Vaccine rollout in the UK

Covid-19 discussion, bring your own statistics
Post Reply
Blackcountryboy
Stargoon
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:44 pm
Location: Stourbridge

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by Blackcountryboy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:32 am

lpm wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:49 pm
Were you Pfizer'd Blackcountryboy?

Should be good protection level from day 14, ie. Thursday. What you doing first? Nightclubbing or rave?
Pfizer'd. Bought 3 kg Seville oranges yesterday, checked the whiskey stock is OK , so making marmalade today and Thursday.
If Blackcountrygirl's sciatica wasn"t so bad would have gone to Venture Inn at Ombersley, if they had been open.

User avatar
headshot
Snowbonk
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:40 am

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by headshot » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:59 am

Blackcountryboy wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:32 am
lpm wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:49 pm
Were you Pfizer'd Blackcountryboy?

Should be good protection level from day 14, ie. Thursday. What you doing first? Nightclubbing or rave?
Pfizer'd. Bought 3 kg Seville oranges yesterday, checked the whiskey stock is OK , so making marmalade today and Thursday.
If Blackcountrygirl's sciatica wasn"t so bad would have gone to Venture Inn at Ombersley, if they had been open.
The Fountain Inn at Clent is on my post-Covid “to do” list.

Blackcountryboy
Stargoon
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:44 pm
Location: Stourbridge

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by Blackcountryboy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:26 am

headshot wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:59 am
Blackcountryboy wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:32 am
lpm wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:49 pm
Were you Pfizer'd Blackcountryboy?

Should be good protection level from day 14, ie. Thursday. What you doing first? Nightclubbing or rave?
Pfizer'd. Bought 3 kg Seville oranges yesterday, checked the whiskey stock is OK , so making marmalade today and Thursday.
If Blackcountrygirl's sciatica wasn"t so bad would have gone to Venture Inn at Ombersley, if they had been open.
The Fountain Inn at Clent is on my post-Covid “to do” list.
Used to go quite frequently, less than 3 miles from where I live, stopped going because it got very popular and they cashed in it by putting the tables very close together to pack as many punters in as possible.

User avatar
shpalman
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3016
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by shpalman » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:11 pm

People vaccinated
First dose total: 2,431,648
(reported up to Monday, 11 January 2021.)
Second dose total: 412,167
daily-covid-vaccination-doses-per-capita (1).png
daily-covid-vaccination-doses-per-capita (1).png (609.34 KiB) Viewed 494 times
molto tricky

User avatar
shpalman
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3016
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by shpalman » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:28 pm

The opening of 24/7 vaccination centres doesn't mean you're all obliged to walk ten miles in the middle of the night to get vaccinated, by the way.
molto tricky

User avatar
headshot
Snowbonk
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:40 am

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by headshot » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:30 pm

Blackcountryboy wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:26 am
headshot wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:59 am
Blackcountryboy wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:32 am


Pfizer'd. Bought 3 kg Seville oranges yesterday, checked the whiskey stock is OK , so making marmalade today and Thursday.
If Blackcountrygirl's sciatica wasn"t so bad would have gone to Venture Inn at Ombersley, if they had been open.
The Fountain Inn at Clent is on my post-Covid “to do” list.
Used to go quite frequently, less than 3 miles from where I live, stopped going because it got very popular and they cashed in it by putting the tables very close together to pack as many punters in as possible.
Very true.

raven
Fuzzable
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:58 pm

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by raven » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:30 pm

border_reiver wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:07 pm
From a GP friend.
Primary Care Network were ready to go with a vaccine session. Patients contacted and booked in. Then world beating super duper mega vaccine hub sent their patients letters inviting them to make an appointment with them. MANY confused patients contacted surgery to cancel appointments as they thought they had to go to world beating etc.
Letter was unclear re precise location of super duper etc. so when patients logged on to book apt and realised how far they would have to go, some of them contacted surgery again to reinstate original apts.
Totally organised arrangements thrown into chaos and surgery staff wasting time rearranging appointments and also risking wastage if they couldn't fill the clinic.
All the GPs need is guaranteed delivery of vaccine and they can deal with this.
World Beating Super Duper Mega Vaccine Hubs are all fur coat and no knickers.
Colour me surprised. Not.

