Positives

Covid-19 discussion, bring your own statistics
nezumi
Sindis Poop

Positives

Post by nezumi » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:09 pm

Simple as I can, a thread for positive things that have come out of lockdown, in general, for you personally or for your friends and family. Not to detract from the awfulness of it all but to remind us that there are still good things in the world.

I contribute a better relationship with my pets. They've never been happier. I get to play with them loads more, to watch their snuffly little faces buried in bowls of food, to get to know them better. I have an extra ten hours a day with them and I value every second.

AMS
Fuzzable

Re: Positives

Post by AMS » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:26 pm

I no longer spend an hour a day driving. This allows me to walk my kids to school in the morning.

EACLucifer
Catbabel

Post by EACLucifer » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:22 am

Got to meet my neighbours a bit better over the fact that we're both shielding, via a series of conversations over the road.

bolo
Snowbonk

Post by bolo » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:06 am

Not spending two hours a day commuting is great.

We're saving a lot of money by not eating out in restaurants, and since we're cooking at home more, we're trying a lot of new recipes. Also we've started growing our own fresh herbs, and we've started getting a weekly veggie share from a local farm. And MrsBolo makes awesome bread.

At work, it's a lot easier to go to lectures/seminars/panel discussions/etc., because now that they are all virtual, I don't have to waste time traveling across town to get to them, and if they turn out to be bad I can leave as soon as I discover that, without feeling that I've wasted much effort.

Also at work, from time to time we put on seminars for clients. Now that these are all virtual, attendance is way up, presumably for the same reasons as above, and we get decent turnout from clients outside the DC area, who previously never used to come at all.

I play bridge. Now that the local clubs have gone virtual-only, I can play regularly with friends who live far away.

Bird on a Fire
Stummy Beige

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:14 am

Did a Twitter conference today, as part of the replacement for our usual annual conference (this year was a big anniversary as well).

Not only did I catch up with a few friends after seeing them in comment sections, I also got to see talks by people from all over the place - Venezuela, Argentina, Jamaica, Bangladesh, etc. - who wouldn't normally be able to make it. In general, I have found that I'm keeping in touch better with faraway folk, even if I'm not seeing the close folk as much.
“One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds.”
― Aldo Leopold, A Sand County Almanac (1949)

#ShowYourStripes

Bird on a Fire
Stummy Beige

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:14 am

Also it's much cheaper to get pissed at home.
“One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds.”

#ShowYourStripes

nezumi
Sindis Poop

Post by nezumi » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:09 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:14 am
Also it's much cheaper to get pissed at home.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You're not wrong

bob sterman
Fuzzable

Post by bob sterman » Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:46 am

Instead of talking to a half-empty lecture theatre - I get to talk to a half-empty virtual chat room - and I can't see the students falling asleep or hear them eating crisps.

discovolante
After Pie

Post by discovolante » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:15 am

Another to add to the no commuting.

I moved into an Actual House with a garden a few weeks before lockdown so got to try my hand at growing veg, and had some pretty good beginner's luck.

If this ever ends and we come out of it relatively unscathed, I am going to really enjoy just sitting in a pub with my friends again. Or even just inside their houses.

Partly also due to being in an Actual House and not a flat above neighbours, I've managed to get reasonably committed to regular exercise (even if I did accidentally f.ck my knees up a bit).
don't get any big ideas, they're not gonna happen

Martin Y
Dorkwood

Post by Martin Y » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:19 am

Instead of only seeing my mum and siblings a couple of times a year, we have a Zoom meeting every week.

I lost 10lb by not using the supermarket as an overstocked larder every weekday lunchtime.

Matatouille
Clardic Fug

Post by Matatouille » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:48 am

Only had 5 days without going for a walk since March, overall the impact on my health affecting habits has been positive.

Matatouille
Clardic Fug

Post by Matatouille » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:49 am

But my ability to push a button only once got worse.

jaap
Clardic Fug

Post by jaap » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:08 am

Matatouille wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:48 am
Only had 5 days without going for a walk since March, overall the impact on my health affecting habits has been positive.
I've been taking walks almost every day during lunchbreak, and seem to have lost about 10kg.

