Vaccine rollout in France

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
shpalman
Princess POW

Vaccine rollout in France

Post by shpalman » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:57 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:39 pm
France (sorry if this is a derail, but I guess we probably don't want 195 threads on national rollouts) is only just starting to vaccinate, but I'm optimistic that once they get going they will be able to handle the scaling-up well. As of a couple of years ago you can get a flu vaccine in a pharmacy in France if you are in the risk category (typically over 60), and without the need for a prescription. French pharmacists are highly trained(*) and had been calling for that for ages. I don't know if the mRNA viruses are suitable for administration this way, but the AZ one probably is.

Also, the pharmacy network is extensive and in rural areas is considered an essential part of community cohesion. There was an incident near us a few years back where the mayor of a small town refused to open the mairie so people could vote on election day because the town had been turned down for a subsidy to keep the pharmacy open.

(*) Almost everyone in healthcare in France, including people like physiotherapists, starts in 1st year medical school; you then get weeded out along the way, and the higher the level you pass at, the more choice you get of what you want to do; many dentists are failed doctors, like Oxbridge rejects ending up at Durham.
France approves AstraZeneca vaccine for over-65s with pre-existing conditions
French Health Minister Olivier Véran said people with pre-existing conditions - such as high blood pressure or diabetes - could get the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine from GP surgeries, hospitals and "within days" from pharmacies.

The policy would apply to those over 50, including those aged 65 to 75, he said.

Those aged over 75 will still be offered either Pfizer or Moderna jabs in a vaccination centre, he added.
In terms of cumulative COVID-19 vaccination doses administered per 100 people France is similar to Italy and not far off the EU average.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

tom p
After Pie

Re: Vaccine rollout in France

Post by tom p » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:00 pm

I thought this was going to be one of those '404 - rollout not found' jokes similar to the ones that historically illiterate merkins did around the time of the US invasion of Iraq ~2003

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:13 pm

Did you mean "Did you mean: French military defeats"?
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:23 am

shpalman wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:13 pm
Did you mean "Did you mean: French military defeats"?
There was that one & the 404 not found page joke.
Oh, those hilarious murderous ignorant yankee scumbags

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:45 pm

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:52 pm

shpalman wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:45 pm
In an interesting inversion, France is now recommending AstraZeneca only for over-55's.
Shows the danger of letting politicians get involved with things, you end up with ridiculous situations like this

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:25 pm

tom p wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:52 pm
shpalman wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:45 pm
In an interesting inversion, France is now recommending AstraZeneca only for over-55's.
Shows the danger of letting politicians get involved with things, you end up with ridiculous situations like this
If there's no reason not to give AstraZeneca to older* people then there's no particular reason to deviate from an age-based rollout, and it will be a while before France (or any EU country) gets to the 50-59 age range.

(These adverse reactions were seen in subjects being given priority in the rollout because of their jobs, not their ages.)

* - up to 75 anyway:
shpalman wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:57 am
France approves AstraZeneca vaccine for over-65s with pre-existing conditions
French Health Minister Olivier Véran said people with pre-existing conditions - such as high blood pressure or diabetes - could get the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine from GP surgeries, hospitals and "within days" from pharmacies.

The policy would apply to those over 50, including those aged 65 to 75, he said.

Those aged over 75 will still be offered either Pfizer or Moderna jabs in a vaccination centre, he added.
In terms of cumulative COVID-19 vaccination doses administered per 100 people France is similar to Italy and not far off the EU average.
^^ that's still the case
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

badger
Fuzzable

Post by badger » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:54 pm

shpalman wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:25 pm
^^ that's still the case
Though perhaps with a more vaccine-shy population than before?

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:30 pm

@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:43 pm

Just think how popular it would be if the manufacturers had released a suppository version. Or called it a homeopathic vaccine. Get Boiron to put stickers on it & France would reach close to 100% coverage in no time

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:51 am

France rolls out booster doses to over-65s and vulnerable people
People who had their second Pfizer or Moderna jab at least six months ago can get a booster, while those who had the single-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine can get a booster shot of Pfizer or Moderna at least four weeks after they got vaccinated.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk