Is the BBC Planning an Antivax Programme?

Get your science fix here: research, quackery, activism and all the rest
JQH
After Pie

Is the BBC Planning an Antivax Programme?

Post by JQH » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:29 pm

This appeared on my local community Facebook page:
Hi
I hope you don’t mind me posting - I’m an Assistant Producer at BBC News and Current Affairs and I'm looking to hear the views of those who are undecided about having the coronavirus vaccine for whatever reason. Do get in touch if you’d be happy to speak to me about this! Either send me a message or by email janine.weaver@bbc.co.uk
I have emailed this:
Dear Ms Weaver

I read your post soliciting the views of people who are "undecided" about having the coronavirus vaccine. This suggests that any programme you produce as a result will be slanted against the vaccine. Do you not think it more than a little irresponsible to alarm people without evidence?

Yours sincerely

[JQH]
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

Nickynockynoonoo
Stargoon

Re: Is the BBC Planning an Antivax Programme?

Post by Nickynockynoonoo » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:43 pm

Good for you but there will be plenty of people wanting 2 minutes of fame.

badger
Fuzzable

Post by badger » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:47 pm

JQH wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:29 pm
This appeared on my local community Facebook page:
Hi
I hope you don’t mind me posting - I’m an Assistant Producer at BBC News and Current Affairs and I'm looking to hear the views of those who are undecided about having the coronavirus vaccine for whatever reason. Do get in touch if you’d be happy to speak to me about this! Either send me a message or by email janine.weaver@bbc.co.uk
I have emailed this:
Dear Ms Weaver

I read your post soliciting the views of people who are "undecided" about having the coronavirus vaccine. This suggests that any programme you produce as a result will be slanted against the vaccine. Do you not think it more than a little irresponsible to alarm people without evidence?

Yours sincerely

[JQH]
Hmmm, methinks you have grasped the stick inversely.

I would say they're doing a piece on resistance to vaccine - there's a lot of talk right now about certain groups being reluctant. The piece will probably take the angle of investigating government effort to target those groups, rather than just have a load of vox pops spouting anti-vax stuff. See Rajesh Thind on twitter starting some good work in this area.

What set your alarm bells ringing? The fact they were only looking for "undecideds"?

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:56 pm

badger wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:47 pm

What set your alarm bells ringing? The fact they were only looking for "undecideds"?
Pretty much. Even if the programme is indeed about vaccine resistance, having only undecideds on will give the impression that most people don't want the vaccine.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

badger
Fuzzable

Post by badger » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:18 am

JQH wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:56 pm
badger wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:47 pm

Pretty much. Even if the programme is indeed about vaccine resistance, having only undecideds on will give the impression that most people don't want the vaccine.
Ah, okay. Well I know nothing about this piece, but I can say from experience that you often source contributors in this way, so there maybe other posts out there seeking other groups. You tend to avoid saying "I'm looking to hear from pro, undecided and anti". You just send out one of each to different places.

That said, even if they are just looking for undecideds, there are more reasons why it's likely to be pro rather than anti vaxx. There are some potentially interesting angles it could take to draw out this pertinent and genuine issue on a personal level and discuss it in a context that might be useful to hear for a lot of people. Just hearing from them only does not mean it represents a majority view in the country, and the producer of the piece will be skilled enough to contextualise it.

Or it could be something else, but my bet would be you're looking for something that isn't there. I'll dm you my address just in case so you can send eggs for my face later.

JQH
After Pie

Post by JQH » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:22 am

I might know more if she responds to my email. Otherwise I guess I'll have to wait for the programme.

Fintan O'Toole

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:04 am

It could equally be a search for fools to ridicule. I don't expect it'll be possible to find out until the programme is made.

badger
Fuzzable

Post by badger » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:06 am

wrong end of the stick

@JQH. Do post a photo of the flowers you send to Ms Weaver, or a copy of the apology email.