Vaccine rollout in Spain

Covid-19 discussion, bring your own statistics
User avatar
sTeamTraen
After Pie
Posts: 2078
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm
Location: Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Re: Vaccine rollout in Spain

Post by sTeamTraen » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:01 pm

Today:

- The European Medicines Agency recommended that people under 60 who have had a first AstraZeneca does should have the second on schedule.
- The Balearic Islands health authorities suspended the second AstraZeneca dose for 8000 teachers under 60. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.diariodemallorca.es/mallorc ... 92237.html
Something something hammer something something nail

User avatar
shpalman
Light of Blast
Posts: 5361
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Vaccine rollout in Spain

Post by shpalman » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:49 am

molto tricky

User avatar
Opti
Catbabel
Posts: 896
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:21 pm
Location: Got a home right by the sea.

Re: Vaccine rollout in Spain

Post by Opti » Tue May 04, 2021 4:33 pm

First (AZ) jab today. ddb gets hers tomorrow. The system now seems to be running very smoothly. Limited only by supply issues.
Time for a big fat one.

User avatar
sTeamTraen
After Pie
Posts: 2078
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm
Location: Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Re: Vaccine rollout in Spain

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue May 04, 2021 11:18 pm

Opti wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 4:33 pm
First (AZ) jab today. ddb gets hers tomorrow. The system now seems to be running very smoothly. Limited only by supply issues.
2.4 million people jabbed in the last 7 days! :shock:
Something something hammer something something nail

User avatar
Brightonian
Catbabel
Posts: 807
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:16 pm
Location: Usually UK, often France and Ireland

Re: Vaccine rollout in Spain

Post by Brightonian » Mon May 10, 2021 9:41 am


User avatar
sTeamTraen
After Pie
Posts: 2078
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm
Location: Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Re: Vaccine rollout in Spain

Post by sTeamTraen » Mon May 10, 2021 6:14 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:41 am
PARTY!!!!!
Here in Baleares, most of the restrictions have continued despite the lifting of the state of alarm. This includes the curfew, which surprised me—I appreciate that the regional government can impose whatever restrictions it wants on the opening hours of the hospitality sector for which it hands out licences, but without wishing to go all Magna Carta, I would have thought that going out of your house at night comes under fairly basic freedoms that the constitution ought to protect. But it went to the regional court and they OK'd it.

We are now at 55 cases/100k/14 days, which is only a little higher than the UK. People here were disappointed that the UK's green list is per-country and not per-region, because in the latter case we would have been on it with some margin.

Meanwhile Spain vaccinated 2.7 million people in the last week. :D
Something something hammer something something nail

User avatar
shpalman
Light of Blast
Posts: 5361
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Vaccine rollout in Spain

Post by shpalman » Tue May 11, 2021 5:02 pm

Wow, we're still generally at about 100/100,000/week here, with the province of Como remaining a bit higher.

(That's the rate the UK had at the end of February).
molto tricky

User avatar
Opti
Catbabel
Posts: 896
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:21 pm
Location: Got a home right by the sea.

Re: Vaccine rollout in Spain

Post by Opti » Tue May 18, 2021 8:23 am

Phone call this morning.
2nd AZ jab next Tuesday. Things are moving at pace here now. Not that many refusers (mostly Brit enclave dwellers).
Time for a big fat one.

User avatar
sTeamTraen
After Pie
Posts: 2078
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm
Location: Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Re: Vaccine rollout in Spain

Post by sTeamTraen » Sat May 29, 2021 1:23 pm

Here in the Balearics (and I guess the same applies across all of Spain), we have to decide what to do with the 28,000 or so people who have had a first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine and are under 60 (the age below which the blood clots issue is officially considered to be a problem, although here is a 67-year-old who may have had it). These people are mostly health care workers, teachers, and others in front-line professions. They will be offered a choice:

1. Get a second dose of AZ after signing an informed consent form. Apparently there are far fewer blood clot incidents after the second dose, presumably because if it's going to happen it will already have happened the first time.

2. Get a Pfizer jab as their second dose. No informed consent required, and most people probably wanted Pfizer anyway. Two problems here:
- Nobody is sure of the efficacy of the mixed approach. It could be lower, the same, or higher. Trials are apparently underway, but with infection rates falling and people getting vaccinated at some speed, I think they may have trouble getting enough volunteers.
- The mixed-vaccine approach is not approved by the WHO or EMA. So as things stand today, someone who has had this will not be eligible for "has completed an approved vaccine course" travel and other privileges.

