Has anyone had the vaccine yet?

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Lew Dolby
Catbabel

Re: Has anyone had the vaccine yet?

Post by Lew Dolby » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:04 pm

I took a book for the wait-time. Buggers insisted I leave before I got to the end of the chapter I was reading !! Wasn't as if they need the seat - was only about half a dozen of us in seating for 3 or 4 dozen.
WOULD CUSTOMERS PLEASE REFRAIN FROM SITTING ON THE COUNTER BY THE BACON SLICER - AS WE'RE GETTING A LITTLE BEHIND IN OUR ORDERS.

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:09 pm

I think some centres have poorer wifi so it takes longer for the microchip to connect and transfer the 5G data.

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:10 pm

Mrs V now in bed and decidedly shivery. Looks better than about 30 minutes ago though.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:07 pm

veravista wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:10 pm
Mrs V now in bed and decidedly shivery. Looks better than about 30 minutes ago though.
Oh no, that sounds pretty rough. I hope she feels better soon.

Mum got her vaccine last night. She said it was really well organised. Her only complaint was about finding the entrance to the site which didn't sound particularly well signposted, and differs from the usual entrance route. Apparently she was given the option of waiting inside or in her car for the 15 mins post-jab.

So far she's fine. I think she said her arm was a little sore but nothing worse than a flu vaccination.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:26 pm

She's fine. Got up and had some soup, read for a bit and has gone to bed.

Lydia Gwilt
Stargoon

Post by Lydia Gwilt » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:15 pm

jdc wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:45 pm
Lydia Gwilt wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:45 pm
Tessa K wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:14 am

A friend of mine (50 ish marathon runner) said he had a rough couple of days after the second Pfizer dose. Is the response related to how efficient your immune system is?
Possibly, although marathon runners have notoriously poor immune responses.
There's a very long review article here: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 00648/full that argues otherwise.

Their longish summary of the article: Spoiler:

Marathons and ultramarathons not specifically mentioned in that summary but are discussed in the article. They refer to studies finding that IgA secretion decreased after marathons or 2h rowing sessions - and point out that "contradictory findings are also in abundance but are much less cited in the literature".
THanks for that, I must re-assess my immunology.

monkey
After Pie

Post by monkey » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:14 pm

Since I had my first jab I have had 2 Covid tests (one since 2nd)*. Both have been negative. I hope this means the vaccine is either working for me, but I suppose if I've not been exposed enough to get The Covids, that just means I'm awesome at masks and distancing. I'm happy either way.

*I now get to scrape my nose every two weeks at work, rather than just being picked at random.

yoss
Fleury White

Post by yoss » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:28 pm

-- I posted the below in the wrong thread, so I've pasted it below, I'll try and delete that other post now! --

Some anecdotal stuff here from South Manchester.

I've just had the first dose, as have two of my close friends. I'm a health 61 year old man. My friends are 51 (male asian athematic), and 41 - heart condition, male. Among our close friendship group of around 10 people aged 40 - 60is only one hasn't yet been offered or had the vaccine. We are fairly unrepresentative, either working in health or social care, having health problems or just being a bit old, but I'm still impressed at the number of us being jabbed.

As to the immunisation centre; it seemed extremely well organised with a steady flow of people being directed through with considerable efficiency.

-- now then; it's back to lurking for me!

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:13 pm

bagpuss wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:48 am
As of Tuesday, our GP practice was still waiting on notification as to when they're getting vaccine supplies that they're allowed to use for the 65-70 age group. I'm not sure where the hold up is happening (definitely not at GP level - they've been great and were prepped and ready to go well before they got any vaccines) but my area definitely seems to have been near the bottom of the list for vaccine supplies for some reason, even though we had high levels of the Kent variant so were in lockdown back before Christmas.

So as I'm in the last group for phase 2 (51 next month, no underlying conditions), I'm really not expecting to get mine before the very end of May at best.
I'm (mostly) very happy to admit that I was completely wrong. I've just had my invitation to book. Need to co-ordinate with Mr Bagpuss about exactly when I have it (we'll want to stagger by a few days in case we have bad side effects - wouldn't be ideal to have to look after the bagkitten with both of us feeling sh.t) but in theory, I could have it this Saturday.

