International travel

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Chris Preston
Snowbonk

Re: International travel

Post by Chris Preston » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:24 am

International travel rules - HA. A cluster of 90 cases centred on the Northern Beaches of Sydney has resulted in a series of state border closures. The current rules include*: Queensland: anyone from Greater Sydney or who has travelled to Greater Sydney in the past 2 weeks cannot enter, anyone from elsewhere in NSW or who has travelled through NSW must apply for a pass. Victoria: anyone from Greater Sydney or who has travelled to Greater Sydney in the past 2 weeks cannot enter, anyone from elsewhere in NSW or who has travelled through NSW must apply for a pass unless you live in the border bubble. South Australia: anyone from Greater Sydney, Central Coast or Wollongong or who has travelled to those places in the past 2 weeks cannot enter, anyone from elsewhere in NSW or who has travelled through NSW must have a COVID-19 test on days 1, 5 and 11 after entering South Australia, but do not have to isolate. All travelers have to apply for a pass. Tasmania: anyone from Greater Sydney or who has travelled to Greater Sydney in the past 2 weeks has to quarantine at an approved premises for 14 days after entry. All travelers need to apply for a pass. Western Australia: No-one from New South Wales or South Australia is permitted entry. All others have to apply for a pass. From Christmas Day, South Australians will be permitted to enter Western Australia, unless they have spent time with someone from New South Wales in the past 2 weeks, in which case they will still be banned. Some states, but not all, allow their residents to return home and quarantine regardless of where they have been.

Needless to say that the travel industry is up in arms about the complexities of the rules. Not helped by the South Australian Police getting it wrong and turning away hundreds of people who were in fact permitted to enter the state.

*Those declared essential workers** are exempt from these rules.
**Includes freight truck drivers, police, emergence services workers, certain health workers, and politicians.
Here grows much rhubarb.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:58 am

Millennie Al wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:15 am
sTeamTraen wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:39 pm
How long does it take to drive a lorry onto a Eurotunnel train, detach the cab, and drive that out round the other end? And how do you get the cab off the front of the second trailer on the wagon - by helicopter?
Note what I said! I am merely pointing out a theoretical possibility. But to answer that speciaif question - if it's a problem, reverse them on and then the cab is at the right end to drive off.
Have a look at this video. There are 32 trucks on the train, and the cage that they travel in is a little over 700 metres long. So the first one has to reverse 700 metres, the second 680 metres, and so on. I can't imagine a 44-ton truck reversing at more than 0.5 metres per second. It is going to take a couple of hours to load the train, and that's assuming nobody scrapes the side and necessitates an inspection of the damage.

This (and the rest of your ideas, which would all need to work to make this possible) is only a theoretical possibility in the sense that human colonisation of Mars is a theoretical possibility.
Millennie Al wrote:
sTeamTraen wrote:
"Careful attention to logistics" -- how are you going to organise this? With an Excel sheet?
I'm not going to organise it at all. If it happens it will need to be organised by the people actually doing the work - hauliers etc.
Again, how? At least give us a waffer-theen clue as to how "the hauliers" are going to crowdsource a truck match-up scheme, including appropriate liability insurance. "Someone else can work it out" is the logic of the Brexiteers with their "intelligent Irish border" technology, and of the advocates of "protect the vulnerable, let us go to the pub" school of COVID denialists.
Something something hammer something something nail

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:48 am

Gibraltar loophole into Spain closed for Brits. Cue even more pissed off 2nd home owners in Andalusia all over the internet.
Time for a big fat one.

AMS
Snowbonk

Post by AMS » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:18 pm

Sounds like they're going to go with rapid turnaround covid testing for the lorry drivers, which sounds less of a logistical nightmare than reversing 1000s of 44 ton trucks off of train carriages.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:19 pm

"174 lorries."

Why oh why oh why does he say obvious lies today that he knows will make it even worse for him tomorrow?
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:47 pm

Because he only thinks about the problem immediately in front of him. If he thought about consequences he'd never have fronted Brexit.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:40 pm

lpm wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:19 pm
"174 lorries."

Why oh why oh why does he say obvious lies today that he knows will make it even worse for him tomorrow?
Han't really been keeping up with the press confos, so missed that and googled it and found it twittered; further down was one from John Redwood saying that we rely too much on imports and that we should grow our own [veg], which, as I had just been reading about a load more of Kentish fields having been concreted over for emergency lorry parks, I found somewhat ironic.
What a shower of c.nts they are.
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:19 pm

France is expected to reopen its border with the UK but only to its own nationals, French residents and professionals such as truck drivers, all of whom will have to provide a recent negative test

Britons or other non-French nationals with a permanent residence in France will be able to return.
The EU’s executive branch said UK nationals still had the right to free movement until 1 January and “should be exempted from further temporary restrictions provided that they undergo a test or quarantine”.
Damn EU enforcing freedom of movement...
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:03 pm

tenchboy wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:40 pm
lpm wrote:
"174 lorries."

Han't really been keeping up with the press confos, so missed that and googled it and found it twittered; further down was one from John Redwood saying that we rely too much on imports and that we should grow our own [veg], which, as I had just been reading about a load more of Kentish fields having been concreted over for emergency lorry parks, I found somewhat ironic.
I liked the reply to Redwood asking for advice on which variety of tomato to plant now that will be ready to harvest in a couple of weeks without the aid of a greenhouse...