Not sure how our GPs is using the marquee they've put up out back for the vaccinations. It's not huge, so they haven't space to have many patients hanging around for 15 minutes after their shots, not if they've all got to be socially distanced. Maybe they're letting people go back to their cars? How supervised should 80 yr olds be post-jab?

User avatar
lpm
After Pie
Posts: 2489
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm
Location: COUNT THE VOTE. STOP THE COUNT.

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by lpm » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:33 pm

England now at 274,793 people vaccinated in a day (plus 4,854 getting a second dose).

That's dozens of lives saved, right there, surely?

Already heading towards the 2,000,000 a week target. The NHS is going to get this done.
I'll miss him after he's fled to Riyadh

User avatar
headshot
Snowbonk
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:40 am

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by headshot » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:55 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:33 pm
England now at 274,793 people vaccinated in a day (plus 4,854 getting a second dose).

That's dozens of lives saved, right there, surely?

Already heading towards the 2,000,000 a week target. The NHS is going to get this done.
My friend in NHS Emergency Planning assures me that everyone in the country will be first dosed by the end of Sept...if the Govt lets them get on with with it.

User avatar
headshot
Snowbonk
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:40 am

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by headshot » Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:56 pm

raven wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:30 pm
Not sure how our GPs is using the marquee they've put up out back for the vaccinations. It's not huge, so they haven't space to have many patients hanging around for 15 minutes after their shots, not if they've all got to be socially distanced. Maybe they're letting people go back to their cars? How supervised should 80 yr olds be post-jab?
My dad was asked to sit in the marquee for 15 mins masked up and socially distanced, so your assumption is correct.

User avatar
bob sterman
Fuzzable
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:25 pm

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by bob sterman » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:10 pm

lpm wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:33 pm
England now at 274,793 people vaccinated in a day (plus 4,854 getting a second dose).

That's dozens of lives saved, right there, surely?

Already heading towards the 2,000,000 a week target. The NHS is going to get this done.
It's moving. I know people in the 75-80 age group who have appointments this weekend.

bagpuss
Snowbonk
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:10 pm

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by bagpuss » Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:40 pm

It is definitely moving. My local area are starting vaxxing people aged 80+ on Monday in a local vax centre for a group of GP practices.

My mum's local GP surgery has finally updated its COVID vax page to say that vaccinations have started and that people will be telephoned to be offered appts, so I'm hopeful that she'll get hers soon.

2 friends who work for NHS - one pharmacist, one Paeds Occ therapist, both had their first jabs this week too.

User avatar
Sciolus
Snowbonk
Posts: 454
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:42 pm

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by Sciolus » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:03 pm

headshot wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:55 pm
lpm wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:33 pm
England now at 274,793 people vaccinated in a day (plus 4,854 getting a second dose).

That's dozens of lives saved, right there, surely?

Already heading towards the 2,000,000 a week target. The NHS is going to get this done.
My friend in NHS Emergency Planning assures me that everyone in the country will be first dosed by the end of Sept...if the Govt lets them get on with with it.
Nine months before second dose seems to be pushing it rather... Has the UK completely given up on the second dose?

User avatar
headshot
Snowbonk
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:40 am

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by headshot » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:35 pm

Sciolus wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:03 pm
headshot wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:55 pm
lpm wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:33 pm
England now at 274,793 people vaccinated in a day (plus 4,854 getting a second dose).

That's dozens of lives saved, right there, surely?

Already heading towards the 2,000,000 a week target. The NHS is going to get this done.
My friend in NHS Emergency Planning assures me that everyone in the country will be first dosed by the end of Sept...if the Govt lets them get on with with it.
Nine months before second dose seems to be pushing it rather... Has the UK completely given up on the second dose?
They mean that all viable citizens will get *at least* their first dose by the end of Sept (thus giving a decent level of immunity), with second doses given on a rolling basis up to 12 weeks after each first dose...assuming the Govt doesn't change the second dose regime.

So, anyone vaccinated in July will be getting second doses by October. Those getting first doses in September will get their second dose by Dec/Jan.

bagpuss
Snowbonk
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:10 pm

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by bagpuss » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:28 pm

bagpuss wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:40 pm

My mum's local GP surgery has finally updated its COVID vax page to say that vaccinations have started and that people will be telephoned to be offered appts, so I'm hopeful that she'll get hers soon.
Appt tomorrow. Whoop!