I saw a kingfisher in the garden yesterday, plunging into the pond and then flying off. Never seen one before, and it looked amazing. It was gone in seconds, so no chance to take a picture unfortunately.

Brightonian
Snowbonk

Post by Brightonian » Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:19 am

I'm enjoying my own space much more, and am quite content to spend 3-4 hours on my own in my bedroom. Before, I'd get bored quickly and go out all the time to pubs, cafes, events etc. Maybe not totally healthy now, but at least I'm saving a ton of money.
Martin Y wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:19 am
Instead of only seeing my mum and siblings a couple of times a year, we have a Zoom meeting every week.
I used to ring my father every day, but now a daily Zoom with him is a lot more comfortable and I think my father much prefers it.

bolo
Snowbonk

Post by bolo » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:38 pm

I'm seeing more wildlife in suburbia, including deer and foxes several times a week rather than maybe once a month. Not sure why that is. Maybe less traffic?

Seagull
Bank Butt

Post by Seagull » Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:59 pm

Zoom calls with family (weekly). Discovery of new places to walk in the local area. And found a lovely bakery. Not eating so much rubbish at lunch time (saving money on this too). Felt extremely grateful/appreciative for some of the (v simple) trips that we were able to make in the Summer.

nezumi
Sindis Poop

Post by nezumi » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:21 pm

Had a meeting at work today, I'm getting a free broadband upgrade and they've guaranteed WFH until at least March. They're also talking about fancy new equipment and giving us money for workstation upgrades. I'm so glad I work for this company during this thing, rather than literally every other place I've ever worked, which would all have laid us all off or ignored the pandemic completely.

sTeamTraen
Catbabel

Post by sTeamTraen » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:00 pm

Seagull wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:59 pm
Not eating so much rubbish at lunch time (saving money on this too).
I get the feeling that if the virus disappeared tomorrow, and even if people went back to work in offices almost as much as before, Pret/Starbucks/Greggs would be in for a big hit. I know several people who have worked out what they are saving on lunch (and commuting), and it's a big chunk of their net after-tax, after-housing income.

In fact I can imagine that people might accept slightly lower wages in future to be able to work at home, with higher wages being regarded as an incentive to do an office-based job (including compensation for travelcards, lunch costs, commuting time, etc). So you might see a customer support job in London advertised at £20K at home with up to 1 day in 10 to be spent in the office after the first two weeks (and in practice it might perhaps not even be that much), or a different version at £25K based in the office with occasional work-from-home days. The latter would also presumably be more of a "career track" post, but lots of people don't want a career (especially within one company).
Something something hammer something something nail

discovolante
After Pie

Post by discovolante » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:07 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:00 pm
Seagull wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:59 pm
Not eating so much rubbish at lunch time (saving money on this too).
I get the feeling that if the virus disappeared tomorrow, and even if people went back to work in offices almost as much as before, Pret/Starbucks/Greggs would be in for a big hit. I know several people who have worked out what they are saving on lunch (and commuting), and it's a big chunk of their net after-tax, after-housing income.

In fact I can imagine that people might accept slightly lower wages in future to be able to work at home, with higher wages being regarded as an incentive to do an office-based job (including compensation for travelcards, lunch costs, commuting time, etc). So you might see a customer support job in London advertised at £20K at home with up to 1 day in 10 to be spent in the office after the first two weeks (and in practice it might perhaps not even be that much), or a different version at £25K based in the office with occasional work-from-home days. The latter would also presumably be more of a "career track" post, but lots of people don't want a career (especially within one company).
That sounds like it could lead to some potentially interesting discrimination issues in time. But anyway this is not the thread for that.

bagpuss
Snowbonk

Post by bagpuss » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:31 am

I've been able to "attend" a conference for some software I use that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise. I've been to the European one several times over the past few years when it's been in London, but last year it was in Berlin and I'm not sure where it was supposed to be this year as I hadn't got round to looking into it before lockdown.

