Junior Mod

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by lpm » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:50 pm

⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:08 am

Vaccine rollout minister Nadhim Zahawi says there will be a "big increase" in the numbers of coronavirus jabs being delivered from next week.
The aim is to vaccinate the most vulnerable by mid-February.

He added there would be a "significant increase" from the 1.3 million vaccines done in the UK since 8 December.
Well that's good, because I didn't think there would be, but now he says there would be, so that's good.

UK dot govid hasn't been updated so it still says 944,539.

Ah, here's the problem.
Nick Thomas-Symonds, the UK's shadow home secretary... said the vaccine programme needs to be rolled out "effectively"...

"What the government must do is its part of the bargain and make sure rollout is effective, fair and speedy," he said.
Fascinating insight, I wonder if he's a medical professional?
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:36 pm

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

TAFKAsoveda
Clardic Fug

Post by TAFKAsoveda » Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:51 pm

I had mine yesterday (I work with significantly vulnerable people) and so far I have a bit of a sore arm. The chip doesn’t seem to be working, my Wi-fi, Bluetooth and 4g devices can’t seem to find it.

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:09 pm

TAFKAsoveda wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 2:51 pm
I had mine yesterday (I work with significantly vulnerable people) and so far I have a bit of a sore arm. The chip doesn’t seem to be working, my Wi-fi, Bluetooth and 4g devices can’t seem to find it.
I've heard it doesn't work until you've entered the umpteen character licence key - have you tried that?

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:11 pm

My 85 year old mum's local GP surgery:
We are currently awaiting local guidance on the roll-out of the COVID vaccination programme in our area.
So nothing doing for her yet.

Her sister and brother in law had their first one before Christmas and were due for their boosters yesterday but mum hadn't heard last night whether they'd actually had them or if they'd been bumped.

TAFKAsoveda
Clardic Fug

Post by TAFKAsoveda » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:00 pm

bagpuss wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:09 pm
TAFKAsoveda wrote:
I've heard it doesn't work until you've entered the umpteen character licence key - have you tried that?
That must be it, but it won’t connect to let me input the key.
Oh well, I’m sure that tracking me by my phone is easier...

border_reiver
Gray Pubic

Post by border_reiver » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:04 pm

Well, contrary to expectations, my mum got her 2nd dose yesterday as scheduled. I spoke to her on Friday and explained the policy change so she was prepared for cancellation. I assume it was the Pfizer one again although she didn't actually ask.
I

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:18 pm

TAFKAsoveda wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:00 pm
bagpuss wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:09 pm
TAFKAsoveda wrote:
That must be it, but it won’t connect to let me input the key.
Oh well, I’m sure that tracking me by my phone is easier...
Squeeze your upper arm to enable WPS.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:33 pm

TAFKAsoveda wrote:
It works on 5g, innit.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:37 pm

Britain is putting vulnerable people at risk from mutant variants of the coronavirus by delaying the second dose of the vaccine, according to South Africa's top adviser on immunisations.

South Africa is suffering a sharp spike in cases, driven by a new variant that may reduce the effectiveness of vaccines.
https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-sin ... n-12180837

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:40 am

Wow, the UK is now behind Italy and Spain in vaccinations per day (per million population).

How is it possible to be worse than Italy and Spain at arranging stuff? Italy hasn't even arranged commonly-agreed driving rules for cars yet.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:20 am

lpm wrote:
Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:40 am
Wow, the UK is now behind Italy and Spain in vaccinations per day (per million population).

How is it possible to be worse than Italy and Spain at arranging stuff? Italy hasn't even arranged commonly-agreed driving rules for cars yet.
Italy is still only about half way through vaccinating all its health care professionals.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:44 am

Something I've been wondering - vaccination of healthcare staff should help prevent exposed staff getting sick and consequently keep more staff available for work.

But will vaccination reduce the numbers who are off work having to isolate because of a household contact? E.g. will a vaccinated nurse be able to continue working if someone at home in his/her household has COVID-19 - or will he/she still need to do the 10 day isolation?

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:57 am

bob sterman wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:44 am
Something I've been wondering - vaccination of healthcare staff should help prevent exposed staff getting sick and consequently keep more staff available for work.

But will vaccination reduce the numbers who are off work having to isolate because of a household contact? E.g. will a vaccinated nurse be able to continue working if someone at home in his/her household has COVID-19 - or will he/she still need to do the 10 day isolation?
Well it's not like the nurse might risk exposing anyone to covid - everyone in the hospital is already there because of it.

Must be annoying for any nurse to take all those precautions at work only to have someone bring it into his/her house though.

I fully expect the rules not to be modified to admit common sense. Or rather that it will remain forbidden for nursing staff to work if they've been exposed until it suddenly becomes compulsory for nursing staff to work even if they've been exposed.

People will complain about both rules.

Remember when the governor of North Dakota asked Covid-positive health workers to keep working?
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:33 am

The stupidity of this is - even if a COVID positive nurse could get to the ICU full of COVID patients without coming in contact with members of the public along the way, and even if he/she could make it through a shift without infecting other ICU staff (e.g. in changing rooms where they put PPE on) - even then...

You don't know whether the nurse has the same COVID variant as the patients - and my understanding is that creating the possibility for variants to mix in a potentially immunocompromised host is not a great idea, either for the host (patient) or the world at large.

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:40 pm

bl..dy hell! This massive queue for the jab outside in the cold in Lewisham. edit... though obviously one would not want a massive queue inside.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:51 pm

Last edited by Bird on a Fire on Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed link
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

KAJ
Fuzzable

Post by KAJ » Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:59 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:51 pm
VACCINATE ALL THE PEOPLE IN 5 DAYS!

That link gives me a page not found. I think it should be this

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:33 pm

A friend of my family, who's 91, lives alone and has been self-isolating since the first lockdown, got her second vaccine today :D :D :D
it's okay to say "I don't know"

bolo
Dorkwood

Post by bolo » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:54 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:33 pm
A friend of my family, who's 91, lives alone and has been self-isolating since the first lockdown, got her second vaccine today :D :D :D
Happy news. It's nice to have some.

TheScientificHippy
Gray Pubic

Post by TheScientificHippy » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:46 am

Brightonian wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:40 pm
bl..dy hell! This massive queue for the jab outside in the cold in Lewisham. edit... though obviously one would not want a massive queue inside.
This is down the road from me. Whilst the queue possibly shows some logistical failures at least it also shows people are keen to get the jab -
I had to go to Paddington to get mine - knowing my luck I picked Covid up on the tube on the way there!

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:54 am

Catching it on vaccination day is a serious problem. For many elderly it's their most risky activity in months.

I'm not sure I'd have gone by Tube - quite likely 1 in 20 Londoners currently have it. A draughty bus feels safer but maybe it's just the claustrophobia of the Tube making me feel like that.

My father got his. Said it was well organised, quick and easy. GPs generally do a good job but aren't suited to the throughput of mass numbers we'll need to get 2 million a week.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:33 am

My dad (75 in Sutton Coldfield) gets his first dose tomorrow. He’ll ask which version it is, but he’s not fussy.

My dad has a habit of doing things like stroking his beard whilst out and about and petting other people’s dogs, so I’ll be glad that he’ll at least have some protect by the end of the month.