Lew Dolby
Fuzzable
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:59 pm
Location: Shropshire - Welsh Borders

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by Lew Dolby » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:58 pm

FiL, mid-90s, well on the road to dementia, had his first today (Pfizer) - Lytham, Lancashire.
If you bring you kids up to think for themselves, you can't complain when they do

User avatar
sTeamTraen
Dorkwood
Posts: 1476
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm
Location: Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by sTeamTraen » Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:06 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:36 am
It occurs to me that if the first few hundred people to get the vaccine are over 90, several will be dead fairly soon just due to normal attrition in that age group. I'm not sure that "6 people die within a week of getting the COVID-19 vaccine" is a headline we want to see. :shock:
Reports of deaths among the very old and frail in Norway are already being used by anti-vaxxers on docial media. :shock:

We'd need to see the data to determine if this beyond what would expect in the vaccinated population, but:
More than 20 000 doses of the vaccine have been administered over the past few weeks in Norway and around 400 deaths normally occur among care home residents every week.
Something something hammer something something nail

User avatar
lpm
After Pie
Posts: 2489
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm
Location: COUNT THE VOTE. STOP THE COUNT.

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by lpm » Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:43 pm

Useful chart from this twitter thread: https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1 ... 8025962498

As a reminder, the England target is to offer the first dose to all >70 by 15 Feb (plus various healthcare/care home staff and those with serious conditions).

And to offer to all >50 by end March (plus younger at risk people).

Allowing for the lag for the jab to become effective, the fall in death rates should be huge once we are into March. The pressure on hospitals will also ease. ICUs, however, remain under pressure until the >50 cohorts are all first dosed, i.e. mid April.

The UK is heading very quickly to a point where Covid-19 is no longer a significant fatal disease.

Image
I'll miss him after he's fled to Riyadh

bagpuss
Snowbonk
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:10 pm

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by bagpuss » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:44 pm

Anecdotally, vaccination in England seems to have massively ramped up this week. At the start of the week, I personally knew 2 people who had been vaccinated - a couple who got some of one of the very first batches back before Christmas. I know 5 people who have been vaxxed this week - in Warks, Bucks, Herts and Hants, and one person in Greater Manchester who is getting hers in a care home at the start of next week. Most of those were NHS staff, but 1 plus the care home person are people aged 80+.

ETA: if this is in any way representative, the stats for this week are going to look impressive.

User avatar
lpm
After Pie
Posts: 2489
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm
Location: COUNT THE VOTE. STOP THE COUNT.

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by lpm » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:52 pm

? We are getting daily stats showing the ramp up. They already look impressive.
I'll miss him after he's fled to Riyadh

bagpuss
Snowbonk
Posts: 568
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:10 pm

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by bagpuss » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:56 pm

lpm wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:52 pm
? We are getting daily stats showing the ramp up. They already look impressive.
Sorry, my failure, I've been busy this week and hadn't heard or seen any stats since mid week. Now you're going to point me to a post about 3 before mine, with all the stats, aren't you? I'll just go and hide over there and read up properly

User avatar
shpalman
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3016
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by shpalman » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:00 pm

bagpuss wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:56 pm
lpm wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:52 pm
? We are getting daily stats showing the ramp up. They already look impressive.
Sorry, my failure, I've been busy this week and hadn't heard or seen any stats since mid week. Now you're going to point me to a post about 3 before mine, with all the stats, aren't you? I'll just go and hide over there and read up properly
https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare now has daily stats, starting from the beginning of this week.

For a global overview there's https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations
molto tricky

User avatar
Gfamily
After Pie
Posts: 2069
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm
Location: NW England

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by Gfamily » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:18 pm

Gfamson volunteers at a hospital (standing at the entrance directing people to various outpatient departments etc) and had his #1 Pfizer injection this week.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

ubik
Bunflow
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:13 pm

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by ubik » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:28 pm

Pfizered yesterday. Superpower unlocked.

User avatar
lpm
After Pie
Posts: 2489
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm
Location: COUNT THE VOTE. STOP THE COUNT.

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by lpm » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:12 am

Superpowers don't kick in for 2 weeks. Do not attempt to swing from tall buildings till then.
I'll miss him after he's fled to Riyadh

Post Reply