Parosmia - things smelling different

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
IvanV
Stummy Beige

Parosmia - things smelling different

Post by IvanV » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:21 am

Parosmia is the symptom of things smelling odd, typically rather unpleasant. Anosmia, loss of smell, is well-known as a common Covid and long Covid symptom. But apparently, I have just learned, so is parosmia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parosmia

Can it be selective? I ask because there is precisely one thing that has consistently smelled very odd to me for the last 6 months or so. We've had tests done on it, but they can't find anything. So I'm wondering whether it might be my odour perception. I have a variety of other more common long Covid symtoms. But my enjoyment of food and wine has not been affected.

I have previously had selective changes of odour perception in a different situation. In particular, at high altitude (3000m-4000m, livable high altitude), some foodstuffs smell odd to me. The last time I went on a high altitude trek, I became convinced the cooking oil had gone rancid, because all food cooked in it had this rancid taste to me. But it smelled perfectly normal when we came back to a lower altitude. Similarly, various foods smelled bad when I spent 3 months cycling and trekking at high altitude in Bolivia and Peru, especially tinned fish which I'm normally very happy to eat. But I suspected this was around appetite suppression which is a common altitude symptom.

Martin_B
After Pie

Re: Parosmia - things smelling different

Post by Martin_B » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:48 am

I know that my sense of smell is slightly screwed. I can't smell some of the more delicate floral scents; there is a perfume which some women wear which smells to me like sh.t (literally, it smells like they've shat themselves). I presume that this isn't the actual perfume scent, as it'd be decidedly niche.
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:20 am

Martin_B wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:48 am
I know that my sense of smell is slightly screwed. I can't smell some of the more delicate floral scents; there is a perfume which some women wear which smells to me like sh.t (literally, it smells like they've shat themselves). I presume that this isn't the actual perfume scent, as it'd be decidedly niche.
Could most likely be "indolic" jasmine.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

nezumi
Dorkwood

Post by nezumi » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:36 am

I distinctly recall a period in my life - I was about 8 and it lasted about 6 months where literally EVERYTHING smelled like salami. I'm sure it was just an early manifestation of my allergies but it was awful. I didn't eat salami for years.
Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

individualmember
Catbabel

Post by individualmember » Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:41 am

I had that a while back. Turned out to be due to a cyst in my sinus. Took bl..dy ages (like several weeks) to get a diagnosis but was quickly dealt with once it was identified.

IvanV
Stummy Beige

Post by IvanV » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:13 pm

After more than 6 months, I've finally tracked down the source of the funny smell. So I now know it was something smelling funny, not parosmia.

My difficulty in working it out was that the thing I thought smelled funny actually didn't, it was something else. But I got fixed with the idea that the smell came from where I thought it did the first time. After some months, I noticed a "second" funny smell, but I was still fruitlessly looking for a cause for the "first" smell. It took me more months to wake up to other possibilities, and then it was relatively easily pinned down.

It's kind of a parable for how people can get stuck with wrong perceptions, or can carry on making the same mistake despite the evidence of an unsatisfactory outcome. I feel a bit embarrassed it took me over 6 months to work this out.