Mrs sTeamTraen and I had our first AZ doses six weeks ago and are due to have the second in mid-July. We don't expect to be offered the above choice, as we are in the over-60 category, but if we are, we will go for the second AZ dose.
Something something hammer something something nail

Herainestold
Dorkwood
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: Vaccine rollout in Spain

Post by Herainestold » Sat May 29, 2021 4:18 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 1:23 pm
Here in the Balearics (and I guess the same applies across all of Spain), we have to decide what to do with the 28,000 or so people who have had a first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine and are under 60 (the age below which the blood clots issue is officially considered to be a problem, although here is a 67-year-old who may have had it). These people are mostly health care workers, teachers, and others in front-line professions. They will be offered a choice:

1. Get a second dose of AZ after signing an informed consent form. Apparently there are far fewer blood clot incidents after the second dose, presumably because if it's going to happen it will already have happened the first time.

2. Get a Pfizer jab as their second dose. No informed consent required, and most people probably wanted Pfizer anyway. Two problems here:
- Nobody is sure of the efficacy of the mixed approach. It could be lower, the same, or higher. Trials are apparently underway, but with infection rates falling and people getting vaccinated at some speed, I think they may have trouble getting enough volunteers.
- The mixed-vaccine approach is not approved by the WHO or EMA. So as things stand today, someone who has had this will not be eligible for "has completed an approved vaccine course" travel and other privileges.

Mrs sTeamTraen and I had our first AZ doses six weeks ago and are due to have the second in mid-July. We don't expect to be offered the above choice, as we are in the over-60 category, but if we are, we will go for the second AZ dose.
There was a Spanish study that showed the AZ/Pfizer combo resulted in increased antibodies, which could correlate with higher efficacy.
MADRID (Reuters) -A Spanish study on mixing COVID-19 vaccines has found that giving a dose of Pfizer's drug to people who already received a first shot of AstraZeneca vaccine is highly safe and effective, preliminary results showed on Tuesday.

The Combivacs study, run by Spain's state-backed Carlos III Health Institute, found the presence of IgG antibodies in the bloodstream was between 30 and 40 times higher in people who got the follow-up Pfizer shot than in a control group who only received one AstraZeneca dose.

Meanwhile, the presence of neutralising antibodies rose sevenfold after a Pfizer dose, significantly more than the doubling effect observed after a second AstraZeneca shot.
https://news.yahoo.com/spanish-study-fi ... 31335.html
Vaccination saves lives. Lockdowns stop transmission.

User avatar
sTeamTraen
After Pie
Posts: 2078
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm
Location: Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Re: Vaccine rollout in Spain

Post by sTeamTraen » Sun May 30, 2021 9:59 pm

Herainestold wrote:
Sat May 29, 2021 4:18 pm
There was a Spanish study that showed the AZ/Pfizer combo resulted in increased antibodies, which could correlate with higher efficacy.
Thanks. I can think of "intuitive" reasons both for and against.
Something something hammer something something nail

User avatar
sTeamTraen
After Pie
Posts: 2078
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm
Location: Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Re: Vaccine rollout in Spain

Post by sTeamTraen » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:23 am

Spain performed 3.18 million vaccinations in the week to 7 June, compared with 3.58 million for the UK, whose population is 42% higher. I suspect the pool of potential vaccinees is starting to run out in the UK, with 77% of adults now having had a first dose.
Something something hammer something something nail

User avatar
sTeamTraen
After Pie
Posts: 2078
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm
Location: Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Re: Vaccine rollout in Spain

Post by sTeamTraen » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:24 pm

I just got my EU digital Covid certificate in 60 seconds from the regional health authority's web site, using the Spanish secure digital ID system which is available to every citizen, requiring only an ID card and a phone that can receive SMS messages.

Vaccine.png
Vaccine.png (63.57 KiB) Viewed 420 times
Something something hammer something something nail

User avatar
sTeamTraen
After Pie
Posts: 2078
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm
Location: Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Re: Vaccine rollout in Spain

Post by sTeamTraen » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:58 pm

3.98 million doses were delivered in Spain in the last week - that's at least 10% of the adult population. Around 66% of adults(*) have had one dose and 47% two doses (or Janssen). Those numbers are quite close together because Spain has been scrupulously respecting the manufacturers' recommended intervals.

Uptake still seems to be very high. We are only just getting round to opening vaccinations to the 16-29 age group, as demand has been huge in all the others. In contrast, France opened their programme to all ages a few weeks ago and is currently running ads begging people to get vaccinated. We're still at the sh.tty stick stage here, with our local health authority's web page crashing every time a new group is announced. They just put in a queuing system on the site and when I looked yesterday at midnight the wait was still 10 minutes.

