Fomites

Covid-19 discussion, bring your own statistics
Brightonian
Fuzzable

Fomites

Post by Brightonian » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:15 pm

From this Bloomberg piece, "SARS-CoV-2 has been found to persist longer on smooth surfaces".

I'd been meaning to ask for a whole about how robust those findings of "1 day" on paper and cardboard, "3 days" on steel and plastic, and so on were (those findings were from 7-8 months ago I think). But now there's this suggestion that the virus can last a whole lot longer. Should I change my practices on how long I quarantine groceries etc.?

Gfamily
After Pie

Re: Fomites

Post by Gfamily » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:37 pm

Worth noting that the process seemed to have been designed to maximise viability
It involved drying the coronavirus in an artificial mucus on different surfaces, at concentrations similar to those reported in samples from infected patients, and then re-isolating the virus over a month. The study was also carried out in the dark, to remove the effect of ultraviolet light, as research has demonstrated direct sunlight can rapidly inactivate the virus.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Martin Y
Dorkwood

Post by Martin Y » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:51 pm

It does make one wonder how to treat fresh and frozen items when cool temperatures seem to preserve the virus as well as the food.

It does reinforce my view that stuff which can take a bit of heat can be decontaminated pretty quickly if you have a hot place to store it. At work there's been a lot of dithering over whether it's best to clean equipment between uses with alcohol wipes or with soap and water (for stuff like foam windshields from microphones) or maybe with UV, but I've been saying all along the simple answer is a sauna-hot store room or cupboard that stuff can just be left in overnight.

jimbob
After Pie

Post by jimbob » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:50 pm

We seem to have started concentrating on aerosols, but we do know from New Zealand that these are still potential problems:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/427 ... -infection
The Ministry of Health has identified a rubbish bin as the probable source of a recent Covid-19 case - a similar event to the case of a worker in Auckland who was infected by a lift button.
And cool, dark, damp areas that preserve organic material tend to prolong the viability of the virus.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

headshot
Fuzzable

Post by headshot » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:06 pm

We're still washing all of our groceries and quarantining packages etc, etc.

It's tedious, but so what?

FlammableFlower
Catbabel

Post by FlammableFlower » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:27 pm

jimbob wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:50 pm
We seem to have started concentrating on aerosols, but we do know from New Zealand that these are still potential problems:

The Ministry of Health has identified a rubbish bin as the probable source of a recent Covid-19 case - a similar event to the case of a worker in Auckland who was infected by a lift button.
And cool, dark, damp areas that preserve organic material tend to prolong the viability of the virus.
I know it's off-topic and rather insensitive, but that makes me think of the Golgafrinchams from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...

Trinucleus
Clardic Fug

Post by Trinucleus » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:25 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:27 pm
jimbob wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:50 pm

I know it's off-topic and rather insensitive, but that makes me think of the Golgafrinchams from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...
I dont think we're far off the coming of the great white handkerchief

Trinucleus
Clardic Fug

Post by Trinucleus » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:27 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:37 pm
Worth noting that the process seemed to have been designed to maximise viability
It involved drying the coronavirus in an artificial mucus on different surfaces, at concentrations similar to those reported in samples from infected patients, and then re-isolating the virus over a month. The study was also carried out in the dark, to remove the effect of ultraviolet light, as research has demonstrated direct sunlight can rapidly inactivate the virus.
The BBC modified their original report to say that virus in wet mucus had a much shorter active time

Grumble
Dorkwood

Post by Grumble » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:21 pm

headshot wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:06 pm
We're still washing all of our groceries and quarantining packages etc, etc.

It's tedious, but so what?
We never started doing that.
I know this is vitriol, no solution, spleen venting, but I feel better having screamed, don’t you?

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:07 am

There was a bit in the Lancet on fomites and that the other week: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lani ... 2/fulltext

It's only a wee letter, but there's a bunch of papers referenced if you fancy digging a little deeper.