How does North Dakota manage to top the score?

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
dyqik
Princess POW

Re: How does North Dakota manage to top the score?

Post by dyqik » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:06 pm

A major factor will be how often people travel from other hotspots into the region.

Another is how many dense population centers it has. And how interconnected the population centers are within the region, i.e. how many people travel between them daily or weekly and interact closely with people at each end.

I think a lot of the rural spread on the US has been via churches, as that's the densest gathering a lot of people see. Although Trump rallies have had a measurable effect.

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:03 pm

dyqik wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:06 pm
I think a lot of the rural spread on the US has been via churches, as that's the densest gathering a lot of people see. Although Trump rallies have had a measurable effect.
It's fun to make Darwin Award-type jokes about people who attend Trump rallies without masks, except that they then go on to infect non-idiots too. :(
Something something hammer something something nail

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:37 pm

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:09 pm

In the WaPo, by the public health director for the city of Bismarck and Burleigh County, North Dakota:

How North Dakota became a covid-19 nightmare

"Last week, White House coronavirus response coordinator Deborah Birx toured Bismarck and described our mitigation efforts as the worst of any of the places she's visited."

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:08 pm

Healthcare workers in North Dakota hospitals who test positive for COVID-19 will be allowed to continue working if they have no symptoms.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:31 pm

Doering says her experiences show a disturbing level of COVID-19 denial.

“The hardest thing to watch is that people are still looking for something else and they want a magic answer. They don’t want to believe that COVID is real,” she said in an interview with CNN.

“Their last dying words are ‘this can’t be happening, it’s not real,’ when they should be spending time FaceTiming their families, they’re filled with anger and hatred. It just made me real sad the other night. I just can’t believe those are going to be their last thoughts and words.”

She says some patients are convinced they have been misdiagnosed, sometimes suggesting they have cancer instead.

“We’ve even had people say I think it might be lung cancer. Something so far-fetched,” she said. “The reality is, since day one you’ve kind of been able to say if it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, it’s a duck. I hate to tell you that you have COVID, but that’s what you’ve had.”

Doering added her ER has been overwhelmed with COVID-19 patients, and while many are grateful for their care and thankful towards doctors and nurses, she notes those are not the cases she remembers.

“It’s a horror movie where the credits never roll,” she told CNN. “You just do it all over again and it's hard and sad, because every hospital, nurse and doctor in this state are seeing the same
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.5191235

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:42 pm

Woodchopper wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:31 pm
Doering says her experiences show a disturbing level of COVID-19 denial.
Yebbut that's South Dakota. Totally different culture innit.

( All I have left is black humour. The Trump death cult seems to be winning. :( )