Tier 4

Covid-19 discussion, bring your own statistics
User avatar
Tessa K
After Pie
Posts: 1673
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Location: Closer than you'd like

Tier 4

Post by Tessa K » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:25 pm

So now London and the SE are going into Tier 4 with the new virus variant being blamed. Christmas is pretty much f.cked although support bubbles are still allowed. Gyms will shut, which is my main sanity support.

Still waiting for exact details on the rest.

Trinucleus
Fuzzable
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:45 pm

Re: Tier 4

Post by Trinucleus » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:29 pm

People not allowed to travel abroad.

Unless it's for business, obvs

User avatar
lpm
After Pie
Posts: 2543
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm

Re: Tier 4

Post by lpm » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:30 pm

This will save a lot of lives. It is a good thing. Gyms can open again in the spring when the vulnerable have been vaccinated.
What ever happened to that Trump guy, you know, the one who was president for a bit?

User avatar
Tessa K
After Pie
Posts: 1673
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Location: Closer than you'd like

Re: Tier 4

Post by Tessa K » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:32 pm

lpm wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:30 pm
This will save a lot of lives. It is a good thing. Gyms can open again in the spring when the vulnerable have been vaccinated.
It's not a good thing but it is a necessary thing so I'm allowed to be pissed off while also recognising that.

User avatar
shpalman
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3103
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Tier 4

Post by shpalman » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:11 pm

Wait, you mean gyms were open even in tier 3?

I haven't been to the gym since October and they won't open until at least mid January even if we're currently only "yellow".
molto tricky

Blackcountryboy
Stargoon
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:44 pm
Location: Stourbridge

Re: Tier 4

Post by Blackcountryboy » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:27 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:11 pm
Wait, you mean gyms were open even in tier 3?

I haven't been to the gym since October and they won't open until at least mid January even if we're currently only "yellow".
Gyms in both Tier 2 and 3 areas could open, Tier two areas could have classes but in Tier 3 areas it was individual exercising only.

I went back to the gym when they opened after the first lockdown - July I think, but haven't been since the number of infections started to rise again; I have now decided to hunker down, apart from essential shopping, until I have had the vaccination, keeping fingers crossed it will be soon.

User avatar
JQH
Dorkwood
Posts: 1174
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:30 pm
Location: Sar Flandan

Re: Tier 4

Post by JQH » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:29 pm

I haven't been to the gym since before the first lockdown and won't go back until I've been vaccinated.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Light of Blast
Posts: 4849
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: nadir of brie

Re: Tier 4

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:34 pm

I've never been to the gym in my life, unless school gym counts.

I might try it one day, but they're too expensive for me right now.
THINK BIG AND UPEND THE SYSTEM

#ShowYourStripes

User avatar
lpm
After Pie
Posts: 2543
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm

Re: Tier 4

Post by lpm » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:41 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:11 pm
Wait, you mean gyms were open even in tier 3?

I haven't been to the gym since October and they won't open until at least mid January even if we're currently only "yellow".
Mate, there are football fans inside Goodison Park right now watching Everton lose to Arsenal.

This is England. Our aim is restriction theatre, not Covid prevention.
What ever happened to that Trump guy, you know, the one who was president for a bit?

User avatar
shpalman
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3103
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Tier 4

Post by shpalman » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:09 pm

Well done on breeding a new more infectivous strain of covid though, I hope the two weeks of London in tier 2 were worth it. How were the scotch eggs?
molto tricky

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Light of Blast
Posts: 4849
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: nadir of brie

Re: Tier 4

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:31 pm

Am I going to get trapped in the UK?

I am, aren't I?
THINK BIG AND UPEND THE SYSTEM

#ShowYourStripes

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Light of Blast
Posts: 4849
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: nadir of brie

Re: Tier 4

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:32 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:09 pm
Well done on breeding a new more infectivous strain of covid though, I hope the two weeks of London in tier 2 were worth it. How were the scotch eggs?
Nicola Sturgeon is insisting that they are now referred to as "English eggs".
THINK BIG AND UPEND THE SYSTEM

#ShowYourStripes

User avatar
shpalman
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3103
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Tier 4

Post by shpalman » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:40 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:31 pm
Am I going to get trapped in the UK?

I am, aren't I?
Assuming you can get to the airport and that the flight doesn't get cancelled, I think you're always allowed to go back to wherever your residence/domicile/habitation is.
molto tricky

User avatar
shpalman
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3103
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Tier 4

Post by shpalman » Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:58 pm

FB_IMG_1608404272948.jpg
FB_IMG_1608404272948.jpg (47.16 KiB) Viewed 368 times
molto tricky

User avatar
sTeamTraen
Dorkwood
Posts: 1499
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm
Location: Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Re: Tier 4

Post by sTeamTraen » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:23 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:40 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:31 pm
Am I going to get trapped in the UK?

I am, aren't I?
Assuming you can get to the airport and that the flight doesn't get cancelled, I think you're always allowed to go back to wherever your residence/domicile/habitation is.
Indeed, but you have to be able to convince not just immigration officers but also airline staff.

One of the frustrating things about Mrs sTeamTraen and me *still* not having our residency cards after 10 months (I now actually have mine, but she doesn't have hers, due to assorted bureaucratic f.ckups) is that in the first lockdown people were getting denied boarding at the UK end if they didn't have Spanish residency cards, even if they were de facto residents. We moved to Spain in February and don't have anywhere else to stay, and if we landed at Madrid or Palma we could surely explain our situation and be let in (because deporting people is hard and requires putting you in front of a judge), but we won't take the risk of some airline jobsworth saying "You won't be let in when you land so you can't fly". Spanish residency cards for EU citizens are a total joke that were never designed to be used outside the country as proof of residency. Ironically, the new post-Brexit card that Brits are gradually getting will work much better, as it has your photo and fingerprints on it and is in a format recognised across the Schengen zone.
Something something hammer something something nail

plodder
Dorkwood
Posts: 1068
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:50 pm

Re: Tier 4

Post by plodder » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:07 pm

well, if anyone needs cheering up there’s always the comments on Conservative Home. Johnson is toast.

User avatar
Martin Y
Dorkwood
Posts: 1568
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Re: Tier 4

Post by Martin Y » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:12 pm

Son and GF had to decide immediately whether to jump in the car and head here from Salford in case they weren't allowed tomorrow.

Am I being too demanding to think Gov.uk should have had a list of tier 4 rules ready to go with Boris's speech, instead of continuing to claim there are only 3 tiers?

Boris said you shouldn't travel into tier 4, various news media said you were advised not to. They were presumably all quoting some press release. It's no f.cking help in making a decision. I understand the science that drives the decisions isn't black and white, but the rules f.cking well are. If they can't tell us the rules , no wonder people don't know them.

User avatar
lpm
After Pie
Posts: 2543
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm

Re: Tier 4

Post by lpm » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:13 pm

On family zoom they asked when I thought Tier 4 would end. I said end of March. They got cross with me - they thought I'd say mid Jan, may be end Jan.

March seems right? Easter is 2 April, unlockdown for then. 2 months to regain control, maybe a touch of unlockedness in 3rd month?
What ever happened to that Trump guy, you know, the one who was president for a bit?

User avatar
Opti
Catbabel
Posts: 646
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:21 pm
Location: Got a home right by the sea.

Re: Tier 4

Post by Opti » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:16 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:23 pm
shpalman wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:40 pm
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:31 pm
Am I going to get trapped in the UK?

I am, aren't I?
Assuming you can get to the airport and that the flight doesn't get cancelled, I think you're always allowed to go back to wherever your residence/domicile/habitation is.
Stuff about Spanish residency.
Luckily we have a lovely neighbour who just happens to be a well-connected high powered lawyer who did our TIE applications almost free. 5 weeks from start to picking up cards. In Spain that counts as a 'f.cking result!'. They just love bits of paper. The more the better.
Have you both got EU driving licences?
He cannot be killed by conventional weapons. True. He and Mrs Opti are wicked cool.

User avatar
Martin Y
Dorkwood
Posts: 1568
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:08 pm

Re: Tier 4

Post by Martin Y » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:18 pm

March is not an unreasonable guess. Depends if tier 4 restrictions are effective. I assume huge numbers of people will flout the rules from now till New Year but after that it might start to work.

User avatar
shpalman
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3103
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Tier 4

Post by shpalman » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:18 pm

plodder wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:07 pm
well, if anyone needs cheering up there’s always the comments on Conservative Home. Johnson is toast.
plodder wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:48 am
Lots of rumours that Johnson is still ill w/ Covid and will step down in the next few months for health reasons.
molto tricky

User avatar
Tessa K
After Pie
Posts: 1673
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Location: Closer than you'd like

Re: Tier 4

Post by Tessa K » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:25 pm

We're still allowed to meet one person outdoors so I'll be going for lots of winter walks with anyone I can drag out.

There's no word on libraries. I assume they'll be closed. At the moment a small number of people are/were allowed in for a quick browse and borrow or to use the computers. If we'd had more notice I'd have gone in this morning and stocked up.

User avatar
Opti
Catbabel
Posts: 646
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:21 pm
Location: Got a home right by the sea.

Re: Tier 4

Post by Opti » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:44 pm

He cannot be killed by conventional weapons. True. He and Mrs Opti are wicked cool.

User avatar
lpm
After Pie
Posts: 2543
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm

Re: Tier 4

Post by lpm » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:51 pm

Martin Y wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:12 pm
Son and GF had to decide immediately whether to jump in the car and head here from Salford in case they weren't allowed tomorrow.

Am I being too demanding to think Gov.uk should have had a list of tier 4 rules ready to go with Boris's speech, instead of continuing to claim there are only 3 tiers?

Boris said you shouldn't travel into tier 4, various news media said you were advised not to. They were presumably all quoting some press release. It's no f.cking help in making a decision. I understand the science that drives the decisions isn't black and white, but the rules f.cking well are. If they can't tell us the rules , no wonder people don't know them.
Not sure what you mean. Are you in Tier 4? If so you cannot have anyone from outside your household visit you at any time. If you are in Tier 2 or 3 then they can visit you on Christmas day only.
What ever happened to that Trump guy, you know, the one who was president for a bit?

User avatar
Tessa K
After Pie
Posts: 1673
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Location: Closer than you'd like

Re: Tier 4

Post by Tessa K » Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:52 pm

lpm wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:51 pm
Martin Y wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:12 pm
Son and GF had to decide immediately whether to jump in the car and head here from Salford in case they weren't allowed tomorrow.

Am I being too demanding to think Gov.uk should have had a list of tier 4 rules ready to go with Boris's speech, instead of continuing to claim there are only 3 tiers?

Boris said you shouldn't travel into tier 4, various news media said you were advised not to. They were presumably all quoting some press release. It's no f.cking help in making a decision. I understand the science that drives the decisions isn't black and white, but the rules f.cking well are. If they can't tell us the rules , no wonder people don't know them.
Not sure what you mean. Are you in Tier 4? If so you cannot have anyone from outside your household visit you at any time. If you are in Tier 2 or 3 then they can visit you on Christmas day only.
Unless they are your support bubble.

Post Reply