Vaccine rollout in Israel

Covid-19 discussion, bring your own statistics
Bird on a Fire
Light of Blast

Vaccine rollout in Israel

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:39 pm

Over 1 million jabs already! About 12% of the population.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-55514243

Obviously early access to doses has helped, but they've quickly got up to 150,000 doses a day so there must be some useful logistics lessons to learn here.
THINK BIG AND UPEND THE SYSTEM

#ShowYourStripes

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Re: Vaccine rollout in Israel

Post by jdc » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:19 pm

Wee bit of info here on the how: https://inews.co.uk/news/world/israel-l ... ion-813309
Existing benefits in the Israeli healthcare system have paid off dividend. The country’s health care system is highly digitised, which has helped speed the rollout. All citizens over 18 must be registered with one of four non-competing health insurance plans – known as Health Maintenance Organisations (HMOs). When the vaccine became available, citizens received a text or voice message telling them to make an appointment. Those missed off the list could call, cite their HMO ID number, and register for the jab, according to the Telegraph.

As the operation is running 24 hours a day, 7 days a week – including on Shabbat, to the chagrin of some observers – the nation has ploughed through the at risk list, with teachers now being added to the priority group.

Further expansion of the programme will see it expand beyond large, central locations. By the end of the week, 250 sites are expected to be operating throughout the country.
Not much, but that's the most I've found so far.

Bird on a Fire
Light of Blast

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:31 pm

Nice, thanks.

Having everybody registered in advance does sound like a helpful start. Though I expect in the UK almost everybody in the priority groups - the older and iller folk - will tend towards very high GP registration rates, so most places shouldn't struggle too much with this.

I think I'm most interested in personnel - does Israel have a lot of spare capacity? Did they suddenly train extra workers, or bring people out of retirement? I suspect it's trained staff and organisational issues that will be the major holdups in places. (Plus whatever the UK government is doing messing around with the schedules)
THINK BIG AND UPEND THE SYSTEM

#ShowYourStripes

Herainestold
Snowbonk

Post by Herainestold » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:51 am

Not for the Palestinians though..
Israel is celebrating an impressive, record-setting vaccination drive, having given initial jabs of coronavirus shots to more than a 10th of the population. But Palestinians in the Israeli-occupied West Bank and Gaza can only watch and wait.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... o-settlers

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:05 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:31 pm
Nice, thanks.

Having everybody registered in advance does sound like a helpful start. Though I expect in the UK almost everybody in the priority groups - the older and iller folk - will tend towards very high GP registration rates, so most places shouldn't struggle too much with this.

I think I'm most interested in personnel - does Israel have a lot of spare capacity? Did they suddenly train extra workers, or bring people out of retirement? I suspect it's trained staff and organisational issues that will be the major holdups in places. (Plus whatever the UK government is doing messing around with the schedules)
We've aimed for 12/7 rather than 24/7; some PCNs opted out; we had phased introduction so it was hospitals first then about a fifth of the PCNs were due to join in, then maybe some more PCNs later on; we also had complaints from retired medics about red tape putting them off: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... out-target

So personnel-wise we're missing some PCNs (all of them at first, then most of them, and eventually it should be just the ones who opted out) and we've failed to recruit as many retired medics as we could.

MartinDurkin
Stargoon

Post by MartinDurkin » Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:22 pm

jdc wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:05 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:31 pm
Nice, thanks.

We've aimed for 12/7 rather than 24/7; some PCNs opted out; we had phased introduction so it was hospitals first then about a fifth of the PCNs were due to join in, then maybe some more PCNs later on; we also had complaints from retired medics about red tape putting them off: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... out-target

So personnel-wise we're missing some PCNs (all of them at first, then most of them, and eventually it should be just the ones who opted out) and we've failed to recruit as many retired medics as we could.
Anecdotally, my friend is a retired EM consultant and she investigated volunteering to help organise vaccinations locally. The paperwork was off-putting, and she failed on several counts, including being up to date on preventing radicalisation.

Beaker
Buzzberry

Post by Beaker » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:23 pm

My Israeli colleague has already had the first jab. He got first and second appointments at the same time.

Lots of local clinics. Apparently they are not going via hospitals as it is harder to arrange the follow up for the second dose. If there aren’t enough of the target population available, they will bring in whoever is available to make sure no dose or treatment capacity goes to waste.

EACLucifer
Dorkwood

Post by EACLucifer » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:35 am

Herainestold wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:51 am
Israel is celebrating an impressive, record-setting vaccination drive, having given initial jabs of coronavirus shots to more than a 10th of the population. But Palestinians in the Israeli-occupied West Bank and Gaza can only watch and wait.
That's because Israel is not responsible for vaccinating Palestinians in the Palestinian territories, who are not, in fact, Israeli. That responsibility got transferred thirty years ago with the Oslo accords, and the PA has it's own plan for vaccinating it's own population.

Millennie Al
Snowbonk

Post by Millennie Al » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:06 am

EACLucifer wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:35 am
Herainestold wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:51 am
That's because Israel is not responsible for vaccinating Palestinians in the Palestinian territories, who are not, in fact, Israeli. That responsibility got transferred thirty years ago with the Oslo accords, and the PA has it's own plan for vaccinating it's own population.
But wouldn't it be a huge proaganda coup to help the Palestinians in their hour of need?
Covid-19 - Don't catch it: don't spread it.

raven
Fuzzable

Post by raven » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:31 pm

Beaker wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:23 pm
Lots of local clinics. Apparently they are not going via hospitals as it is harder to arrange the follow up for the second dose. If there aren’t enough of the target population available, they will bring in whoever is available to make sure no dose or treatment capacity goes to waste.
We should do that. We have this network of local GPs we could use and everything.

(Our GPs were great at organising flu clinics this year. Did them in villages halls, kept admin to an absolute minimum by giving you a half-hour slot to turn up in, said don't call if you can't make it we'll just call you up for the next clinic until we've got everyone done, just let us know if you've had the jab already so we can take you off the list. Got everybody down to 50 yr olds done before Christmas I think. Also very aware of who their vulnerable patients are: a neighbour with multiple risk factors was in the surgery back in September getting a dressing done, and a second nurse walked in, gave her the shot then and there.)