They must have a little bit of capacity locally, though, because yesterday Mrs sTeamTraen and I got SMS messages saying that although our appointments for the second AZ dose were not for two weeks, we could go along to the centre "at the same time of day as your appointment" on any day from then on. The appointment was at 14:30 and the SMSs arrived at 15:20. We looked at each other and jumped in the car. Arrived at 16:00, which in Spain is not too late for a 14:30 appointment even on the same day, and were jabbed by 16:30 and out of the allergic reaction zone by 16:45. I was able to download my EU Digital Covid Certificate showing both jabs by 22:00.

(*) Assumes population = 47 million and 83% are adults, per some digging I did on a web site that I've now lost the link for.
Something something hammer something something nail

Herainestold
Dorkwood
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: Vaccine rollout in Spain

Post by Herainestold » Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:00 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:58 pm
3.98 million doses were delivered in Spain in the last week - that's at least 10% of the adult population. Around 66% of adults(*) have had one dose and 47% two doses (or Janssen). Those numbers are quite close together because Spain has been scrupulously respecting the manufacturers' recommended intervals.

Uptake still seems to be very high. We are only just getting round to opening vaccinations to the 16-29 age group, as demand has been huge in all the others. In contrast, France opened their programme to all ages a few weeks ago and is currently running ads begging people to get vaccinated. We're still at the sh.tty stick stage here, with our local health authority's web page crashing every time a new group is announced. They just put in a queuing system on the site and when I looked yesterday at midnight the wait was still 10 minutes.

They must have a little bit of capacity locally, though, because yesterday Mrs sTeamTraen and I got SMS messages saying that although our appointments for the second AZ dose were not for two weeks, we could go along to the centre "at the same time of day as your appointment" on any day from then on. The appointment was at 14:30 and the SMSs arrived at 15:20. We looked at each other and jumped in the car. Arrived at 16:00, which in Spain is not too late for a 14:30 appointment even on the same day, and were jabbed by 16:30 and out of the allergic reaction zone by 16:45. I was able to download my EU Digital Covid Certificate showing both jabs by 22:00.

(*) Assumes population = 47 million and 83% are adults, per some digging I did on a web site that I've now lost the link for.
Good to hear you two got your second doses. I know it was a big relief for me, especially with the Delta variant raging.
Vaccination saves lives. Lockdowns stop transmission.

User avatar
sTeamTraen
After Pie
Posts: 2078
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm
Location: Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Re: Vaccine rollout in Spain

Post by sTeamTraen » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:41 am

Reluctant though I am to suggest that vaccination is a competitive activity, the UK was the country that told everyone how brilliant its programme was and how useless the unelected Sharia-loving champagne-swilling jackbooted globalist EuSSR bureaucrats had been, so I'll just leave this here anyway.

spain.png
spain.png (68.11 KiB) Viewed 300 times
Something something hammer something something nail

Herainestold
Dorkwood
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: Vaccine rollout in Spain

Post by Herainestold » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:23 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:41 am
Reluctant though I am to suggest that vaccination is a competitive activity, the UK was the country that told everyone how brilliant its programme was and how useless the unelected Sharia-loving champagne-swilling jackbooted globalist EuSSR bureaucrats had been, so I'll just leave this here anyway.


spain.png
I'm not sure what your point is. UK did remarkably well despite having a corrupt incompetent populist government, due to the professionalism of its health sector, and a lucky bet on AZ. Imagine if they had tried to throw their lot in with Merck or Sanofi. Also we were quick enough to start jabbing AZ before its rare adverse effects started to sink in.

I expect when all is said and done the more leftist euro regimes will have done better getting vaccines to every aspect of their societies. Europe was hampered at first by the fact that UK had hoovered up much of the vaccine supply, and there were the inevitable hiccups while supply was ramped up.
Unfortunately Delta got here first and we will be fighting it for the rest of 2021.

The weird situation is the vaccines make the virus less deadly but more transmissible, so we are going to see 100% seropositivity, but at the cost of how many dead?
Vaccination saves lives. Lockdowns stop transmission.

