Covid Little Pill

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
headshot
Dorkwood

Covid Little Pill

Post by headshot » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:17 pm

Today the PM said that the UK will develop drugs to treat Covid at home “by the autumn”.

Basically a promise of a silver bullet medication to “stop Covid in its tracks”.

So how plausible is this? Is it just a pipe dream promise that he’s put out there two weeks before an election??

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... its-tracks

OffTheRock
Fuzzable

Re: Covid Little Pill

Post by OffTheRock » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:41 pm

I don’t think they mean developing. More like what they did with the Dex & tocilizumab.

Can they find an existing antiviral that works? Possibly.
Can we do it by autumn? Bit of a stretch, given the world’s probably been looking for a year.

I’m guessing by now we have a list of stuff we know doesn’t work that should help narrow it down.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:54 pm

OffTheRock wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:41 pm
I don’t think they mean developing. More like what they did with the Dex & tocilizumab.

Can we do it by autumn? Bit of a stretch, given the world’s probably been looking for a year.

I’m guessing by now we have a list of stuff we know doesn’t work that should help narrow it down.
But they’re talking about medication that can be taken outside of a medical setting, specifically to treat oneself at home.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:07 pm

I really hoped this would be about an Alanis Morissette #scicomm effort.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:20 pm

headshot wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:54 pm
OffTheRock wrote:

But they’re talking about medication that can be taken outside of a medical setting, specifically to treat oneself at home.
I thought so too, which is why most of what the Guardian mentions probably isn't applicable, e.g. the first two anti-inflammatories on that list, which are indicated for damage-limitation towards later stages of illness severe enough to put you in hospital. (Taking such things at home when you're still in mild stages probably makes things worse.)
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

wilsontown
Clardic Fug

Post by wilsontown » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:30 pm

Yes, if only someone had thought of this before.

Going to be difficult to say much until we have some idea of how this announcement is supposed to relate to reality. I won't be holding my breath.
"All models are wrong but some are useful" - George Box

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:15 am

headshot wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:17 pm
Today the PM said that the UK will develop drugs to treat Covid at home “by the autumn”.

Basically a promise of a silver bullet medication to “stop Covid in its tracks”.

So how plausible is this? Is it just a pipe dream promise that he’s put out there two weeks before an election??

350 million pills a week to save the NHS?
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

OffTheRock
Fuzzable

Post by OffTheRock » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:40 am

headshot wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:54 pm
OffTheRock wrote:

Plenty of existing antivirals in tablet form. From memory they ruled out oseltamivir last year, remdesivir looks like it’s probably no good, ritonavir/lopinavir got ruled out by the Recovery trial recently. I think there are a few being trialled at the moment. Favipirivir is about to start being used as part of Principle and something in the us is showing some early promise.

The problem is the press release. They were so busy showboating about the dexamethasone/tocilizumab it confused everyone. Those were successes of the existing therapeutics task force. What they are doing is setting up an antiviral task force that will work in the same way but with a focus on existing anti viral tablets.

Probably doesn’t need a separate task force, but I assume there’s a friend of Hancocks’s who needs a ridiculous amount of money to head up a task force.

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:03 am

headshot wrote:

As if you even needed to ask.
It's a statement from noted liar & fantasist Boris Johnson, a man who will say absolutely anything to win an election, regardless of the post-election consequences. And it will work because the British public are a bunch of f.cking morons who still think his braying b.llsh.t & illiterate alliteration is clever & funny and that his racism is either a great thing or just a jolly jape that can be overlooked because of his hilarious hair.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:06 am

tom p wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:03 am
headshot wrote:

It's a statement from noted liar & fantasist Boris Johnson, a man who will say absolutely anything to win an election, regardless of the post-election consequences. And it will work because the British public are a bunch of f.cking morons who still think his braying b.llsh.t & illiterate alliteration is clever & funny and that his racism is either a great thing or just a jolly jape that can be overlooked because of his hilarious hair.
Did you take control of my brain and make me say this EXACT THING to my wife yesterday?

tom p
After Pie

Post by tom p » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:09 am

headshot wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:06 am
tom p wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:03 am
headshot wrote:

Did you take control of my brain and make me say this EXACT THING to my wife yesterday?
Sorry about that. I was testing out my new mind-control ray and it seems to have misfired.

OffTheRock
Fuzzable

Post by OffTheRock » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:42 pm

It does bear all the hallmarks of something they scribbled down on the pack of a fag packet in 5mins because they needed something to say in the press conference. Which was why nobody could answer any questions on it.

Why does the antiviral task force need to be a separate task force to the therapeutics task force anyway?

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:28 pm

This is basically just the bridge to Ireland, isn't it? Boris is just saying "Wouldn't it be marvellous if you could just take a pill and get better?", as if most of the major pharmaceutical companies in the world haven't had a bunch of people working on little else since Covid appeared, or for that matter since HIV appeared. When there is no such pill available in 6 months, is he going to blame the world's boffins™ for not working hard enough?
Something something hammer something something nail

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:55 pm

There is a definite belief among many members of this government that if you want something, you just have to tell someone to do. If they don't do it, you just have to shout at them louder. You would think that Johnson's track record of failing to achieve a single damn thing he boasts about would have taught him that this doesn't work.

TimW
Catbabel

Post by TimW » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:18 am

Sciolus wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:55 pm
There is a definite belief among many members of this government that if you want something, you just have to
...give a huge contract to a Tory mate.