Vaccine rollout in Italy

Covid-19 discussion, bring your own statistics
Herainestold
Dorkwood

Re: Vaccine rollout in Italy

Post by Herainestold » Wed May 19, 2021 10:32 pm

shpalman wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 5:20 pm
I was able to log in to my health records on the website of the Lombardy region, using my digital identity (a kind of certified two-factor authentication which has now become mandatory and free for Italians although I set it up a while ago). I was then able to look at my vaccination record, and download a pdf of it which has a QR and instructions for how to validate it for anyone I show it to who doubts me.

Not that it entitles me to do anything which non-vaccinated people can do at the moment (until mid June) but Italy is talking about a "Green Pass" valid from 15 days after the first vaccination to 9 months after the second one (if applicable). Otherwise, 6 months after recovering from a covid infection. Or 48 hours after a negative PCR test.

(The Green Pass won't actually indicate anything about your medical history, just that you fulfil one of the criteria.)
What happens 9 months after the second vax? The next wave and a new lockdown?

shpalman
Light of Blast

Post by shpalman » Thu May 20, 2021 7:49 am

Herainestold wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 10:32 pm
shpalman wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 5:20 pm
I was able to log in to my health records on the website of the Lombardy region, using my digital identity (a kind of certified two-factor authentication which has now become mandatory and free for Italians although I set it up a while ago). I was then able to look at my vaccination record, and download a pdf of it which has a QR and instructions for how to validate it for anyone I show it to who doubts me.

Not that it entitles me to do anything which non-vaccinated people can do at the moment (until mid June) but Italy is talking about a "Green Pass" valid from 15 days after the first vaccination to 9 months after the second one (if applicable). Otherwise, 6 months after recovering from a covid infection. Or 48 hours after a negative PCR test.

(The Green Pass won't actually indicate anything about your medical history, just that you fulfil one of the criteria.)
What happens 9 months after the second vax? The next wave and a new lockdown?
According to https://lab.gedidigital.it/gedi-visual/ ... vaccinati/ we're on track to vaccinate 80% of the population - basically everyone over 16 - by the beginning of October at the current rate of about half a million a day. This could accelerate if vaccines arrive at a faster rate, or it could slow right down in August when everyone's on holiday. The EMA is probably going to approve Pfizer for the 12-15 age range any minute now, but that's less than 2 million kids i.e. 4 days of first doses and 4 days of second doses, so it shouldn't massively change things.

"9 months after the second vax" would for me be February, and while for the earliest adopters would already be September, there weren't many of those; it took a few months for things to get going here so it wouldn't be before December/January for most people and probably even later since I got my doses ahead of the age-based rollout (for my age group, booking opened late last night). I'd even wonder if "9 months" is being suggested so that Christmas is included for most of us.

Pfizer has already been talking about giving people a booster dose and then an annual dose... fact is that we don't know about long-term protection or about what new variants will arise.

I'm hoping that by October, with everyone* vaccinated, covid will basically be gone from Europe apart from occasional imported cases which don't lead to serious outbreaks.
molto tricky

shpalman
Light of Blast

Post by shpalman » Sat May 22, 2021 10:41 am

Going to pass through 30 million doses administered today. About 10 million have had both doses, but the important number is probably that more than a quarter of the population (16 million) had at least one dose at least two weeks ago.

Italy's case average is dropping through 60/100,000/week (i.e. a bit worse than Leicester) but deaths are still at around 2/100,000/week, an average of more than 150 a day, and it's not obvious to me that deaths are falling faster than cases. For comparison, the UK currently has an average of 6 deaths per day despite cases being 20-25/100,000/week for about 4 weeks (cases went down a bit and are now coming up but deaths kept going down).
molto tricky

shpalman
Light of Blast

Post by shpalman » Sat May 22, 2021 11:01 am

(booking is open for over-40's, for appointments in June)
molto tricky

shpalman
Light of Blast

Post by shpalman » Sat May 22, 2021 12:55 pm

Actually I see from our world in data that for most of May Italy has been going faster in terms of doses per person than the UK and that EU countries have caught up with the UK's rate generally.
molto tricky

shpalman
Light of Blast

Post by shpalman » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:44 pm

Booking was already open for over-30's but tomorrow night, anyone over the age of 12 will be able to book (or get their parents to book and print out the form to sign).

Italy's generally going quite quickly now, with a couple of days last week reaching nearly 600,000 doses, so that the average over 7 days was finally more than half a million per day.

Lombardy is currently even the region with the highest usage percentage: 98.5% of delivered doses have been administered (against a national average of 95.7%) so it wouldn't be possible to go significantly faster without more deliveries. Pfizer is matching their targets and even Moderna has been getting moving. AstraZeneca and Janssen still being sh.t.

Meanwhile it seems to me like cases have been dropping faster than deaths (the opposite was happening in the UK) but maybe both are now on a two-week halving time.
molto tricky

shpalman
Light of Blast

Post by shpalman » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:13 pm

Ok, there's just been an update, with about 3 million more Pfizer doses being delivered, so that should keep us going another week or so.
molto tricky

shpalman
Light of Blast

Post by shpalman » Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:34 am

Well there was a bit of a dip this week (2nd of June is the Republic of Italy's birthday, and also stocks were running low) but the last few days have been at around 600,000 doses per day.
molto tricky

shpalman
Light of Blast

Post by shpalman » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:47 pm

https://www.quicomo.it/attualita/corona ... uando.html

At the end of June, Lombardy will go back to the specified dose schedules for Pfizer and Moderna (my dance partner had her first dose of Pfizer yesterday and has the second dose after 5 weeks).
molto tricky

shpalman
Light of Blast

Post by shpalman » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:11 pm

While it's allowed by the EMA, the AIFA is reminding everyone of the strategy to not give AstraZeneca to young people because a few of them will die from it.

https://www.ilfattoquotidiano.it/2021/0 ... a/6226452/
molto tricky

shpalman
Light of Blast

Post by shpalman » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:21 am

More than 800,000 vaccine doses administered* between 6am yesterday and 6am today. A 7-day average of 575,000**.

* - registered on https://www.governo.it/it/cscovid19/report-vaccini/

** - https://lab.gedidigital.it/gedi-visual/ ... vaccinati/
molto tricky