User avatar
shpalman
Light of Blast
Posts: 5361
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Vaccine rollout in Spain

Post by shpalman » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:32 pm

Herainestold wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:23 pm
sTeamTraen wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:41 am
Reluctant though I am to suggest that vaccination is a competitive activity, the UK was the country that told everyone how brilliant its programme was and how useless the unelected Sharia-loving champagne-swilling jackbooted globalist EuSSR bureaucrats had been, so I'll just leave this here anyway.


spain.png
I'm not sure what your point is. UK did remarkably well despite having a corrupt incompetent populist government, due to the professionalism of its health sector, and a lucky bet on AZ. Imagine if they had tried to throw their lot in with Merck or Sanofi. Also we were quick enough to start jabbing AZ before its rare adverse effects started to sink in.
The UK was giving AZ to older people, who didn't tend to have that many adverse effects, while the EU waited for there to actually be evidence that it worked for them; so the EU was giving it to selected younger groups first i.e. teachers and policemen, and the adverse effects showed up. Adverse effects also showed up in the UK once the rollout reached younger people.
Herainestold wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:23 pm
I expect when all is said and done the more leftist euro regimes will have done better getting vaccines to every aspect of their societies. Europe was hampered at first by the fact that UK had hoovered up much of the vaccine supply, and there were the inevitable hiccups while supply was ramped up.
Unfortunately Delta got here first and we will be fighting it for the rest of 2021.

The weird situation is the vaccines make the virus less deadly but more transmissible, so we are going to see 100% seropositivity, but at the cost of how many dead?
Not that many, because the vaccines make it less deadly.
molto tricky

Herainestold
Dorkwood
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: Vaccine rollout in Spain

Post by Herainestold » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:10 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:32 pm

Not that many, because the vaccines make it less deadly.
At this point 20 million in the UK unvaccinated at just 1% CFR thats 200 000 dead.
Plus how many fully vaccinated deaths. Another 20 000?
Vaccination saves lives. Lockdowns stop transmission.

Millennie Al
Catbabel
Posts: 910
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:02 am

Re: Vaccine rollout in Spain

Post by Millennie Al » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:33 am

Herainestold wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:10 pm
At this point 20 million in the UK unvaccinated at just 1% CFR thats 200 000 dead.
Plus how many fully vaccinated deaths. Another 20 000?
No. The 1% CFR is across the whole population. Those who have been vaccinated are not a random sample from the population, so the CFR will be much lower on those still unvaccinated.
Covid-19 - Don't catch it: don't spread it.

Herainestold
Dorkwood
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: Vaccine rollout in Spain

Post by Herainestold » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:38 am

It is a back of the envelope worst case estimate. This virus has constantly proved worse case scenarios to be true.
We don't know what the CFR for Delta is yet, so in the absence of better information it is reasonable to use 1%
Vaccination saves lives. Lockdowns stop transmission.

User avatar
shpalman
Light of Blast
Posts: 5361
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Vaccine rollout in Spain

Post by shpalman » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:27 am

Herainestold wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:38 am
It is a back of the envelope worst case estimate. This virus has constantly proved worse case scenarios to be true.
We don't know what the CFR for Delta is yet, so in the absence of better information it is reasonable to use 1%
Well it's currently about 0.3% in the UK as a whole (it was 2% before) although I'll be able to pin that down better if deaths peak following the peak in cases.
molto tricky

User avatar
lpm
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3474
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm

Re: Vaccine rollout in Spain

Post by lpm » Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:18 am

This is totally mad.

Of approx 20 million unvaccinated in the UK, about 14 million are children. The fatality risk for children is in the region of 0.0001%. Or maybe 0.00001%.

Herainestold, you need to get a grip of yourself. You are trapped in downwards spirals of anxiety and exaggeration, and it's not good for your health. 140,000 children are not about to die. By proclaiming doom every minute of every day, you've convinced yourself of doom. I've no idea what age you are, but you are double dosed. I genuinely urge you to break out from this and go back to living a well rounded life.
What ever happened to that Trump guy, you know, the one who was president for a bit?

Herainestold
Dorkwood
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: Vaccine rollout in Spain

Post by Herainestold » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:32 pm

lpm wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:18 am
This is totally mad.

Of approx 20 million unvaccinated in the UK, about 14 million are children. The fatality risk for children is in the region of 0.0001%. Or maybe 0.00001%.

Herainestold, you need to get a grip of yourself. You are trapped in downwards spirals of anxiety and exaggeration, and it's not good for your health. 140,000 children are not about to die. By proclaiming doom every minute of every day, you've convinced yourself of doom. I've no idea what age you are, but you are double dosed. I genuinely urge you to break out from this and go back to living a well rounded life.
Thanks, but I prefer to protect myself and others around me.
Vaccination saves lives. Lockdowns stop transmission.

Herainestold
Dorkwood
Posts: 1302
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: Vaccine rollout in Spain

Post by Herainestold » Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:50 am

20 million minus 14 million kids =6 million adults x.3% = 18 000 plus many children.

Does anyone have any figures for how many fatalities there have been in this current wave, so far?
Vaccination saves lives. Lockdowns stop transmission.

Post Reply