The reason I'm not entirely happy to be wrong is that it would appear that this is at least in part due to the pretty low take up so far by some of the later groups in my area. More than a quarter of people in group 6 are yet to book and it's been over a week since the last people in that group were invited, and they started inviting something like 3 weeks ago or even more.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:28 pm

People who say I told you so have to be the most annoying people on earth.

It shows a character failing, an inadequacy that reveals itself as a rather pathetic bit of boasting.

I pity them.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:28 pm

bagpuss wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:13 pm
bagpuss wrote:
As of Tuesday, our GP practice was still waiting on notification as to when they're getting vaccine supplies that they're allowed to use for the 65-70 age group. I'm not sure where the hold up is happening (definitely not at GP level - they've been great and were prepped and ready to go well before they got any vaccines) but my area definitely seems to have been near the bottom of the list for vaccine supplies for some reason, even though we had high levels of the Kent variant so were in lockdown back before Christmas.

So as I'm in the last group for phase 2 (51 next month, no underlying conditions), I'm really not expecting to get mine before the very end of May at best.
I'm (mostly) very happy to admit that I was completely wrong. I've just had my invitation to book. Need to co-ordinate with Mr Bagpuss about exactly when I have it (we'll want to stagger by a few days in case we have bad side effects - wouldn't be ideal to have to look after the bagkitten with both of us feeling sh.t) but in theory, I could have it this Saturday.

The reason I'm not entirely happy to be wrong is that it would appear that this is at least in part due to the pretty low take up so far by some of the later groups in my area. More than a quarter of people in group 6 are yet to book and it's been over a week since the last people in that group were invited, and they started inviting something like 3 weeks ago or even more.
I told you so.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:10 pm

lpm wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:28 pm
bagpuss wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:13 pm
bagpuss wrote:

I told you so.
You are absolutely entitled to say that and I am taking it like a woman :D

PeteB
Clardic Fug

Post by PeteB » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:49 am

Booked online, when someone posted on here it had opened up to the over 55s - found the soonest appointment - todays the day ! Quite excited - got my vaccine day outfit on :D

bagpuss
After Pie

Post by bagpuss » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:26 pm

PeteB wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:49 am
Booked online, when someone posted on here it had opened up to the over 55s - found the soonest appointment - todays the day ! Quite excited - got my vaccine day outfit on :D
Hope it went well and you don't feel too rough afterwards.

I've got mine booked for the 20th - allowing myself just under a week to recover before my birthday (second one in lockdown) :D

PeteB
Clardic Fug

Post by PeteB » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:42 am

bagpuss wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:26 pm
PeteB wrote:

I've got mine booked for the 20th - allowing myself just under a week to recover before my birthday (second one in lockdown) :D
Thanks- it was the AZ vaccine in the newly opened Pharmacy Vaccination Centre in Hathersage ! There were 5 cubicles I think - 3 were free when I arrived and nobody had to wait for a free cubicle while I was there - they could have actually vaccinated more people. It was in Hathersage Memorial Hall - had the whole of the front of the building opened up so good ventilation

No side effects so far whatsoever - not even a sore arm - hope it still means I am producing antibodies !

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:28 pm

PeteB wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:42 am
bagpuss wrote:
PeteB wrote:

Thanks- it was the AZ vaccine in the newly opened Pharmacy Vaccination Centre in Hathersage ! There were 5 cubicles I think - 3 were free when I arrived and nobody had to wait for a free cubicle while I was there - they could have actually vaccinated more people. It was in Hathersage Memorial Hall - had the whole of the front of the building opened up so good ventilation

No side effects so far whatsoever - not even a sore arm - hope it still means I am producing antibodies !
You can make antibodies without having side effects from a vaccine (or symptoms from a virus). Also, memory B and memory T cells.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:32 pm

jdc wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:28 pm
PeteB wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:42 am
bagpuss wrote:

You can make antibodies without having side effects from a vaccine (or symptoms from a virus). Also, memory B and memory T cells.
Can you have side effects and not make any antibodies?

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:57 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:32 pm
As I understand it, developing antibodies is a sign of an immune response and developing side-effects is a sign of a strong immune response so it doesn't seem plausible that you'd have side effects and not make any antibodies. I think the side effects group is a subset of the antibody group.

AZ trials showed 99.something percent developed antibodies after two doses. That KCL thing on cancer patients that jimbob linked to in the other thread has 97% of Pfizered controls developing antibodies after dose 1 and 100% after dose 2.

The Lancet paper on AZ also says "Cellular immune responses were also induced in all age and dose groups, peaking at day 14 after vaccination." https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanc ... 1/fulltext And here's what it says about antibodies:
Neutralising titres were achieved by 14 days after the boost vaccination in 208 (>99%) of 209 recipients of a boost vaccination. The one participant with a non-neutralising level was in the 70 years and older two-dose low-dose group.

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:07 pm

Also, while I'm banging on about it, https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/18/heal ... odies.html
Even low levels of powerful neutralizing antibodies may still be protective, as are the immune system’s T cells and B cells.
Apart from T cells, which can kill the virus on encounter, people who have been infected make so-called memory B cells, which can rapidly ramp up antibody production when needed.
even low levels of antibodies might be enough to thwart the virus. “It does appear that even low levels of certain antibodies have potent neutralizing capability,” said Dr. Rasmussen, the Columbia University virologist. “Low antibody titers don’t necessarily determine whether a patient will be protected from reinfection.”
That last quote is about the findings of this paper: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2456-9

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Re: Vaccine rollout in the UK

Post by Brightonian » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:01 pm

Having my first dose tomorrow. People who've had it already, what should I expect? I've been told to turn up no earlier than 5 minutes before my appointment, but in practice are there delays? My jab's late in the day, at 17:40, so I'm guessing there might be knock-on delays from whatever problems they might encounter during the day.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:35 pm

jdc wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:57 pm
Fishnut wrote:
As I understand it, developing antibodies is a sign of an immune response and developing side-effects is a sign of a strong immune response so it doesn't seem plausible that you'd have side effects and not make any antibodies. I think the side effects group is a subset of the antibody group.
That's what I was hoping :)

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:40 pm

Just turn up when you're supposed to and follow the instructions. If you have to queue indoors ask them how they are doing for timing, there will be someone standing at the entrance. Mine was at 10am and I was out by 10:07.
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:53 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:35 pm
jdc wrote:
Fishnut wrote:
It occurred to me that I never made a distinction earlier. Sore arm is a local reaction obv., but the fatigue, chills, headache etc are all systemic. I'd have thought it'd be possible to have a sore arm from an injection and not develop antibodies. (Not that this applies to you, iirc you managed to get an impressive collection of side effects.)

Brightonian
Dorkwood

Post by Brightonian » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:57 pm

Brightonian wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:01 pm
Having my first dose tomorrow. People who've had it already, what should I expect? I've been told to turn up no earlier than 5 minutes before my appointment, but in practice are there delays? My jab's late in the day, at 17:40, so I'm guessing there might be knock-on delays from whatever problems they might encounter during the day.
discovolante wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:40 pm
Just turn up when you're supposed to and follow the instructions. If you have to queue indoors ask them how they are doing for timing, there will be someone standing at the entrance. Mine was at 10am and I was out by 10:07.
Thanks Disco (and for moving my post). Someone elsewhere said "bring a book" (apparently took them an hour from joining the queue till leaving the building).

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:01 pm

jdc wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:53 pm
Fishnut wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:35 pm
jdc wrote:

It occurred to me that I never made a distinction earlier. Sore arm is a local reaction obv., but the fatigue, chills, headache etc are all systemic. I'd have thought it'd be possible to have a sore arm from an injection and not develop antibodies. (Not that this applies to you, iirc you managed to get an impressive collection of side effects.)
I did indeed. Just wanted to check it wasn't for nothing!