Back to school

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
badger
Fuzzable

Re: Back to school

Post by badger » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:37 am

Seems like Greenwich Councillor Danny Thorpe has got the jump on both DfE and the Mayor (who is pleadng for more testing of secondary, and to stay in tier 2).

Good on him for sticking his neck out.

Are the numbers shown to him by PHE that led to the decision publically available? I've seen whole case numbers by LA, but not by age (only national).

It seems as if DfE are completely unaware of the decision to have a restriction holiday at Christmas, and of schools' ability to survive entirely online. It's like they're queuing up to take the blame for Plaguemas.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:46 am

badger wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:37 am
Seems like Greenwich Councillor Danny Thorpe has got the jump on both DfE and the Mayor (who is pleadng for more testing of secondary, and to stay in tier 2).

Are the numbers shown to him by PHE that led to the decision publically available? I've seen whole case numbers by LA, but not by age (only national).
They're available at the regional level, e.g. for London.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

mediocrity511
Snowbonk

Post by mediocrity511 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:47 am

Got turned away at the school gates this morning, positive case in Miniocrity's class. What an end to the term.

badger
Fuzzable

Post by badger » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:54 am

shpalman wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:46 am
badger wrote:

Thanks, but looking for borough level and historical, as well as by age.

badger
Fuzzable

Post by badger » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:01 pm

mediocrity511 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:47 am
Got turned away at the school gates this morning, positive case in Miniocrity's class. What an end to the term.
Sympathies.

Thing#1 (yr 5) sent home on Thursday, with whole year/bubble. Online learning kicked in today and is great so far. He won't be back until new year, obvs.

Re Greenwich school closures, initial reporting didn't mention the fact they are going online, just that they'd closed, which seems to have started to change at latest glance of the news wires.

I'm assuming that private schools are off already? Christmas mixing is looking increasingly like it will affect the most disadvantaged disproportionately. Almost by design.

mediocrity511
Snowbonk

Post by mediocrity511 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:30 pm

Islington going online too and also announced they aren't returning to the classrooms until a week later on January 11th.

I think it's clear that the DfE have f.cked it, lost control of the situation and now individual councils are taking action.

Badger, I'm glad your online learning is great. Schools have had time to plan for this and everything should be much better than lockdown 1.

badger
Fuzzable

Post by badger » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:37 pm

mediocrity511 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:30 pm
Islington going online too and also announced they aren't returning to the classrooms until a week later on January 11th.

I think it's clear that the DfE have f.cked it, lost control of the situation and now individual councils are taking action.

Badger, I'm glad your online learning is great. Schools have had time to plan for this and everything should be much better than lockdown 1.
Mayor Sadiq Khan has also spotted the change in wind direction and is asking for early closure and move to online now. That might give a few more council leaders the nudge they need.

Oh to be a fly on the wall in Gavin Williamson's office. Can't be too long before he gets his own Downfall bunker meme video?

OffTheRock
Fuzzable

Post by OffTheRock » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:49 pm

mediocrity511 wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:30 pm

There definitely seems to be a change in admitting that there’s a problem. It started with the announcement about testing pupils last week. I don’t think it’s a surprise that the government have f.cked this up to secondary teachers. It seems to be a bit less of a problem in primary.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:13 pm

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:38 pm

badger wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:54 am
shpalman wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:46 am
badger wrote:

Thanks, but looking for borough level and historical, as well as by age.
https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details ... =Greenwich
beep-beep-beeeeeeep.png
beep-beep-beeeeeeep.png (85.42 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
Whole of London:
hot-in-the-city.png
hot-in-the-city.png (90.29 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

OffTheRock
Fuzzable

Post by OffTheRock » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:03 pm

OffTheRock
Fuzzable

Post by OffTheRock » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:07 pm

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ection.pdf

Looks like they really mean it too.

badger
Fuzzable

Post by badger » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:10 pm

Can't see this ending well for Private Pike.

PS. Thanks shpalman!

badger
Fuzzable

Post by badger » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:26 am

David Allen Green putting the willies up Williamson this morning. Seems like the legal threat is misapplied (to put it kindly).

tears of a SPAD

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:49 am

There was a high school head on Today this morning who was saying that whatever the government wants, the likelihood is that a lot of schools will have to close soon anyway. He has around 1300 kids, around 350 currently positive or self-isolating, as are 20-odd staff. And he's down to a single qualified first aider - if they have to self-isolate, the school closes regardless of anything the government might want.

I very much get the feeling that the minister is a tad out of touch with what "open schools" actually look like right now in a lot of places.

Our childminder's son is self-isolating again after being in contact with someone at school who has tested positive, so the bagkitten will not be going tomorrow, for what would have been her last afternoon there before Christmas*. We're (hopefully) going to see my mum for a couple of hours on Boxing Day so we're just not taking that risk. That's twice this term he's had to self-isolate and we're only in Tier 2, although my money's on us being Tier 3 come Jan, even without the Christmas effect. So I'm sure that secondary school kids in Tier 3 have probably been out of school for a substantial period of time, in any case. How are 3-4 more days working from home, at the end of term when things naturally wind down anyway, even in secondary schools, going to make that much difference to their education? I know it's complicated and many kids don't have what they need to access education from home, but schools in Greenwich spent Monday getting packs ready so that the kids all had their work on paper ready to take home so no IT would be needed.

