Happy Birthday, Temporary covid subforum!

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
sTeamTraen
After Pie

Happy Birthday, Temporary covid subforum!

Post by sTeamTraen » Fri May 14, 2021 7:58 am

Has it really been a year already? Doesn't time fly when you're having fun?

Normally one wishes "many happy returns" at a moment like this, but I'd quite like this subforum to be a shadow of its former self soon, due to lack of interest, because the problem will have gone away.

Is it too much to expect that by this time next year we will be back to a single Covid thread?
Something something hammer something something nail

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Re: Happy Birthday, Temporary covid subforum!

Post by Woodchopper » Fri May 14, 2021 9:16 am

Probably too optimistic.

There's new variants, new vaccines to deal with them, parts of the developing world probably won't be vaccinated at all in a year, long covid and how to treat it ...

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri May 14, 2021 11:58 am

Woodchopper wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 9:16 am
Probably too optimistic.

There's new variants, new vaccines to deal with them, parts of the developing world probably won't be vaccinated at all in a year, long covid and how to treat it ...
And those who'll claim, whenever it dies down in their privileged corner of the first world, that it wasn't a big deal after all.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Millennie Al
After Pie

Post by Millennie Al » Sat May 15, 2021 2:41 am

shpalman wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:58 am
And those who'll claim, whenever it dies down in their privileged corner of the first world, that it wasn't a big deal after all.
It's not as big a deal as some of the plagues of history. Although the number killed might eventually exceed the numbers for past plagues, most of that is due to the difference in the world's population. We should prepare for a future infection which is a much bigger deal - it will come eventually.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sat May 15, 2021 6:50 am

Millennie Al wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 2:41 am
shpalman wrote:
It's not as big a deal as some of the plagues of history. Although the number killed might eventually exceed the numbers for past plagues, most of that is due to the difference in the world's population. We should prepare for a future infection which is a much bigger deal - it will come eventually.
Similar mortality to the Black Death seems to be a pretty high threshold for something being ‘a big deal’.

But yes, the next pandemic could be much worse. Or maybe the next phase of this one if variants evolve significant immune escape.

lpm
Junior Mod

Post by lpm » Sat May 15, 2021 7:08 am

Meh. We've got far better treatments as well as tweakable vaccines. I'm not scared of Covid-19 which is, let's face it, predominantly a harvester of the elderly.

What I'm scared of is a pandemic that kills children and the young.
⭐ Awarded gold star 4 November 2021

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat May 15, 2021 8:05 am

Millennie Al wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 2:41 am
shpalman wrote:
If it had "only" killed that many under normal circumstances rather than killing that many despite shutting down most of the economy and activity of major parts of the world then yeah it would have been a bit less of a big deal.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Stephanie
Stummy Beige

Post by Stephanie » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:54 pm

Wow I missed this. What a day that was for me eh
"I got a flu virus named after me 'cause I kissed a bat on a dare."

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:50 pm

I've gotta say I'm glad we made that special section. It's nice to be able to browse something online without it all being pandemic related.

Can't quite bring myself to celebrate with a cake though ;)
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.