Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Covid-19 discussion, bring your own statistics
Post Reply

Will the UK achieve unlockdown by the Summer Solstice?

Yes, easy peasy
1
2%
Yes, but only because the govt won't want to u-turn
18
41%
There or thereabouts, might be pushed back a couple of weeks
5
11%
No, the numbers won't allow it, and each stage will be delayed adding up to a couple more months of measures
9
20%
No, not a chance, the virus will have another serious wave and relockdown will be required
11
25%
 
Total votes: 44

User avatar
Gfamily
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2739
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm
Location: NW England

Re: Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Post by Gfamily » Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:21 pm

nezumi wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:59 pm
Just popped out to get cat food, and was pleasantly surprised that the majority are still wearing masks and respecting social distance. Teesside, I am proud of you (for once)
Don't know why (probably tired after a long day travelling yesterday), but my brain interpreted that as the majority of cats were wearing masks.
As you were.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

User avatar
Trinucleus
Fuzzable
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:45 pm

Re: Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Post by Trinucleus » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:00 pm

Been into a few shops ( a scarcity of ice, surprisingly). They know have signs saying "please wear a mask if you can" . I'd say about 50% wearers

OffTheRock
Clardic Fug
Posts: 177
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:52 pm

Re: Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Post by OffTheRock » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:10 pm

Tesco was about 50% maybe a bit less. The bus I got into work had 100% in masks. The first bus after work had less than half in masks so I let that one go and waited for the next one, which was about the same proportion as usual. Given how hot is is I was quite surprised.

Millennie Al
Catbabel
Posts: 774
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:02 am

Re: Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Post by Millennie Al » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:04 am

From Anti-lockdown protesters demand end to lockdown on day lockdown ended
The crowd ... held signs ... ‘it’s not a pandemic, it’s an IQ test’.
I'd have to agree with the "It's an IQ test" part of that. They might not agree with my opinion on what a passing score is.
Covid-19 - Don't catch it: don't spread it.

User avatar
JQH
Dorkwood
Posts: 1496
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:30 pm
Location: Sar Flandan

Re: Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Post by JQH » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:53 am

In Sainsburys yesterday the majority were wearing masks but Sainsburys themselves seem to be abandoning separate entrance and exits. Sanitation stations are still there.
And remember that if you botch the exit, the carnival of reaction may be coming to a town near you.

Fintan O'Toole

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood
Posts: 1087
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Re: Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Post by FlammableFlower » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:13 am

From the Washington Post:
The U.S. government issued its most severe warnings against travel to Britain this week as coronavirus cases there soared to the highest levels in months and authorities in England scrapped nearly all remaining restrictions in a bid to restart the economy.

The State Department and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Monday urged all Americans to avoid visiting the country. “Even fully vaccinated travelers may be at risk for getting and spreading COVID-19 variants,” the CDC said in an updated travel notice.

In its highest-level advisory Monday, the State Department delivered an even sterner warning. “Do not travel to the United Kingdom due to COVID-19,” the advisory said.

bagpuss
Catbabel
Posts: 888
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:10 pm

Re: Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Post by bagpuss » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:33 am

I've finally realised what this is all about. It's all a government plan to reduce immigration, isn't it? Turn the country into a plague pit and who'd want to come here?

It all makes sense.

User avatar
lpm
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3263
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm

Re: Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Post by lpm » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:39 am

Yep. They used every tool to drive out immigrants working in the NHS - no PPE, huge pressure from multiple waves, no pay rise, sarcastic clapping. If there's a single foreign nurse left by the end of the year they'll be disappointed.
What ever happened to that Trump guy, you know, the one who was president for a bit?

tom p
Dorkwood
Posts: 1090
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:14 pm
Location: the low countries

Re: Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Post by tom p » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:18 pm

headshot wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 4:14 pm
Zahawi has just announced that only fully vaccinated people will be allowed in nightclubs from the end of Sept...even though nightclubs opened to packed crowds last night. So 10 weeks for the virus to spread through the nightclub community (and their families and friends), then we'll make sure that people are safe.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/li ... e7a316c4da

This isn't closing the barn door after the horse has bolted. This is getting a horse before you've thought about applying for planning permission to build a barn.
This is why questions like "are you f.cking [redacted]?" should be considered perfectly acceptable parliamentary language, because there is no other suitable response to this.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood
Posts: 1087
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:22 pm

Re: Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Post by FlammableFlower » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:53 pm

It's mind-numbing in it's sheer stupidity. You can feel your brain clagging as you try to work out how they got there.

We now also have the ""it's just advisory, not a legal requirement" to self-isolate if pinged by the app, but we really, really would like you to. Except we also want everyone to carry on working..." view from government.
A Whitehall source also confirmed that the investment minister, Gerry Grimstone had written to at least one major manufacturing employer, first reported by the Times, telling them that the app’s instructions to isolate were only advisory.

A No 10 spokesperson said: “Isolation remains the most important action people can take to stop the spread of the virus. Given the risk of having and spreading the virus when people have been in contact with someone with Covid it is crucial people isolate when they are told to do so, either by NHS test and trace or by the NHS Covid app.

“Businesses should be supporting employees to isolate, they should not be encouraging them to break isolation.”

User avatar
snoozeofreason
Fuzzable
Posts: 303
Joined: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:22 pm

Re: Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Post by snoozeofreason » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:15 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:53 pm
It's mind-numbing in it's sheer stupidity. You can feel your brain clagging as you try to work out how they got there.

We now also have the ""it's just advisory, not a legal requirement" to self-isolate if pinged by the app, but we really, really would like you to. Except we also want everyone to carry on working..." view from government.
A Whitehall source also confirmed that the investment minister, Gerry Grimstone had written to at least one major manufacturing employer, first reported by the Times, telling them that the app’s instructions to isolate were only advisory.
...
I'm getting really fed up with the scriptwriters now. Giving your villains names like "Mr Grimstone" is a device that was done to death by Dickens, and has been widely satirised ever since. Time for some new blood in the writers' room I think.
In six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them. The human body was knocked up pretty late on the Friday afternoon, with a deadline looming. How well do you expect it to work?

User avatar
Trinucleus
Fuzzable
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:45 pm

Re: Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Post by Trinucleus » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:18 pm

A dilemma.

We've got a theatre trip booked the week before hopefully go to Crete, in mid September

To avoid testing positive before the holiday, safest option is obviously not to go to the theatre. But assuing we're feeling lucky would a good quality face mask be worth buying? A disposable one is our normal face covering of choice. A friend has given us some face visors but they presumably don't do much to stop you breathing in nasties?

WFJ
Sindis Poop
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:54 am

Re: Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Post by WFJ » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:26 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:18 pm
A dilemma.

We've got a theatre trip booked the week before hopefully go to Crete, in mid September

To avoid testing positive before the holiday, safest option is obviously not to go to the theatre. But assuing we're feeling lucky would a good quality face mask be worth buying? A disposable one is our normal face covering of choice. A friend has given us some face visors but they presumably don't do much to stop you breathing in nasties?
What do you mean by a good quality mask? FFP2 or (better) FFP3 disposable masks are probably about as good as you will get and are cheap.

Herainestold
Dorkwood
Posts: 1159
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Post by Herainestold » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:31 pm

Trinucleus wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:18 pm
A dilemma.

We've got a theatre trip booked the week before hopefully go to Crete, in mid September

To avoid testing positive before the holiday, safest option is obviously not to go to the theatre. But assuing we're feeling lucky would a good quality face mask be worth buying? A disposable one is our normal face covering of choice. A friend has given us some face visors but they presumably don't do much to stop you breathing in nasties?
The best one is a properly fitting FFP3 or N99 mask. I have never worn one for more than a few minutes, but they tend to feel hot and sticky. Medical personelle wear them for extended periods so I think it is just a matter of getting used to it. After that I would suggest a new medical/surgical procedure mask underneath a well fitting cloth mask. The cloth mask serves to seal the medical mask against your face.

I think the visor mainly protects your eyes and is not that useful without a proper face mask un derneath.
Delta changes everything.

WFJ
Sindis Poop
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:54 am

Re: Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Post by WFJ » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:36 pm

Herainestold wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:31 pm
The best one is a properly fitting FFP3 or N99 mask. I have never worn one for more than a few minutes, but they tend to feel hot and sticky. Medical personelle wear them for extended periods so I think it is just a matter of getting used to it. After that I would suggest a new medical/surgical procedure mask underneath a well fitting cloth mask. The cloth mask serves to seal the medical mask against your face.
I've never worn an FFP3 mask, but FFP2 masks are much more comfortable to wear for extended periods than surgical masks and offer much better protection.

User avatar
Woodchopper
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3670
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:05 am

Re: Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Post by Woodchopper » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:50 pm

I just redacted an ableist slur in an earlier post which broke Forum Rule 3. People, please don’t use language like that.

