Raoult goes full Trump

Covid-19 discussion, bring your own statistics
Post Reply
User avatar
sTeamTraen
After Pie
Posts: 1847
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm
Location: Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Raoult goes full Trump

Post by sTeamTraen » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:35 pm

Didier Raoult's IHU Marseille research hospital, which is mostly publicly funded and employs 800 staff, is suing Elisabeth Bik (who finds problems in scientific papers, notably duplicated and manipulated images) and Boris Barbour, founder of PubPeer (a site where people can comment anonymously on published papers).

The announcement was made by Eric Chabrière, a manager at IHU who is Raoult's attack dog on social media. In his first tweet he included the home address of Bik and the office address of Barbour; the first of those, especially, is a major no-no, not only in terms of Interne etiquette but also French privacy laws.

Bik has revealed (and Barbour's site, PubPeer, has hosted) many examples of problems in past papers with Raoult as one of the authors. But the lawsuit does not allege defamation; it alleges bullying, attempted blackmail, and attempted extortion.

There is not enough popcorn in all the world to go round here. IHU, which brought you the Covid quack remedies chloroquine and then (quick reverse ferret) hydroxychloroquine, is coming under increasing scrutiny from the French scientific, political, and legal establishment (cf a recent documentary by the French channel RMC revealing some of what goes on there), and this is an absurd attempt to silence their critics with the threat of legal action.
Something something hammer something something nail

User avatar
jimbob
After Pie
Posts: 2469
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Location: High Peak/Manchester

Re: Raoult goes full Trump

Post by jimbob » Sat May 01, 2021 6:46 am

When I looked at his wiki page earlier on in 2020, Raoult has had a career of dodginess. He never should have had public funds given his history.

Still, he was indirectly responsible for the most sarcastic "published" paper I have ever seen, about HCQ and push scooters.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

User avatar
basementer
Catbabel
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm
Location: Aotearoa
Contact:

Re: Raoult goes full Trump

Post by basementer » Sat May 01, 2021 7:31 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:35 pm
Didier Raoult's IHU Marseille research hospital, which is mostly publicly funded and employs 800 staff, is suing Elisabeth Bik (who finds problems in scientific papers, notably duplicated and manipulated images) and Boris Barbour, founder of PubPeer (a site where people can comment anonymously on published papers).

The announcement was made by Eric Chabrière, a manager at IHU who is Raoult's attack dog on social media. In his first tweet he included the home address of Bik and the office address of Barbour; the first of those, especially, is a major no-no, not only in terms of Interne etiquette but also French privacy laws.

Bik has revealed (and Barbour's site, PubPeer, has hosted) many examples of problems in past papers with Raoult as one of the authors. But the lawsuit does not allege defamation; it alleges bullying, attempted blackmail, and attempted extortion.

There is not enough popcorn in all the world to go round here. IHU, which brought you the Covid quack remedies chloroquine and then (quick reverse ferret) hydroxychloroquine, is coming under increasing scrutiny from the French scientific, political, and legal establishment (cf a recent documentary by the French channel RMC revealing some of what goes on there), and this is an absurd attempt to silence their critics with the threat of legal action.
Bik has been really, really good at picking out faked images. Happy to send a few € to her defence fund if you spot it.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

tom p
Catbabel
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:14 pm
Location: the low countries

Re: Raoult goes full Trump

Post by tom p » Sat May 01, 2021 9:13 am

basementer wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:31 am
sTeamTraen wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:35 pm
Didier Raoult's IHU Marseille research hospital, which is mostly publicly funded and employs 800 staff, is suing Elisabeth Bik (who finds problems in scientific papers, notably duplicated and manipulated images) and Boris Barbour, founder of PubPeer (a site where people can comment anonymously on published papers).

The announcement was made by Eric Chabrière, a manager at IHU who is Raoult's attack dog on social media. In his first tweet he included the home address of Bik and the office address of Barbour; the first of those, especially, is a major no-no, not only in terms of Interne etiquette but also French privacy laws.

Bik has revealed (and Barbour's site, PubPeer, has hosted) many examples of problems in past papers with Raoult as one of the authors. But the lawsuit does not allege defamation; it alleges bullying, attempted blackmail, and attempted extortion.

There is not enough popcorn in all the world to go round here. IHU, which brought you the Covid quack remedies chloroquine and then (quick reverse ferret) hydroxychloroquine, is coming under increasing scrutiny from the French scientific, political, and legal establishment (cf a recent documentary by the French channel RMC revealing some of what goes on there), and this is an absurd attempt to silence their critics with the threat of legal action.
Bik has been really, really good at picking out faked images. Happy to send a few € to her defence fund if you spot it.
Ditto

User avatar
sTeamTraen
After Pie
Posts: 1847
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm
Location: Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Re: Raoult goes full Trump

Post by sTeamTraen » Sat May 01, 2021 1:34 pm

tom p wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 9:13 am
basementer wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:31 am
Bik has been really, really good at picking out faked images. Happy to send a few € to her defence fund if you spot it.
Ditto
She has a Patreon, but that's per-month, and I feel it would look a bit weird to give £20 "per month" and then immediately cancel the renewal.

Plus, I just learned that Patreon is considered a service, at least by the EU, and so 21% VAT would be charged on any money going this way. I will ask her if she has a PayPal.
Something something hammer something something nail

User avatar
basementer
Catbabel
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm
Location: Aotearoa
Contact:

Re: Raoult goes full Trump

Post by basementer » Sun May 02, 2021 8:32 am

sTeamTraen wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:34 pm
tom p wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 9:13 am
basementer wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:31 am
Bik has been really, really good at picking out faked images. Happy to send a few € to her defence fund if you spot it.
Ditto
She has a Patreon, but that's per-month, and I feel it would look a bit weird to give £20 "per month" and then immediately cancel the renewal.

Plus, I just learned that Patreon is considered a service, at least by the EU, and so 21% VAT would be charged on any money going this way. I will ask her if she has a PayPal.
Thanks. Keep us posted.
Money is just a substitute for luck anyway. - Tom Siddell

User avatar
jimbob
After Pie
Posts: 2469
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:04 pm
Location: High Peak/Manchester

Re: Raoult goes full Trump

Post by jimbob » Sun May 02, 2021 5:19 pm

She wants support in reporting doxxers.

https://twitter.com/MicrobiomDigest/sta ... 93730?s=20
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Post Reply