Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Covid-19 discussion, bring your own statistics
User avatar
discovolante
After Pie
Posts: 2092
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Post by discovolante » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:22 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:35 pm
Probably watching the rugger with the lads.

So, there you go. UK re-lockdowned next month as well. Turns out SAGE and Starmer were right all along.

Leaking to the media hours before the PM bothered to turn up was a nice touch.
We are staying in semi lockdown at least until Boris deigns to let us know if he will give us any more money.

ETA also Señor von Laté reckons he was late because he was having a stress poo.
don't get any big ideas, they're not gonna happen

User avatar
veravista
Fuzzable
Posts: 345
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:29 pm
Location: Directly above the centre of the earth

Re: Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Post by veravista » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:24 pm

They were all like that - sh.t powerpoint

Hunting Dog
Stargoon
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:48 pm

Re: Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Post by Hunting Dog » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:30 pm

AMS wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:14 pm
Lockdown from Thursday. Why not earlier?
Apparently so parliament can vote on it Wednesday! So I wonder what would happen if they rebel?

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Light of Blast
Posts: 4366
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: nadir of brie

Re: Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:42 pm

discovolante wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:22 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:35 pm
Probably watching the rugger with the lads.

So, there you go. UK re-lockdowned next month as well. Turns out SAGE and Starmer were right all along.

Leaking to the media hours before the PM bothered to turn up was a nice touch.
We are staying in semi lockdown at least until Boris deigns to let us know if he will give us any more money.

ETA also Señor von Laté reckons he was late because he was having a stress poo.
An intriguing theory. Please thank S von L from me for the mental imagine of Boris grimacing while curling one out in the Downing Street khazi.

I reckon there was loads of disagreement behind the scenes over it and that Boris couldn't be bothered to make a decision. And the poo thing.
THINK BIG AND UPEND THE SYSTEM

#ShowYourStripes

User avatar
Fishnut
Catbabel
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:15 pm
Location: UK

Re: Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Post by Fishnut » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:55 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:42 pm
discovolante wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:22 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:35 pm
Probably watching the rugger with the lads.

So, there you go. UK re-lockdowned next month as well. Turns out SAGE and Starmer were right all along.

Leaking to the media hours before the PM bothered to turn up was a nice touch.
We are staying in semi lockdown at least until Boris deigns to let us know if he will give us any more money.

ETA also Señor von Laté reckons he was late because he was having a stress poo.
An intriguing theory. Please thank S von L from me for the mental imagine of Boris grimacing while curling one out in the Downing Street khazi.

I reckon there was loads of disagreement behind the scenes over it and that Boris couldn't be bothered to make a decision. And the poo thing.
That was an image I could have done without!

DAG thinks that getting the furlough scheme extended is the cause for the delay.

User avatar
discovolante
After Pie
Posts: 2092
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Post by discovolante » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:02 pm

Sorry everyone.

I feel like Johnson saying he 'isn't going to ask anyone to shield again' was good code for 'we are not going to provide extra help for anyone who needs to shield'.
don't get any big ideas, they're not gonna happen

User avatar
Fishnut
Catbabel
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:15 pm
Location: UK

Re: Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Post by Fishnut » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:09 pm

discovolante wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:02 pm
Sorry everyone.

I feel like Johnson saying he 'isn't going to ask anyone to shield again' was good code for 'we are not going to provide extra help for anyone who needs to shield'.
You're not alone

AMS
Snowbonk
Posts: 420
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:14 pm

Re: Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Post by AMS » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:10 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:55 pm

DAG thinks that getting the furlough scheme extended is the cause for the delay.
More accurately, DAG quotes Dr Catherine Haddon (of Institute for Government), who thinks that...

User avatar
Opti
Snowbonk
Posts: 545
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:21 pm
Location: Got a home right by the sea.

Re: Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Post by Opti » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:14 pm

123399408_10164470308515456_2569421881463883887_n.jpg
123399408_10164470308515456_2569421881463883887_n.jpg (37.9 KiB) Viewed 402 times
He cannot be killed by conventional weapons. True. He and Mrs Opti are wicked cool.

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Light of Blast
Posts: 4366
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: nadir of brie

Re: Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:16 pm

These images just get worse and worse...
THINK BIG AND UPEND THE SYSTEM

#ShowYourStripes

User avatar
tenchboy
Snowbonk
Posts: 569
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:18 pm
Location: Down amongst the potamogeton.

Re: Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Post by tenchboy » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:22 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:16 pm
These images just get worse and worse...
What? Cos they han't bothered to photoshop a reflection of his arm into the mirror to match? Or because they think his dick is in his armpit?

User avatar
headshot
Fuzzable
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:40 am

Re: Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Post by headshot » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:28 pm

No mention of help for the self-employed either.