User avatar
Trinucleus
Fuzzable
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:45 pm

Re: Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Post by Trinucleus » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:56 pm

WFJ wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:36 pm
Herainestold wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:31 pm
The best one is a properly fitting FFP3 or N99 mask. I have never worn one for more than a few minutes, but they tend to feel hot and sticky. Medical personelle wear them for extended periods so I think it is just a matter of getting used to it. After that I would suggest a new medical/surgical procedure mask underneath a well fitting cloth mask. The cloth mask serves to seal the medical mask against your face.
I've never worn an FFP3 mask, but FFP2 masks are much more comfortable to wear for extended periods than surgical masks and offer much better protection.
Thanks all, that's helpful. We were supposed to be going to a show in a couple of weeks and that's just been put back to October, so every chance someone will make the decision to cancel for us

User avatar
jimbob
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2719
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Location: High Peak/Manchester

Re: Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Post by jimbob » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:06 pm

gosling wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:32 am
Got the bus to the hospital and back this morning. Looked like the normal ratio of masked to unmasked people. Was on the tube last Sunday afternoon - it was full of pissed up, unmasked, young lads chanting football songs. Hoping that rush hour will be a little more civilized, but don't think my company is in any rush to send us back to the office.
I just went in work today - we're sorting out our desks for permanent hot desking and mix of WFH and office (2:3 but which way round isn't decided yet).

The management have decided - after a survey of everyone's views to keep up with the same Covid protocols as before. And we came in in small groups so in the office of about 100 there were about 5 of us today.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

User avatar
lpm
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3263
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:05 pm

Re: Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Post by lpm » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:14 pm

That's mad. Didn't anyone look at case numbers? I cancelled the team meeting planned for tomorrow, first physical meeting for 16 months, as obviously WFH is essential right now.
What ever happened to that Trump guy, you know, the one who was president for a bit?

User avatar
jimbob
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2719
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Location: High Peak/Manchester

Re: Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Post by jimbob » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:45 pm

lpm wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:14 pm
That's mad. Didn't anyone look at case numbers? I cancelled the team meeting planned for tomorrow, first physical meeting for 16 months, as obviously WFH is essential right now.
We're clearing the desks so they can arrange for mixed working sometime in September if all goes well. We are a manufacturing site, so many people have been working onsite during the pandemic, and I went in a couple of times to the labs. I know fever isn't such a good indicator now, but with an FFP3 mask all the time, everyone else wearing masks, there being a thermal camera to let people in and only a handful of people, I thought it OK having been fully vaccinated.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

User avatar
gosling
Sindis Poop
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:12 am

Re: Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Post by gosling » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:08 pm

Just been watching the live stream for a big poker tournament in London. They're playing at the Vic casino, so no windows but some aircon, 10 people at each table (including the dealer), looks like tables are as close together as normal, i.e. enough of a gap for one person to walk through. On the feature table, one guy (Colin Wu) wearing a mask, everyone else not. Very glad I can't afford the buy in for this one :roll:

User avatar
Trinucleus
Fuzzable
Posts: 368
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:45 pm

Re: Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Post by Trinucleus » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:18 am

gosling wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:08 pm
Just been watching the live stream for a big poker tournament in London. They're playing at the Vic casino, so no windows but some aircon, 10 people at each table (including the dealer), looks like tables are as close together as normal, i.e. enough of a gap for one person to walk through. On the feature table, one guy (Colin Wu) wearing a mask, everyone else not. Very glad I can't afford the buy in for this one :roll:
A mask would help your poker face?

User avatar
Tessa K
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2604
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:07 pm
Location: Closer than you'd like

Re: Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Post by Tessa K » Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:23 am

Trinucleus wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:18 am
gosling wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:08 pm
Just been watching the live stream for a big poker tournament in London. They're playing at the Vic casino, so no windows but some aircon, 10 people at each table (including the dealer), looks like tables are as close together as normal, i.e. enough of a gap for one person to walk through. On the feature table, one guy (Colin Wu) wearing a mask, everyone else not. Very glad I can't afford the buy in for this one :roll:
A mask would help your poker face?
It would be really interesting to see how poker players got on if they were all wearing full face masks so no one could read anyone's expressions. Science experiment, anyone?

User avatar
gosling
Sindis Poop
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:12 am

Re: Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Post by gosling » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:08 pm

yeah, I don't know why more of them aren't wearing a mask for that reason ... though, to be honest, it's more about how people bet rather than body language (apparently)

User avatar
gosling
Sindis Poop
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:12 am

Re: Summer Solstice Unlockdown

Post by gosling » Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:10 pm

Tessa K wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:23 am
Trinucleus wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:18 am
gosling wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:08 pm
Just been watching the live stream for a big poker tournament in London. They're playing at the Vic casino, so no windows but some aircon, 10 people at each table (including the dealer), looks like tables are as close together as normal, i.e. enough of a gap for one person to walk through. On the feature table, one guy (Colin Wu) wearing a mask, everyone else not. Very glad I can't afford the buy in for this one :roll:
A mask would help your poker face?
It would be really interesting to see how poker players got on if they were all wearing full face masks so no one could read anyone's expressions. Science experiment, anyone?
Similar to playing online I guess. Now I'm off to google if there's been any studies on if there are differences in results for online or live poker. I know people definitely have their preferences for one or the other.

Post Reply