Vaccine ****ery

Covid-19 discussion, bring your own statistics
Post Reply
User avatar
basementer
Dorkwood
Posts: 1336
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm
Location: 5713, Aotearoa
Contact:

Re: Vaccine ****ery

Post by basementer » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:55 am

Chris Preston wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:42 am
monkey wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:02 am
basementer wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:38 am
Some of the fuckwits currently protesting outside NZ's Parliament building are ostentatiously flying the national flag upside down. I wonder if some w.nker is spreading an urban myth that they will get arrested for it?
Wouldn't surprise me, because people say all sorts of sh.t on the fringes, but the upside down flag thing is codified in the US as a sign of distress, so people have long used it as a sign of protest. It probably comes from that. Not sure if any other countries do that, or care about flags as much.
While the distress sentiment is old, it is explicit in US Flag Codes and not necessarily in those of other countries. You are not supposed to fly the Australian flag upside down under any circumstances, even as a signal for distress. Most people would not notice if you flew the UK flag upside down.
Yeah, I know that there's a broader and a narrower white stripe along the diagonal of the Union Jack, but I have no idea which one is supposed to be uppermost at the staff.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

User avatar
basementer
Dorkwood
Posts: 1336
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm
Location: 5713, Aotearoa
Contact:

Re: Vaccine ****ery

Post by basementer » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:09 am

Chris Preston wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:42 am
monkey wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:02 am
basementer wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:38 am
Some of the fuckwits currently protesting outside NZ's Parliament building are ostentatiously flying the national flag upside down. I wonder if some w.nker is spreading an urban myth that they will get arrested for it?
Wouldn't surprise me, because people say all sorts of sh.t on the fringes, but the upside down flag thing is codified in the US as a sign of distress, so people have long used it as a sign of protest. It probably comes from that. Not sure if any other countries do that, or care about flags as much.
While the distress sentiment is old, it is explicit in US Flag Codes and not necessarily in those of other countries. You are not supposed to fly the Australian flag upside down under any circumstances, even as a signal for distress. Most people would not notice if you flew the UK flag upside down. This is imported from US ideas.
I've had a look at what the local Ministry for Culture and Heritage website says about displaying and handling the flag, and it says nothing at all about upsidedownness. I readily agree with you that this is some sort of imported f.ckwittery.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

Chris Preston
Snowbonk
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:05 am

Re: Vaccine ****ery

Post by Chris Preston » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:49 am

basementer wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:53 am
monkey wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:02 am
basementer wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:38 am
Some of the fuckwits currently protesting outside NZ's Parliament building are ostentatiously flying the national flag upside down. I wonder if some w.nker is spreading an urban myth that they will get arrested for it?
Wouldn't surprise me, because people say all sorts of sh.t on the fringes, but the upside down flag thing is codified in the US as a sign of distress, so people have long used it as a sign of protest. It probably comes from that. Not sure if any other countries do that, or care about flags as much.
Thanks. Now that you mention it, I remember that flying the Union Jack upside down is supposed to be a naval distress signal, so it makes sense. I don't remember ever seeing it at protests before, though (been here about twelve years.)
That would be the Red Ensign, or White Ensign in a naval ship, which you would be able to easily see if it was upside down, rather than the Union Jack.
Here grows much rhubarb.

User avatar
basementer
Dorkwood
Posts: 1336
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm
Location: 5713, Aotearoa
Contact:

Re: Vaccine ****ery

Post by basementer » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:53 am

monkey wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:02 am
basementer wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:38 am
Some of the fuckwits currently protesting outside NZ's Parliament building are ostentatiously flying the national flag upside down. I wonder if some w.nker is spreading an urban myth that they will get arrested for it?
Wouldn't surprise me, because people say all sorts of sh.t on the fringes, but the upside down flag thing is codified in the US as a sign of distress, so people have long used it as a sign of protest. It probably comes from that. Not sure if any other countries do that, or care about flags as much.
Today one of the fuckwits has written "SOS" on their upside down flag, so I reckon you've nailed it.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

User avatar
Gfamily
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3972
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm
Location: NW England

Re: Vaccine ****ery

Post by Gfamily » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:19 am

basementer wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:53 am
monkey wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:02 am
basementer wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:38 am
Some of the fuckwits currently protesting outside NZ's Parliament building are ostentatiously flying the national flag upside down. I wonder if some w.nker is spreading an urban myth that they will get arrested for it?
Wouldn't surprise me, because people say all sorts of sh.t on the fringes, but the upside down flag thing is codified in the US as a sign of distress, so people have long used it as a sign of protest. It probably comes from that. Not sure if any other countries do that, or care about flags as much.
Today one of the fuckwits has written "SOS" on their upside down flag, so I reckon you've nailed it.
Is the SOS upside down though? Surely that would make a difference as well *
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

User avatar
Gfamily
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3972
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm
Location: NW England

Re: Vaccine ****ery

Post by Gfamily » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:46 am

Cf a "Long Read" post on the history of this
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

User avatar
shpalman
Princess POW
Posts: 7050
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Vaccine ****ery

Post by shpalman » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:20 pm

Opposite to the usual fuckery, USians trying to get their under-5 children vaccinated "off label"
The 10-microgram dose authorized for kids five to 11 has not been tested among younger kids, who received a 3 mg dose in the Pfizer/BioNTech pediatric trial.
I'd f.cking hope nobody gives them 3 mg instead of 3 μg you f.cking morons.
molto tricky

User avatar
bob sterman
Catbabel
Posts: 874
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:25 pm
Location: Location Location

Re: Vaccine ****ery

Post by bob sterman » Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:44 pm

shpalman wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:20 pm
Opposite to the usual fuckery, USians trying to get their under-5 children vaccinated "off label"
The 10-microgram dose authorized for kids five to 11 has not been tested among younger kids, who received a 3 mg dose in the Pfizer/BioNTech pediatric trial.
I'd f.cking hope nobody gives them 3 mg instead of 3 μg you f.cking morons.
No kidding. One vial only contains 100 micrograms right? You'd have to line up a bunch of vials for each child.

User avatar
shpalman
Princess POW
Posts: 7050
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Vaccine ****ery

Post by shpalman » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:03 pm

Djokovic likely to be allowed to play tennis in Italy because it's an outdoor sport.

Doesn't necessarily mean he'll actually be let into the country of course.
molto tricky

User avatar
Stranger Mouse
Dorkwood
Posts: 1513
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: Vaccine ****ery

Post by Stranger Mouse » Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:35 pm

monkey wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:27 pm
Kier Starter bundled off by the Po-Po...

...because he was being threatened by antivaxxers, not because he's been a naughty boy. Unsurprisingly they were also using the Jimmy Savile thing that Johnson revived the other day.

Also read that Piers Corbyn was giving them a speech after.

clicky
Apparently the guy shouting about Starmer not opposing the government and standing up for the working class is actually a former Tory councillor. I knew the guy was there I didn’t realise he was the one shouting that!

Really good podcast on that conspiracy theorist mob here. Well worth a listen. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/podcasts/sto ... -our-times
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

User avatar
jimbob
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3873
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Location: High Peak/Manchester

Re: Vaccine ****ery

Post by jimbob » Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:22 pm

Cross posted from the invasion of Ukraine thread

Tying this to Covid and bot farms.

https://twitter.com/klharlow/status/149 ... 0jKVp9AL9A

Here's a report I pulled today - tweets with the hashtag "myocarditis" stopped for 30+ hours. Tweets with the hashtag "covid19vaccine" stopped happening for even longer than that.

A bunch of antivax and generally disruptive hashtags are showing odd trends right now.
With a very interesting graph, and part of a thread.


From earlier in it.
Russia is trying to keep word of how badly the war is going from reaching their people, so they're limiting access to Facebook and Twitter.

What trolls and bots they do have are now spreading disinformation about the war.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

User avatar
jimbob
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3873
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Location: High Peak/Manchester

Re: Vaccine ****ery

Post by jimbob » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:43 pm

jimbob wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:22 pm
Cross posted from the invasion of Ukraine thread

Tying this to Covid and bot farms.

https://twitter.com/klharlow/status/149 ... 0jKVp9AL9A

Here's a report I pulled today - tweets with the hashtag "myocarditis" stopped for 30+ hours. Tweets with the hashtag "covid19vaccine" stopped happening for even longer than that.

A bunch of antivax and generally disruptive hashtags are showing odd trends right now.
With a very interesting graph, and part of a thread.


From earlier in it.
Russia is trying to keep word of how badly the war is going from reaching their people, so they're limiting access to Facebook and Twitter.

What trolls and bots they do have are now spreading disinformation about the war.
Nope - it was an artefact of Hoaxy - everything seemed to flatline for that timeframe
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

User avatar
jimbob
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3873
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Location: High Peak/Manchester

Re: Vaccine ****ery

Post by jimbob » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:08 am

Not new news, but again

https://theprovince.com/news/canada/rus ... irs-expert

Russia pushing antivax conspiracy theories. Probably because once you fall for one, you're more likely to fall for others, and end up radicalising yourself.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

User avatar
Trinucleus
Catbabel
Posts: 758
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:45 pm

Re: Vaccine ****ery

Post by Trinucleus » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:56 pm

It's scary how dangerous the vaccine is. According to well informed sources it's causing hepatitis in 2-5 year olds who are actually too young to be vaccinated and too old to be born to vaccinated parents.....

Post Reply