But they've turned it into a 3-day virtual conference and I've got lots of good stuff out of it over the last couple of days. I've been able to concentrate on the most useful sessions and have the interesting but not quite so useful stuff playing in the background while I got on with work.

Less tangibly, running club stopped over lockdown, obviously, and I had to choose between doing my progressively longer* runs on road or getting over my nervousness of running alone on quiet country footpaths. I went for the latter option and I've absolutely loved those long runs, up into the woods, across the fields, along the canal, exploring further and further from home as I've been able to run longer and longer distances. It's been absolutely wonderful and has definitely done great things for my state of mind over the summer. I loved it so much that I didn't go back to running club when they started up (partly because I was running too far by that point, although I could have incorporated a run club run into a longer run, as I have done before) and still haven't been back, although I am going to start back in a couple of weeks or so.

*I've been training for a half marathon and could only just about manage 10k at the start of lockdown.

kerrya1
Buzzberry

Post by kerrya1 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:44 am

No longer having to get up at 0630 to get myself, husband and two children out the door by 0715 so we can all get to school/work/nursery on time. Then having to work through lunch so I can leave work early enough to collect children from nursery and after school club before they close, and only getting us all home at 1815 most nights. Added together I spent about 3 hours a day commuting.

No longer having to make a healthy dinner for 4 people in 15 minutes so we can all eat together before bedtime for kids.

Spending more quality time with the children, and having the energy to play with them.

Finally having time and energy to spend sorting out our house so that it feels more like a home.

Realising that I can actually do my entire job from home and that I am still hitting all my targets and people are happy with what I'm doing.

shpalman
After Pie

Post by shpalman » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:21 am

We're relatively unlocked here, at least as far as work is concerned, but one useful feature which has been maintained is the ability to participate in pointless meetings in Milan remotely rather than actually having to waste time going there.
molto tricky

Bird on a Fire
Stummy Beige

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:51 am

I suppose a general summing-up for me is that it's really brought home how lucky/privileged I am in many respects. I have a secure work contract, secure accommodation, I like the people I live with, I'm in reasonably good health and live at a convenient distance from essential stuff like shops. I never before had appreciated the extent to which the material facts of my day-to-day were already reasonably robust to a pandemic.

#ShowYourStripes

nezumi
Sindis Poop

Post by nezumi » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:57 pm

I actually appear to have a new cat.

BadScience, and lately, Scrutable humanoids, meet Stitch... Please forgive me for gratuitous kitty pictures.
20200829_142826.jpg
20200829_142826.jpg (122.46 KiB) Viewed 210 times
Stitch turned up ragged and skinny in late June (ish). I fed him around the corner of the building a couple of times. I asked around to see if anyone was missing a black cat. Nobody in the neighbourhood is looking for one. I've done the paper collar thing etc. so yeah.

One day I left the patio door open, it was sunny and I think I was working. My husband came down, noticed a cat sleeping on the sofa and said, "hello Milo". It wasn't Milo.

Next thing I know...

This:
20201009_121333.jpg
20201009_121333.jpg (203.18 KiB) Viewed 210 times
So now I have a sewing supervisor who knows a sucker when he sees one and has moved in. Now I have to make absolutely sure he doesn't belong to anyone and get him chipped, neutered, flea-ed (no idea) and vaccinated.

And he is gorgeous. He is maybe 6-9 months old and he's already at least 4kg lean, he has ma-hoosive paws and he is a silly clumsy, adorable little love. Even Olga (oh go on then) doesn't hiss at him much and pretty much tolerates him.
20181119_204918.jpg
20181119_204918.jpg (164.73 KiB) Viewed 210 times

discovolante
After Pie

Post by discovolante » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:00 am

I've spent so much time looking out of my kitchen window that, now that the leaves are starting to turn and fall off the trees, I feel like I've been on a journey with them. There's currently a lovely gradual change from the green inner leaves to the yellow/red outer ones.