User avatar
discovolante
After Pie
Posts: 2092
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Post by discovolante » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:58 pm

There's our mikeh in the Guardian again, big sleb that he is. OK the live news feed.
don't get any big ideas, they're not gonna happen

plodder
Catbabel
Posts: 937
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:50 pm

Re: Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Post by plodder » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:56 pm

It takes time to make a presentation where technical detail is translated to a lay audience. I think the piss poor powerpoint suggests this decision was made very recently.

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Light of Blast
Posts: 4366
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: nadir of brie

Re: Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:58 pm

tenchboy wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:22 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:16 pm
These images just get worse and worse...
What? Cos they han't bothered to photoshop a reflection of his arm into the mirror to match? Or because they think his dick is in his armpit?
I assume it's a bit of warm-up nipple tweaking.
THINK BIG AND UPEND THE SYSTEM

#ShowYourStripes

User avatar
jimbob
After Pie
Posts: 1838
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Location: High Peak/Manchester

Re: Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Post by jimbob » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:02 pm

Meanwhile whilst the CCHQ twitter account keeps this up - it's worth a listen from only ten days ago:

https://twitter.com/CCHQPress/status/13 ... 88866?s=20

CCHQ Press 🤲😷↔️
@CCHQPress
·
Oct 21
.
@BorisJohnson
The Labour leader attacks local lockdowns when he wants to plunge the whole country into a full national lockdown

Something his own Shadow Health Secretary called "disastrous" #pmqs
The lack of judgement in this is on multiple levels, given that they were ignoring their scientific advice, and it was clear to anyone numerate that it was going to have to change.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

User avatar
TimW
Clardic Fug
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:27 pm

Re: Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Post by TimW » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:38 am

Not clear to Grant Shapps though. Obviously this isn't the most important issue, but 9 days ago he opened a travel corridor to the Canaries. Vast numbers of bookings ensued.

Airlines in scramble to find planes for holidaymakers to Canary Islands
Industry caught short as government unexpectedly removes islands from quarantine list


But now
https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/international-travel-ban-uk-four-week-lockdown-b1482052.html wrote: The government says: “Avoid all non-essential travel by private or public transport.”
"Overnight stays and holidays away from primary residences will not be allowed – including holidays in the UK and abroad."

According to easyJet’s Johan Lundgren, “Bookings went through the roof”. Many of those trips are for November, with many people desperate for a break.
Those trips are now off. To travel on holiday anywhere abroad before early December will break the lockdown rules, and therefore you cannot go.

User avatar
dyqik
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2788
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm
Location: Masshole
Contact:

Re: Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Post by dyqik » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:57 pm

plodder wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:56 pm
It takes time and skill to make a presentation where technical detail is translated to a lay audience. I think the piss poor powerpoint suggests this decision was made very recently.
Just adding an alternative reason for piss poor PowerPoint presentation...

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Light of Blast
Posts: 4366
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: nadir of brie

Re: Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:00 pm

We're getting another lockdown-ish in Portugal too. Not quite everywhere, but all the big urban centres are covered. Up to 4000 new cases a day which is a bit scary. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54766184
THINK BIG AND UPEND THE SYSTEM

#ShowYourStripes

User avatar
veravista
Fuzzable
Posts: 345
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:29 pm
Location: Directly above the centre of the earth

Re: Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Post by veravista » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:48 pm

dyqik wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:57 pm
plodder wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:56 pm
It takes time and skill to make a presentation where technical detail is translated to a lay audience. I think the piss poor powerpoint suggests this decision was made very recently.
Just adding an alternative reason for piss poor PowerPoint presentation...
It wasn't that, it was all facts and figures, very technical so it was obviously just ripped out of the official briefings. The point was that they didn't actually bother to get the aspect ratio right, one slide had the performance/ICU bed availability of all the trusts, but all you could see on the left was 'ds NHS Trust' or 'dation Trust'. And most of the date axes on the bottom were hidden under the scrolling news bar. f.cking useless.

User avatar
shpalman
After Pie
Posts: 2289
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Post by shpalman » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:01 pm

there's an infograph here about how occupied the Italian intensive care units are in the various regions

The brighter colours refer to how big an increase there has been since last week.
photo_2020-11-01_17-44-33.jpg
photo_2020-11-01_17-44-33.jpg (92.47 KiB) Viewed 149 times
Last edited by shpalman on Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
molto tricky

User avatar
discovolante
After Pie
Posts: 2092
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Post by discovolante » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:02 pm

Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase 'death by Powerpoint'. Ho ho ho.
don't get any big ideas, they're not gonna happen


User avatar
veravista
Fuzzable
Posts: 345
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:29 pm
Location: Directly above the centre of the earth

Re: Covid-19 the re-lockdown

Post by veravista » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:13 pm

And the same Italian information as per the UK government and the BBC
photo_2020-11-01_17-44-33.jpg
photo_2020-11-01_17-44-33.jpg (64.56 KiB) Viewed 93 times


Post Reply