I also discovered the twitter feed of Brian Moore (he of ex-rugby fame) - he's very anti-Brexit.

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:09 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:03 pm
tenchboy wrote:
lpm wrote:
"174 lorries."

I liked the reply to Redwood asking for advice on which variety of tomato to plant now that will be ready to harvest in a couple of weeks without the aid of a greenhouse...

I also discovered the twitter feed of Brian Moore (he of ex-rugby fame) - he's very anti-Brexit.
I can just imagine John Redwood as Hodge with his hoe working his way down a row of beets on a dark december morning, his boots frozen to the ground, his hands frozen to his hoe; he has never been more miserable, he looks up to the sky, offers a silent prayer, "why lord? why?"; a giant finger comes down from the sky, pointing at him and him alone, the lord's voice thunders from the heavens, "you got what you asked for you sniveling little f.ck wit, you said 'we', now get on with that f.cking hoeing".
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:18 pm

Update 1. (Quick scsave off bbc live)
Update 1.png
Update 1.png (196.72 KiB) Viewed 2618 times

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:19 pm

Update 2. Same.
Update 2.png
Update 2.png (22.83 KiB) Viewed 2616 times

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:28 pm

tenchboy wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:09 pm
I can just imagine John Redwood as Hodge with his hoe working his way down a row of beets on a dark december morning, his boots frozen to the ground, his hands frozen to his hoe; he has never been more miserable, he looks up to the sky, offers a silent prayer, "why lord? why?"; a giant finger comes down from the sky, pointing at him and him alone, the lord's voice thunders from the heavens, "you got what you asked for you sniveling little f.ck wit, you said 'we', now get on with that f.cking hoeing".
Or the UK could invite a whole lot of people to come over and do that farm work for him. They'd just need to be paid £25,600 each and pass an English language test, as fluency in English is of course vital for planting and picking vegetables.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:44 pm

Italy's "foreign office"* is mobilizing to get stranded Italians home from the UK.

* - which is semi-officially known as the La Farnesina after its headquarters.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:55 pm

tenchboy wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:19 pm
"Now nearly 3,000 lorries held in Kent."
Fake news.

I will shout it louder and louder till you believe it. Don't make me put rats on your face.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Little waster
After Pie

Post by Little waster » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:54 pm

lpm wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:55 pm
tenchboy wrote:
"Now nearly 3,000 lorries held in Kent."
Fake news.

I will shout it louder and louder till you believe it. Don't make me put rats on your face.
Spurious levels of precision make all FACTS 99.837% factier, FACT!
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:56 pm

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

AMS
Snowbonk

Post by AMS » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:39 pm

tenchboy wrote:
Update 2. Same.

Update 2.png
Using the airfield as a lorry holding site has been part of the Brexit plan for bl..dy ages now. Did no one involved at any point think we need (a) toilets (b) catering? Or did the planners not realise that these trucks have drivers?

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:10 pm

German aircraft to bring food to Britain. Fill in your own joke here, preferably involving Mark Francois and a toy Spitfire.

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:31 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:10 pm
German aircraft to bring food to Britain. Fill in your own joke here, preferably involving Mark Francois and a toy Spitfire.
Daily Express: Germans Offload Tons of Unwanted Food in UK Before Brexit Deadline

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:16 pm

Ich bin ein Berliner with not enough jam.

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:15 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:58 am
Millennie Al wrote:
sTeamTraen wrote:
"Careful attention to logistics" -- how are you going to organise this? With an Excel sheet?
I'm not going to organise it at all. If it happens it will need to be organised by the people actually doing the work - hauliers etc.
Again, how? At least give us a waffer-theen clue as to how "the hauliers" are going to crowdsource a truck match-up scheme, including appropriate liability insurance. "Someone else can work it out" is the logic of the Brexiteers with their "intelligent Irish border" technology, and of the advocates of "protect the vulnerable, let us go to the pub" school of COVID denialists.
By phoning each other up? Someone senior enough at one firm calls another to say there is a load that needs moving and can they help. If so, they discuss the formalities, such as insurance, liability, and paperwork, agree fees and eventually it happens. Even if it takes weeks to work out enough agreements, the loads would eventually start getting back to normal. Of course, that's as long as there isn't some other major disruptive factor thatthen gets in the way.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:27 pm

shpalman wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:44 pm
Italy's "foreign office"* is mobilizing to get stranded Italians home from the UK.

* - which is semi-officially known as the La Farnesina after its headquarters.
Interesting that they've said they'll allow "people resident in Italy" back in - the point being that Italian citizens who are resident in the UK should just stay in the UK.

They'll require (negative) covid tests before they leave and when they arrive and anyway will need to self-isolate for 14 days.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:26 pm

AMS wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:39 pm

Using the airfield as a lorry holding site has been part of the Brexit plan for bl..dy ages now. Did no one involved at any point think we need (a) toilets (b) catering? Or did the planners not realise that these trucks have drivers?
No. Well no-one 'from Whitehall' just the Sally Army, local and not so local charities, the local football club...

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:38 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:03 pm
tenchboy wrote:
lpm wrote:
"174 lorries."

Brian Moore is very clear about his views.

I'm really not sure that if I was the French, I'd be happy to accept lateral flow tests. With 1500 lorries you'd expect several drivers have the infection. Reducing the numbers by say 60% compared to allowing them in with no tests isn't a good gamble
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation