Anti-maskers

Covid-19 discussion, bring your own statistics
User avatar
tenchboy
Snowbonk
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:18 pm
Location: Down amongst the potamogeton.

Re: Anti-maskers

Post by tenchboy » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:03 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:53 pm
The mas[k de]bate. Why oh why oh why is there no Finbarr Saunders smiley?
cock.jpg
cock.jpg (5.56 KiB) Viewed 912 times

User avatar
sTeamTraen
Catbabel
Posts: 934
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Re: Anti-maskers

Post by sTeamTraen » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:09 am

discovolante wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:07 am
Well yes, but that's just a type of logic that can easily be flipped round the other way. I was curious what we knew about the reason why it has increased in those parts of Spain in particular.
Ah, sorry, I missed your actual question.

In some parts it's been traced to/blamed on cramped/poor living conditions among agricultural workers. In rural Catalonia I'm not sure. Anti-independence people are suggesting that this shows that the regime in Barcelona might not make a great job of running their own country. They probably ought to go for a full lockdown, but to do so requires asking Madrid and that means admitting that they are not in fact an autonomous republic, which in their heads they are since the declaration of 2017.

A big problem for the international relations aspect of this is that the unit of handling the problem is now the region (cf Scotland v England, or Catalonia v Canaries/Balearics), whereas the unit of international action is generally the nation state.
Something something hammer something something nail

User avatar
discovolante
After Pie
Posts: 1890
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: Anti-maskers

Post by discovolante » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:02 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:09 am
discovolante wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:07 am
Well yes, but that's just a type of logic that can easily be flipped round the other way. I was curious what we knew about the reason why it has increased in those parts of Spain in particular.
Ah, sorry, I missed your actual question.

In some parts it's been traced to/blamed on cramped/poor living conditions among agricultural workers. In rural Catalonia I'm not sure. Anti-independence people are suggesting that this shows that the regime in Barcelona might not make a great job of running their own country. They probably ought to go for a full lockdown, but to do so requires asking Madrid and that means admitting that they are not in fact an autonomous republic, which in their heads they are since the declaration of 2017.

A big problem for the international relations aspect of this is that the unit of handling the problem is now the region (cf Scotland v England, or Catalonia v Canaries/Balearics), whereas the unit of international action is generally the nation state.
Thanks, that's interesting. To pontificate without having any actual clue what I'm talking about, it doesn't seem to necessarily suggest they couldn't run their own country, but the level of stubbornness they seem to be displaying isn't massively encouraging. I assume the mechanism is that they couldn't institute a lockdown that they could actually enforce, or they couldn't mitigate against the economic impacts, or a bit of both?
don't get any big ideas, they're not gonna happen

User avatar
Little waster
Catbabel
Posts: 893
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 am
Location: About 1 inch behind my eyes

Re: Anti-maskers

Post by Little waster » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:12 pm

A post on another thread prompted me to go have a quick look at LDV for the lolz.

I check in every couple months for much the same reasons anthropologists are fascinated by uncontacted tribes in the Amazon and South Sea Cargo Cultists and I walk away with much the same conclusions.

Anyway most the BTL comments* on a mask thread**, certainly from the most prolific and vocal posters, are staunchily anti-mask, anti-lockdown and anti-vaxx for the usual infantile Libertarian reasons.


*not the greatest proxy I admit

**ATL it was also sneering about the policy too, although primarily from the fallacious logic that masks should have been compulsory from Day 1 so as they weren’t there is no point belatedly introducing them on Day 120 with a large side-order of “it shouldn’t be even be attempted because people won’t comply”.
People who use Godwin's Law are worse than Hitler.


FlammableFlower
Catbabel
Posts: 725
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Re: Anti-maskers

Post by FlammableFlower » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:53 am

And now for his next trick Gohmert says he's going to start taking hydroxychloroquine...

ETA - with a zinc and azithromycin chaser no less!

This seems to hit multiple threads - Corono-woo and COVID in the US

User avatar
Grumble
Dorkwood
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: Anti-maskers

Post by Grumble » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:10 am

headshot wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:07 pm
OF COURSE Laurence Fox is an anti-masker.
At least he’s actually wearing one. Hopefully he’s not taking it out on those around him. People are entitled to hate it as long as they comply. I’ve known 2 people have panic attacks from wearing them, hopefully as they become normalised panic attacks will reduce.
I know this is vitriol, no solution, spleen venting, but I feel better having screamed, don’t you?

User avatar
murmur
Snowbonk
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:09 am
Location: West of the fields

Re: Anti-maskers

Post by murmur » Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:55 pm

headshot wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:07 pm
OF COURSE Laurence Fox is an anti-masker.
Laurence darling, you're a mediocre actor who only got anywhere through your family connections and name. The only thing anyone outside your family needs to hear you say is something from a script. Now, be a good dear, shove that mask in yer gob and shut the f.ck up in public spaces!
It's so much more attractive inside the moral kiosk

User avatar
sTeamTraen
Catbabel
Posts: 934
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Re: Anti-maskers

Post by sTeamTraen » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:00 pm

discovolante wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:02 pm
Thanks, that's interesting. To pontificate without having any actual clue what I'm talking about, it doesn't seem to necessarily suggest they couldn't run their own country, but the level of stubbornness they seem to be displaying isn't massively encouraging. I assume the mechanism is that they couldn't institute a lockdown that they could actually enforce, or they couldn't mitigate against the economic impacts, or a bit of both?
My understanding is that they don't have the powers to enforce things like "Don't go out except for shopping or [minimally] walking the dog", which was the deal in the first 6-7 weeks of the Spanish national lockdown (we were not even allowed out for exercise). That required the declaration of a state of "alarm" (~"state of emergency"; it's complicated) from Madrid. Such a declaration doesn't have to be national in geographical scope, but my understanding is that only the central government can do it, for constitutional reasons to do with civil liberties of all Spanish citizen/residents. On the other hand, Catalonia can, again AIUI, close businesses down, because their licences to operate are regional.
Something something hammer something something nail

User avatar
headshot
Fuzzable
Posts: 311
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:40 am

Re: Anti-maskers

Post by headshot » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:09 pm

Ugh.
Attachments
580DDF1A-5331-4669-B859-72293D54B9DC.jpeg
580DDF1A-5331-4669-B859-72293D54B9DC.jpeg (295.71 KiB) Viewed 584 times

User avatar
Little waster
Catbabel
Posts: 893
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 am
Location: About 1 inch behind my eyes

Re: Anti-maskers

Post by Little waster » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:10 pm

Amount of effort to make and wear an anti-mask t-shirt and then go out in public and risk being refused service >>>> just putting on a mask, you f.cking overgrown toddler.

That’s some special cost-benefit analysis going on there.
People who use Godwin's Law are worse than Hitler.

User avatar
Little waster
Catbabel
Posts: 893
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 am
Location: About 1 inch behind my eyes

Re: Anti-maskers

Post by Little waster » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:15 pm

The irony of course is that masks are the only protection from the mind-control nanochips currently being dispersed in chemtrails by DARPA.

Spread the word.
People who use Godwin's Law are worse than Hitler.

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3808
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: nadir of brie

Re: Anti-maskers

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:40 pm

Masks make you ill? WTAF??

I've lined my mask with tin foil to keep the mind-control rays out. It is a bit more difficult to breathe now, but at least Soros China the 5G people Stewart Copeland jews whatever can't read my many, many, valuable and interesting independent thoughts that I came up with all on my own and definitely not from some dodgy facebook group. Wake up Shepley!!
“One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds.”
― Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac (1949)

#ShowYourStripes

Trinucleus
Clardic Fug
Posts: 183
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:45 pm

Re: Anti-maskers

Post by Trinucleus » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:40 pm

Masks also stop Them keeping track of you with face recognition technology

User avatar
Little waster
Catbabel
Posts: 893
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 am
Location: About 1 inch behind my eyes

Re: Anti-maskers

Post by Little waster » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:43 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:40 pm
Masks also stop Them keeping track of you with face recognition technology
TBF if I was James Delingpole I’d strongly support mask wearing just to save myself the shame of people in the street/close members of my immediate family recognising me as James Delingpole.
People who use Godwin's Law are worse than Hitler.

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3808
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: nadir of brie

Re: Anti-maskers

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:52 pm

I actually have a James Delingpole mask. I wear it when I'm doing something shameful and disgusting in public, like writing for Breitbart.
“One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds.”
― Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac (1949)

#ShowYourStripes

User avatar
lpm
After Pie
Posts: 1852
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm
Location: INJECT HIM WITH BLEACH

Re: Anti-maskers

Post by lpm » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:58 pm

headshot wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:07 pm
OF COURSE Laurence Fox is an anti-masker.

Quick, quick, anyone on twitter.

Call Laurence Fox a racist, or an idiot, or whatever mildly abusive terms you choose. He'll then libel you by calling you a paedophile.

You can then cash in on the law suit settlement. £ £ £

Didn't work with Elon Musk, but the UK libel laws means a pretty good chance for this.

https://twitter.com/nathanoseroff/statu ... 3550215174
I'll miss him after he's died in the pandemic

User avatar
Little waster
Catbabel
Posts: 893
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:35 am
Location: About 1 inch behind my eyes

Re: Anti-maskers

Post by Little waster » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:10 pm

You reckon he is trying to pull a "Producers" style scam*?

Get some overpaid rightwing numpties to give him £5m to set up ReNonce or whatever it is called and then immediately drive the whole rickety Ship of c.nts onto the rocks and claim the cash all went down in the wreckage?



*H/T The Brexit Party.
People who use Godwin's Law are worse than Hitler.

Post Reply