Vaccine rollout in the UK

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
lpm
Junior Mod

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by lpm » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:14 pm

Currently 15 million doses in the UK, enough to cover first doses for all 15 million people in Cohorts 1-4. Not all tested etc, but no real problems on this front.

2.6 million jabs to 2.3 million people done already.

The government is making this look easy, and so they should. Could be a major triumph for Johnson.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:44 pm

I'm pretty pleased with the government right now and very optimistic for the rollout. I think they've got a good plan that's achievable and saves a lot of lives.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:13 pm

Apparently people don’t want to be vaccinated after 8pm...that’s when Corrie’s on innit??

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... on-centres

This can’t be true...surely.

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:50 pm

headshot wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:13 pm
Apparently people don’t want to be vaccinated after 8pm...that’s when Corrie’s on innit??

They didn't ask me, I'd turn up at 4am if necessary.
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:39 pm

Well people aren't going to want an appointment at night if they can't physically get there.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:56 pm

discovolante wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:39 pm
Well people aren't going to want an appointment at night if they can't physically get there.
That's something I've been thinking too. It's fine if you've got a car, but if you don't are they going to be putting on extra buses or are we supposed to walk?
it's okay to say "I don't know"

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:10 pm

I'd be happy to take a 4am appointment if it meant that there were more/sooner slots for people who needed to do it during the day for public transport or whatever reason.

I'm hoping that by the time I'm called up (I'd say late June / early July) it will be to the hospital which is a few minutes' walk up the road from me.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:13 pm

at https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/ ... ion-sites/ there's a link to a nice hi-res pdf.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:18 pm

My (nominally retired) cousin is 3 days a week working at a hospital in the East of England, and as of this week was due to start working the other two days at a vaccination centre. However, there were no supplies today, so they had to spend the day contacting and cancelling the 800 people who had been booked in.
Tomorrow, who knows...
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:35 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:53 pm
Not sure whether this should go in the Developing the Vaccine thread but anyway.

According to this the Pfizer vaccine has to be handled just right or it won't work. Sounds almost as difficult as preparing homoeopathic medicine.*

https://twitter.com/BBCRadio4/status/13 ... 07073?s=19
That explains why someone I know of based in Warwickshire had to drive up to Liverpool to be trained to give the Pfizer jab. It did seem a bit odd to gather all your vaccinators in one place for training.

ETA: Hooray! Our local GPs has finally got Covid vaccines. They were prepping the marquee out the back that they'd used for the flu jabs today. I was quite surprised. It's a fair sized GPs, but in a small town, in a mostly rural area, so it implies they've managed to get quite good coverage across the country, and that makes the whole thing look more promising.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:42 pm

raven wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:35 pm
Brightonian wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:53 pm
Not sure whether this should go in the Developing the Vaccine thread but anyway.

According to this the Pfizer vaccine has to be handled just right or it won't work. Sounds almost as difficult as preparing homoeopathic medicine.*

https://twitter.com/BBCRadio4/status/13 ... 07073?s=19
That explains why someone I know of based in Warwickshire had to drive up to Liverpool to be trained to give the Pfizer jab. It did seem a bit odd to gather all your vaccinators in one place for training.
I wonder if quite a few people are going to be inadequately vaccinated if some vaccinators forget a step or unknowingly jog a batch (or think a step is unnecessary etc.).

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:53 pm

I think the training was over two days, so they've probably had the instructions sufficiently drilled into them. And tbf, nurses are generally quite good at learning new procedures.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:31 pm

MrsH has had her first dose. There may be something wrong with it though as she's not connecting to the WiFi.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:43 pm

shpalman wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:10 pm
I'd be happy to take a 4am appointment if it meant that there were more/sooner slots for people who needed to do it during the day for public transport or whatever reason.

I'm hoping that by the time I'm called up (I'd say late June / early July) it will be to the hospital which is a few minutes' walk up the road from me.
I'd take a 4am slot for any reason tbh. But I have a car (well we'll see, it's getting its MOT tomorrow...)
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:53 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:56 pm
discovolante wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:39 pm
That's something I've been thinking too. It's fine if you've got a car, but if you don't are they going to be putting on extra buses or are we supposed to walk?
They're planning to recoup the cost of the vaccine via hospital parking fees.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:39 am

Still no news from my 85 year old mother's GP practice in a village in Warwickshire but my local (small town in Bucks) practice is running a vax centre in local bigger town in conjunction with about half a dozen other practices, starting next week. So that should start to have an impact in our area soon - which is a good thing, as local hospitals are very definitely struggling.

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:19 pm

Personally I would prefer a 4am appointment.

Be good if they could have late night parking lot clinics - where you park up with drivers windows aligned - like cops do. Window down - jab in (rather than coffee and donuts)...

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:32 pm

Hooray! Sir David Attenborough, 1926-2021, has received his first dose.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:52 pm

My dad got his Pfizer dose yesterday, but no follow-up appt scheduled for the second dose. They just said "go home and wait for our call".

His surgery are good though, so hopefully this will be sooner rather than later.

mediocrity511
Snowbonk

Post by mediocrity511 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:17 pm

Our local CCG are getting people to disseminate information in local Facebook groups. Apparently in our area, they will start vaccinating priority group 4 from mid February, not by mid February. Did Boris's offered first jab by mid February mean offered an appointment for some date in the future?

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:46 pm

mediocrity511 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:17 pm
Our local CCG are getting people to disseminate information in local Facebook groups.
Hm. That's no good for people like me who aren't on FB.

Our GPs is just going to phone people. They're starting with the over 80s and care homes this week. Might be short notice, they say, but I don't think anyone is going to mind that.

border_reiver
Gray Pubic

Post by border_reiver » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:47 pm

headshot wrote:
Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:13 pm

Given that at the moment it's the over 80s who are being vaccinated, that's not surprising. My mother was able to walk to her GP surgery for hers but if she'd had to get a bus, they are very infrequent after 8pm and she wouldn't have gone if she couldn't get home in daylight as there is a busy road which she wouldn't cross in the dark. As it happened they gave her a 3pm appointment. Also she didn't have to queue in the cold for an eternity as seems to be expected at the world beating super duper centres.

border_reiver
Gray Pubic

Post by border_reiver » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:07 pm

From a GP friend.
Primary Care Network were ready to go with a vaccine session. Patients contacted and booked in. Then world beating super duper mega vaccine hub sent their patients letters inviting them to make an appointment with them. MANY confused patients contacted surgery to cancel appointments as they thought they had to go to world beating etc.
Letter was unclear re precise location of super duper etc. so when patients logged on to book apt and realised how far they would have to go, some of them contacted surgery again to reinstate original apts.
Totally organised arrangements thrown into chaos and surgery staff wasting time rearranging appointments and also risking wastage if they couldn't fill the clinic.
All the GPs need is guaranteed delivery of vaccine and they can deal with this.
World Beating Super Duper Mega Vaccine Hubs are all fur coat and no knickers.

Blackcountryboy
Stargoon

Post by Blackcountryboy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:17 pm

My second dose was scheduled for 20 January, phone call today to say it was cancelled because second dose is now after 12 weeks.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:49 pm

Were you Pfizer'd Blackcountryboy?

Should be good protection level from day 14, ie. Thursday. What you doing first? Nightclubbing or rave?