Long Covid

Covid-19 discussion, bring your own statistics
IvanV
Snowbonk

Re: Long Covid

Post by IvanV » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:05 pm

bagpuss wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:34 pm
I'm similarly under-educated in biology but I've found that the best way to make sense of unknown biological terms is to search specifically for images rather than all pages. I've just been doing exactly that on bits of ankle so it was the first thing I did when I read your post. If you do that for both endotheliopathy and endothelial cells, you'll find a whole host of diagrams, many specifically relating to COVID-19 as well, which should at least help make sense of all the words in the Wiki article, if not actually explain the whole thing.
Thanks, good idea. So what I got, in words I can understand is:

The endothelium is a continuous membrane of cells lining the interior of the blood vessel. Endothelial cells release substances that control vascular relaxation and contraction as well as enzymes that control blood clotting, immune function and platelet (a colorless substance in the blood) adhesion. Endotheliopathy - ie malfunction of the endothelium - is frequently part of what is going on in heart diseases.

Woodchopper
Stummy Beige

Post by Woodchopper » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:22 am

Prevalence of ongoing symptoms following coronavirus (COVID-19) infection in the UK: 7 October 2021

An estimated 1.1 million people living in private households in the UK (1.7% of the population) were experiencing self-reported “long COVID” (symptoms persisting for more than four weeks after the first suspected coronavirus (COVID-19) infection that were not explained by something else) as of 5 September 2021; this is up from 970,000 (1.5%) as of 1 August 2021, reflecting increased COVID-19 infection rates in July 2021.

The estimates presented in this analysis relate to self-reported long COVID, as experienced by study participants who responded to a representative survey, rather than clinically diagnosed ongoing symptomatic COVID-19 or post-COVID-19 syndrome in the full population.
Of people with self-reported long COVID, 831,000 (77%) first had (or suspected they had) COVID-19 at least 12 weeks previously, and 405,000 (37%) first had (or suspected they had) COVID-19 at least one year previously.

Symptoms adversely affected the day-to-day activities of 706,000 people (65% of those with self-reported long COVID), with 211,000 (19%) reporting that their ability to undertake their day-to-day activities had been “limited a lot”.

Fatigue was the most common symptom reported as part of individuals' experience of long COVID (56% of those with self-reported long COVID), followed by shortness of breath (40%), loss of smell (32%), and difficulty concentrating (31%).

As a proportion of the UK population, prevalence of self-reported long COVID was greatest in people aged 35 to 69 years, females, people living in more deprived areas, those working in health or social care, and those with another activity-limiting health condition or disability; compared with the previous month, prevalence of self-reported long COVID was notably higher among young adults aged 17 to 24 years and people working in the hospitality sector.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulation ... ctober2021

raven
Snowbonk

Post by raven » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:10 pm

Cheers for that, woodchopper.

405k reporting symptoms over a year later, and 211k reporting symptoms that limited day-to-day activities. That's a big burden of morbidity.

AnnaMia
Pop Chop

Post by AnnaMia » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:26 pm

It was so horrifying the very first days!
Now it is so much better, people are not in any fear.