westminster Cathedral for 30 people of whom 6 are carrying guns just a week in advance.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:16 pm

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:09 pm

shpalman wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:34 pm
the Guardian report linked in the Tory Leader thread suggests that in Perugia the British prime minister they had in mind was actually Tony Blair, and that the baptism of Johnson's fuckoffspring took place in Westminster, or in Secret, whichever is closer. There aren't any photos of it, conveniently enough.

Thought it would have been weird to have gone to Perugia just for the baptism, but then, I don't know why it's been so long since the birth either.
But while Johnson (probably) hasn't been here recently, Carrie Symonds has recently been to stay at the Grand Hotel Tremezzo with Wilfred and three friends (just up the lake from me).

I'm linking to an Italian report of that, to avoid having to link to, or indeed read, the Daily Mail or Daily Express. But that's why the Italian reports give the prices of the Italian hotel in terms of £ not €: they're basically just translating what the English press wrote. (They say £600 per night.)
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:17 am

A covid swab is now obligatory for anyone arriving in Italy from the UK.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk