Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people

Will the UK achieve unlockdown by the Summer Solstice?

Yes, easy peasy
2%
Yes, but only because the govt won't want to u-turn
42%
There or thereabouts, might be pushed back a couple of weeks
11%
No, the numbers won't allow it, and each stage will be delayed adding up to a couple more months of measures
20%
No, not a chance, the virus will have another serious wave and relockdown will be required
24%

Total votes: 45

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Re: Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:33 pm

My sister reports low mask use in her area of London (the elephant), plus a confusing bunch of people voluntarily wearing masks but not covering their noses. Nowt as queer as folk.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:57 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:33 pm
My sister reports low mask use in her area of London (the elephant), plus a confusing bunch of people voluntarily wearing masks but not covering their noses. Nowt as queer as folk.
Quite a few people up here in North London do the 'mask only over the mouth' style. But then, perhaps they're all mouth breathers.

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:38 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
a confusing bunch of people voluntarily wearing masks but not covering their noses.
It's not completely insane. If you believe the coronavirus is spread by droplets, then your nose is fairly harmless as the exhaled air stream is pointed downwards, while air from your mouth is propelled forwards, so needs a mask. While we all know that it's spread by aerosols, there has been so much emphasis on droplets - especially the 1m/2m/6foot rule - that it's understandable that some people believe it.

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:44 am

Millennie Al wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:38 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
a confusing bunch of people voluntarily wearing masks but not covering their noses.
It's not completely insane. If you believe the coronavirus is spread by droplets, then your nose is fairly harmless as the exhaled air stream is pointed downwards, while air from your mouth is propelled forwards, so needs a mask. While we all know that it's spread by aerosols, there has been so much emphasis on droplets - especially the 1m/2m/6foot rule - that it's understandable that some people believe it.
I can pretty much guarantee nearly all "mouth maskers" have given no thought to the aerosol vs droplet issue.

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:27 am

Good thread here about yesterday's anti-vax, anti-lockdown demo in Trafalgar Square citing some of the bollix the speakers said. f.cking terrifying.

https://twitter.com/Shayan86/status/1418915810416934915

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:23 pm

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

OffTheRock
Fuzzable

Post by OffTheRock » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:10 pm

bob sterman wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:44 am
Millennie Al wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:38 am
Bird on a Fire wrote:
I can pretty much guarantee nearly all "mouth maskers" have given no thought to the aerosol vs droplet issue.
It doesn't explain the confusing group of people who voluntarily wear a mask on the bus, but under their chin. I kind of get the not covering the nose thing. That group of people have always existed. Up until now I'd always assumed the the 'under the chin' group of people were just breaking the rules because they didn't want to wear a mask. But now they don't have to wear a mask and their are still wearing it under their chin anyway.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:15 pm

Sarcastic mask wearing
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:20 pm

The man in the ironic mask?
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:18 pm

OffTheRock wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:10 pm
It doesn't explain the confusing group of people who voluntarily wear a mask on the bus, but under their chin. I kind of get the not covering the nose thing. That group of people have always existed. Up until now I'd always assumed the the 'under the chin' group of people were just breaking the rules because they didn't want to wear a mask. But now they don't have to wear a mask and their are still wearing it under their chin anyway.
Are you sure you weren't just tricked by one of these "Wearing Mask On Bottom of Chin Illusion" masks?

https://maskalike.com/products/mask-on- ... n-illusion

As the blurb says "It looks like you're wearing your mask wrong (aka being a "chin masker"). But it's actually on right! Wear it to surprise and amuse people around you."

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:45 am

OffTheRock wrote:
It doesn't explain the confusing group of people who voluntarily wear a mask on the bus, but under their chin. I kind of get the not covering the nose thing.
I'd guess that some, if challenged would say that they were wearing a mask, and others just want to be close enough to wearing a mask that they can rapidly re-position it, making challenging them tiresome as you know that they'll just move it again soon - unlike someone who has been forced to go and get a mask.

snoozeofreason
Snowbonk

Post by snoozeofreason » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:09 am

Tessa K wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:27 am
Good thread here about yesterday's anti-vax, anti-lockdown demo in Trafalgar Square citing some of the bollix the speakers said. f.cking terrifying.

https://twitter.com/Shayan86/status/1418915810416934915
One of the more prominent speakers was Kate Shemirani. I heard her son interviewed on Radio 4 this meeting, and it was all very sad. It sounds as if he grew with all this conspiracy stuff, but escaped his mother's influence at 17 by winning a scholarship to a private boarding school, and is now completely estranged from her. It's about the only time that I have ever had any positive feelings about private boarding schools though.
In six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them. The human body was knocked up pretty late on the Friday afternoon, with a deadline looming. How well do you expect it to work?

Tessa K
Light of Blast

Post by Tessa K » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:48 am

Millennie Al wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:45 am
OffTheRock wrote:
It doesn't explain the confusing group of people who voluntarily wear a mask on the bus, but under their chin. I kind of get the not covering the nose thing.
I'd guess that some, if challenged would say that they were wearing a mask, and others just want to be close enough to wearing a mask that they can rapidly re-position it, making challenging them tiresome as you know that they'll just move it again soon - unlike someone who has been forced to go and get a mask.
I suspect they pull it up if they see an inspector get on. If they can pull it up - wearing it under the chin stretrches the elastic so it may not stay up anyway.

Hunting Dog
Fuzzable

Post by Hunting Dog » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:05 pm

just had a message to all clients from my vets, saying that they're keeping mask wearing and other covid protocols in place :D

but have had clients abusing their staff because of this :evil: - seriously? how can people be such utter a..eholes?

they're sticking to their guns though, and have 'withdrawn services' from certain clients :D

I'll be buying food and accessories from their branch much more in future

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:49 pm

Hunting Dog wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:05 pm
just had a message to all clients from my vets, saying that they're keeping mask wearing and other covid protocols in place :D

but have had clients abusing their staff because of this :evil: - seriously? how can people be such utter a..eholes?

they're sticking to their guns though, and have 'withdrawn services' from certain clients :D

I'll be buying food and accessories from their branch much more in future
Our vets have had to say the same throughout the last year. They had a message on the phone saying that there was a zero tolerance approach to abuse of staff.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:12 am

Possible indication that the recent uptick in cases was the consequence of the 19 July reopening.

I think we have our first clear signal of a “Step 4” effect in today’s reported case data. While growth is flat in older age groups (>40s), and maybe even still falling in under-15s (a schools effect?), it’s picking back up in the young adult (15-40) group.

[...]

Looking –as usual- at the 20-24s, with no averaging, we can see a very clear reversal of the growth trend. That final datapoint on 27th July is incomplete so is very likely to go above the red line i.e. back into week-on-week growth, once the full data is filled in.

[...]

Why is this? The simplest explanation is that we’re seeing the impact of the first weekend after “Freedom Day”, with clubs / parties / festivals etc. leading to more infections. The timing fits, with Friday night’s infections being reported on a Tuesday specimen day.

[...]

There’s no clear differentiation in male & female case rates this time, but there is a bit of a split by region, with a stronger pick-up in growth in the Midlands (East and West), South East and South West, and weaker signals in London and the North West (more immunity??).

[...]

The important questions now are: how far does this pick-up in growth go? How long does it last? And does it spread into other age groups, or stay concentrated in the 15-30s? There’s no reason at all to panic, but we do need to keep a close eye on this.
https://twitter.com/jamesward73/status/ ... 90567?s=21

Obviously it’s all speculative until we get more data.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:31 am

? There's no uptick in cases. The data is inherently noisy, two or three days of data doesn't provide a signal. I can't trust any twitterer who spins lengthy narratives from tossing three tails in a row.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:39 am

lpm wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:31 am
? There's no uptick in cases. The data is inherently noisy, two or three days of data doesn't provide a signal. I can't trust any twitterer who spins lengthy narratives from tossing three tails in a row.
Fair enough, good too to wait for some more data.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:43 am

lpm wrote:
Alternatively are we sure there was even a downtick? How many days in a row was that?

Still you're right that we should wait a week or so to be sure which way it's going.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:54 am

shpalman wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:43 am
lpm wrote:
Alternatively are we sure there was even a downtick? How many days in a row was that?

Still you're right that we should wait a week or so to be sure which way it's going.
By date reported the recent peak was 54,674 on 17 July.

It’s been lower for the last 12 days. Yesterday’s count was 31 117.

I think we can assume a trend, though of course one that could be reversed.

I agree, best to wait for a week of data before assuming any other trend.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:05 am

Quite, we had two or three days of falling cases and suspected it was mad random noise, then it kept going for 10 days or so, and we had a couple of crazy "halved in a week" numbers that we assumed were anomalies, then two or three days when it's only down 20% from the previous week...

Also when there's vast amounts of data people are lured into cherry picking, e.g. taking 20-24 and comparing London to the South West and spinning a narrative about how nightclubs on a Friday night are different in Leeds compared to Manchester and how dog ownership rates in Sunderland leads to....

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:08 am

Best of all, wait for the ONS survey to avoid artefacts from changes to testing patterns.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:15 pm

The excellent John Burn Murdoch on the relationship between the ONS numbers and the daily cases numbers: https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status ... 54307?s=21

ETA ONS numbers here: https://twitter.com/ons/status/1421065864418406400?s=21

wilsontown
Clardic Fug

Post by wilsontown » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:17 pm

Following today's update, the 7 day average in cases peaked on July 18th at nigh on 48,000, and has fallen every day since. But the rate of fall has slowed down.
"All models are wrong but some are useful" - George Box

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:24 pm

Cases have started falling again. I shall explain this one day trend in the following tweets. (1/226)