500 quid

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
discovolante
Stummy Beige

500 quid

Post by discovolante » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:59 am

What would you spend yours on?

I'll probably spend it on my parking ticket in the city centre near the shops, because I'm not getting the bus unless I have to.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Little waster
After Pie

Re: 500 quid

Post by Little waster » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:39 am

Buy one of these magic money trees which is apparently now a thing.
This place is not a place of honor, no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here, nothing valued is here.
What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.
This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Post by Lew Dolby » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:48 am

comfortable enough off not to need £500 so I'd give it to the local food bank.
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:02 am

Lew Dolby wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:48 am
Only worth doing that if it can be spent on groceries.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:37 am

discovolante wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:02 am
Lew Dolby wrote:
Food banks do give out other stuff, like clothes and bedding (at least where I lived). Buying up a load of sleeping bags and tents for the forthcoming wave of homelessness could be useful.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:51 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:37 am
discovolante wrote:
Lew Dolby wrote:
Food banks do give out other stuff, like clothes and bedding (at least where I lived). Buying up a load of sleeping bags and tents for the forthcoming wave of homelessness could be useful.
Fair enough. Re tents, the Mayor of Liverpool banned them purportedly because they mask things like people dying, domestic abuse etc. It's a tough one but tents for tents' sake might arguably not be the best option.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:56 am

discovolante wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:51 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
discovolante wrote:

Fair enough. Re tents, the Mayor of Liverpool banned them purportedly because they mask things like people dying, domestic abuse etc. It's a tough one but tents for tents' sake might arguably not be the best option.
Blimey, really? I hope that was alongside some other measures, and not just "you have to sleep outside with no roof over your head so we can check you're still alive and not beating up your wife".

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:05 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:56 am
discovolante wrote:
Bird on a Fire wrote:

Blimey, really? I hope that was alongside some other measures, and not just "you have to sleep outside with no roof over your head so we can check you're still alive and not beating up your wife".
It's a while since I read about it, but it does appear to be in conjunction with a claim that there are enough spaces in night shelters for everyone.

The article I read is here: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019 ... this-at-30

And a slightly earlier local story here: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... p-16789814

I'm not entirely comfortable with the rhetoric he uses in the Echo story (e.g. not sure how many might be undocumented migrants or have other reasons to avoid the 'system'?) but it doesn't seem to be as straightforward as tents=good. As you say though there need to be other measures.

bjn
Stummy Beige

Post by bjn » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:29 am

Something louche. I'm in my Oscar Wilde mode at the moment.

Or something nice for other peeps.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:43 am

discovolante wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:05 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:56 am
discovolante wrote:

It's a while since I read about it, but it does appear to be in conjunction with a claim that there are enough spaces in night shelters for everyone.

The article I read is here: https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019 ... this-at-30

And a slightly earlier local story here: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... p-16789814

I'm not entirely comfortable with the rhetoric he uses in the Echo story (e.g. not sure how many might be undocumented migrants or have other reasons to avoid the 'system'?) but it doesn't seem to be as straightforward as tents=good. As you say though there need to be other measures.
Well that was a depressing read.

I can see the point that tents make it more difficult to check on homeless people's safety. On the other hand, hostels (especially the kind mentioned in the article, with sleeping bags and mats in a large hall) aren't always suitable for people with complex needs like mental health problems, addictions, histories of abuse etc., and I'm not sure that just banning one of the only other options homeless people have to stay warmer and drier is very fair - it seems to be taking away people's agency because they're not interacting how you'd like with a system that's out of their control.

Nevertheless I think you're general point is a good one - best to check with organisations directly (or even homeless people themselves) rather than make assumptions about what they do or should want. But I think Lew Dolby's idea to donate it is a nice one, and I'm sure that if the magic money tree does start blossoming some of these cash-strapped organisations will be grateful to receive donations.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:00 am

Yeah, I've had homeless clients reluctant to go into shelters even when I've been able to assure them that there aren't issues with drug and alcohol abuse in them. Also when they have drug problems themselves and have been subjected to physical and sexual abuse by other homeless people so their options as to where they can go safely are limited. So I can understand the motive but it seems to be a bit of a blunt instrument. But I suppose any solution that isnt the actual one of providing actual housing is going to have its problems...