* Although I still have to figure out how to get the bagkitten home from school as Mr Bagpuss and I are both on calls that can't be moved at pick up time. I'll probably just call in from my mobile, chuck myself on mute, and hope that I don't need to speak (it's unlikely, fortunately).

mediocrity511
Snowbonk

Post by mediocrity511 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:12 am

bagpuss wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:49 am
There was a high school head on Today this morning who was saying that whatever the government wants, the likelihood is that a lot of schools will have to close soon anyway. He has around 1300 kids, around 350 currently positive or self-isolating, as are 20-odd staff. And he's down to a single qualified first aider - if they have to self-isolate, the school closes regardless of anything the government might want.

I very much get the feeling that the minister is a tad out of touch with what "open schools" actually look like right now in a lot of places.

Our childminder's son is self-isolating again after being in contact with someone at school who has tested positive, so the bagkitten will not be going tomorrow, for what would have been her last afternoon there before Christmas*. We're (hopefully) going to see my mum for a couple of hours on Boxing Day so we're just not taking that risk. That's twice this term he's had to self-isolate and we're only in Tier 2, although my money's on us being Tier 3 come Jan, even without the Christmas effect. So I'm sure that secondary school kids in Tier 3 have probably been out of school for a substantial period of time, in any case. How are 3-4 more days working from home, at the end of term when things naturally wind down anyway, even in secondary schools, going to make that much difference to their education? I know it's complicated and many kids don't have what they need to access education from home, but schools in Greenwich spent Monday getting packs ready so that the kids all had their work on paper ready to take home so no IT would be needed.

* Although I still have to figure out how to get the bagkitten home from school as Mr Bagpuss and I are both on calls that can't be moved at pick up time. I'll probably just call in from my mobile, chuck myself on mute, and hope that I don't need to speak (it's unlikely, fortunately).
It's being reported that Greenwich have backed down. Poor teachers and families not knowing if they are coming or going. And teachers will need to be planning lessons with zero notice now, or just work through the same homework packs!

It just seems like such a ridiculous fight to pick. It would make things a bit safer over Christmas and reduce pupils having to self isolate.

I've not heard reports that Basildon are being threatened yet, despite them also calling for Schools to close...

mediocrity511
Snowbonk

Post by mediocrity511 » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:18 am

I'm also feeling pissed off about all this "schools are crucial for children's wellbeing". Because being trapped in the house, whilst their Dad is shut away in the attic is not good for my kid's wellbeing. The littlest doesn't understand why Daddy is in the house but won't see him and is acting up terribly. The eldest is worried about bringing covid into the house. Both need more fresh air and exercise than currently possible, but obviously that bit is the same for all self isolating children.

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:25 am

mediocrity511 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:12 am
bagpuss wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:49 am

It's being reported that Greenwich have backed down. Poor teachers and families not knowing if they are coming or going. And teachers will need to be planning lessons with zero notice now, or just work through the same homework packs!

It just seems like such a ridiculous fight to pick. It would make things a bit safer over Christmas and reduce pupils having to self isolate.

I've not heard reports that Basildon are being threatened yet, despite them also calling for Schools to close...
I just heard. If I were a teacher in Greenwich right now, I'd probably be plotting ministericide, only to relieve my stress, you understand, not with any intention to actually carry it out.*

I honestly cannot comprehend why the government is taking this stance. The Greenwich decision was sensible, evidence-based and reasonable, and they were going to a lot of effort to minimise the impact of closing. The government just looks idiotic** by making them open without any evidence at all to back up their insistence.

*Probably.
**Not hard for them to achieve, really, but still.

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:27 am

mediocrity511 wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:18 am
I'm also feeling pissed off about all this "schools are crucial for children's wellbeing". Because being trapped in the house, whilst their Dad is shut away in the attic is not good for my kid's wellbeing. The littlest doesn't understand why Daddy is in the house but won't see him and is acting up terribly. The eldest is worried about bringing covid into the house. Both need more fresh air and exercise than currently possible, but obviously that bit is the same for all self isolating children.
It must be incredibly tough on all of you. I hope for all of your sakes that at least the school holidays can make things a little easier for a short while.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:31 am

bagpuss wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:25 am
I honestly cannot comprehend why the government is taking this stance. The Greenwich decision was sensible, evidence-based and reasonable, and they were going to a lot of effort to minimise the impact of closing. The government just looks idiotic** by making them open without any evidence at all to back up their insistence.
It will be compulsory right up until the moment when it will be forbidden.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:34 am

shpalman wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:31 am
bagpuss wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:25 am
It will be compulsory right up until the moment when it will be forbidden.
Sounds about right. Anyone fancy a little flutter on the likelihood of a U-turn on a sixpence within the next 24 hours? :lol:

badger
Fuzzable

Post by badger » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:47 am

A shame, but understandable given use of expensive legal resources.

I wonder what attendance figures will be like for the next couple of days?

What happened in Islington? Did they get the same legal chill?

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:01 pm

mediocrity511 wrote:
Yes my daughter had to self-isolate in November, which she found tedious but at least she could understand- being in 6th form college
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

badger
Fuzzable

Post by badger » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:24 pm

More discrepancy in guidance (and possibly of use to those with kids in school and vulnerable family members):

https://www.pilc.org.uk/news/story/pilc ... -covid-19/

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:43 pm

jimbob wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:01 pm
mediocrity511 wrote:
Yes my daughter had to self-isolate in November, which she found tedious but at least she could understand- being in 6th form college
Whether or not schools/colleges should remain open seems to be one of the few points of genuine debate in the whole crisis, even among non-frootloops. I have a Dutch friend who is 100% behind every aspect of the science, masks, and lockdowns, but strongly opposed to keeping students (undergrads in his case) at home.
Something something hammer something something nail