Long Covid

Covid-19 discussion, bring your own statistics
raven
Fuzzable

Re: Long Covid

Post by raven » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:01 pm

That's very interesting. Although presumably some case of long covid do spontaneously resolve, so you'd have to take that into account.

From that article:
In a post on the blog Elemental, Iwasaki proposed three reasons vaccines might improve people’s symptoms: T cells, boosted by the vaccine, could eliminate a viral reservoir; a heightened immune response could clear any lingering virus fragments; or the vaccine may “divert autoimmune cells,” if long-lasting symptoms are the result of an inappropriate autoimmune response.
That last idea is very appealing. Whatever causes the mild fatigue/fibromyalgia-like symptoms I get, it always seems to stop when I get sick. I have wondered if that was down to giving the immune system a fresh target but also if it might just be diverting my attention to the more acute symptoms. It's very tempting to believe the former, but I suspect it's more likely to be the latter.

Woodchopper
Stummy Beige

Re: Long Covid

Post by Woodchopper » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:17 pm

Persistent neurologic symptoms and cognitive dysfunction in non‐hospitalized Covid‐19 “long haulers”

Mean age was 43.2±11.3 years, 70% were female and 48% were evaluated in televisits. The most frequent comorbidities were depression/anxiety (42%) and autoimmune disease (16%). The main neurologic manifestations were: “brain fog” (81%), headache (68%), numbness/tingling (60%), dysgeusia (59%), anosmia (55%), myalgias (55%), with only anosmia being more frequent in SARS‐CoV‐2+ than SARS‐CoV‐2‐ patients (37/50 [74%] vs (18/50 [36%]; p <0.001). Moreover, 85% also experienced fatigue. There was no correlation between time from disease onset and subjective impression of recovery. Both groups exhibited impaired quality of life in cognitive and fatigue domains. SARS‐CoV‐2+ patients performed worse in attention and working memory cognitive tasks compared to a demographic‐matched US population (T‐score 41.5 [37, 48.25] and 43 [37.5, 48.75], respectively; both p<0.01).
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/acn3.51350