Anyway this thread got cheery fast :P

If everyone donated, even though I can understand the reasons in terms of keeping business afloat, it would be an interesting 'f.ck you, if you're not going to help out then we will'. But it is £500 which is a LOT so I suspect it won't be happening on a mass basis...

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:10 am

discovolante wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:59 am
What would you spend yours on?

I'll probably spend it on my parking ticket in the city centre near the shops, because I'm not getting the bus unless I have to.
probably skulls and black stuff and crisps
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:17 am

A PS5 and VR rig, probably...

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:34 am

Save every penny you can (or invest in storable goods). 2021 is going to be hell.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

TimW
Catbabel

Post by TimW » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:44 am

Can I have it in Euros instead?

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:07 pm

The fraud industry is going to boom. I wish I was in the fraud industry.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Aitch
Snowbonk

Post by Aitch » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:34 pm

Errr...

People think they are going to get a voucher for £500 (assuming it gets announced as happening).
It's only usable on the high street.
So while waiting for it, they don't bother spending money on stuff, 'cause in a few weeks they can get it for 'free'.
Total spend at high street shops not raised by very much at all.

That's not going to help. They should announce it (if they do) just as they are posting them all out.

IMHO, of course...
Some people call me strange.
I prefer unconventional.
But I'm willing to compromise and accept eccentric

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:56 pm

Aitch wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:34 pm
Errr...

People think they are going to get a voucher for £500 (assuming it gets announced as happening).
It's only usable on the high street.
So while waiting for it, they don't bother spending money on stuff, 'cause in a few weeks they can get it for 'free'.
Total spend at high street shops not raised by very much at all.

That's not going to help. They should announce it (if they do) just as they are posting them all out.

IMHO, of course...
I don't know many people who regularly spend £500 on the High Street every few weeks (especially if groceries are discounted). That's more than I spend on everything (except rent and debt repayments) in an average month, for instance. If they exclude essentials, it could well encourage some extra spending.

Doesn't actually help people who are struggling to pay for essentials, of course, but the government doesn't actually care about them - they just want to look after big businesses.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:58 pm

Also, I suspect a lot of people would just go "ooo 500 extra quid, I'll spend it on something fancy" - not all consumers make perfectly rational decisions ;)

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:03 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:58 pm
Also, I suspect a lot of people would just go "ooo 500 extra quid, I'll spend it on something fancy" - not all consumers make perfectly rational decisions ;)
stop calling me out, boaf
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:06 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:03 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Nah it's much easier to justify splurging if it's a voucher. I mean I've spent the last 4 months spending money on little other than food, booze and books, oh and er leggings, but yeah basically there isn't a huge amount I would be able to get with a voucher that I wouldnt consider a bit of a luxury.

Anyway we're not getting them after all so this is Fake News. Boo.

TimW
Catbabel

Post by TimW » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:08 pm

Where's it gone?

Has my £500 morphed into a subsidised pizza but only Mon-Wed?

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:10 pm

TimW wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:08 pm
Where's it gone?

Has my £500 morphed into a subsidised pizza but only Mon-Wed?
Also quick buy a house for a quick half a mil while you're at it!

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:19 pm

Stephanie wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:03 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
oh god, me too though

Cardinal Fang
Snowbonk

Post by Cardinal Fang » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:57 pm

Cut in stamp duty helps those who can afford to buy houses. Still no help for those stuck in rental because we can't afford to buy (mostly because our exhorbitant rents prevent us from saving up sufficient for the vast deposits banks now seem to require to actually consider you for a mortgage).

CF