Gigs in covid times

Covid-19 discussion, bring your own statistics
Herainestold
After Pie
Posts: 1821
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: Gigs in covid times

Post by Herainestold » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:04 am

shpalman wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:30 pm
A brief clip from last night, a normal Saturday night at the Spirit di Milan.
Potential super spreader event. Shouldn't be allowed.

I hope you don't get sick.
Masking forever
Putin is a monster, Russian people are not.

User avatar
shpalman
Princess POW
Posts: 7177
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Gigs in covid times

Post by shpalman » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:10 am

Herainestold wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:04 am
shpalman wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:30 pm
A brief clip from last night, a normal Saturday night at the Spirit di Milan.
Potential super spreader event. Shouldn't be allowed.

I hope you don't get sick.
Is allowed. That's what Green Passes are for. There would be two alternatives at this point: stay locked in our homes for a few months until we reach zero covid, shooting anyone who arrives from Eastern Europe or the UK on sight, or just cancel anything vaguely entertaining which involves any kind of social interaction.

Personally, it's nearly six months since my second AZ jab but it's not obvious if third jabs will be offered to my age group before Christmas, so catching covid sooner rather than later would be better.

Sooner, while I still have some protection from the vaccine and the winter wave hasn't got so high that there wouldn't be capacity to look after me in the health system in the rare case that I would need it (I had my regular work-related health checkup the other day and my values were "perfect") rather than later when the wave is at its height, the vaccine has worn off, and I'm a statistic which pushes the region into a level where restrictions, including the closure of discos and dance halls, will come into force. (Some regions are at risk of this, but not Lombardy right now.)

As I've said before, it's a bit weird to me (but I get it) why when someone is feeling sh.t with nasty but not serious symptoms and then take a covid test people hope for them that's it's going to be negative.
molto tricky

User avatar
Grumble
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3399
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Re: Gigs in covid times

Post by Grumble » Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:33 pm

Went out to a talk by Tim Peake on Saturday. Not that many in the theatre were wearing masks, probably about 30-40%. Talk was great though, first event like that we’ve been to since the pandemic started.
A bit churlish

User avatar
discovolante
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3415
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: Gigs in covid times

Post by discovolante » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:22 pm

shpalman wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:10 am
Herainestold wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:04 am
shpalman wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:30 pm
A brief clip from last night, a normal Saturday night at the Spirit di Milan.
Potential super spreader event. Shouldn't be allowed.

I hope you don't get sick.
Is allowed. That's what Green Passes are for. There would be two alternatives at this point: stay locked in our homes for a few months until we reach zero covid, shooting anyone who arrives from Eastern Europe or the UK on sight, or just cancel anything vaguely entertaining which involves any kind of social interaction.

Personally, it's nearly six months since my second AZ jab but it's not obvious if third jabs will be offered to my age group before Christmas, so catching covid sooner rather than later would be better.

Sooner, while I still have some protection from the vaccine and the winter wave hasn't got so high that there wouldn't be capacity to look after me in the health system in the rare case that I would need it (I had my regular work-related health checkup the other day and my values were "perfect") rather than later when the wave is at its height, the vaccine has worn off, and I'm a statistic which pushes the region into a level where restrictions, including the closure of discos and dance halls, will come into force. (Some regions are at risk of this, but not Lombardy right now.)

As I've said before, it's a bit weird to me (but I get it) why when someone is feeling sh.t with nasty but not serious symptoms and then take a covid test people hope for them that's it's going to be negative.
I got a bad cold nearly a month ago, horrible sore throat, constant cough (especially at night), no energy, wasn't sleeping. I'm *almost* better now (famous last words, fully expect I've caught something else in the meantime). Still a bit of a sore throat, slight cough and energy levels not quite back to normal, slept 11 1/2 hours on Saturday night. Anyway it's been rough. But I was pleasantly surprised that nobody said to me 'I'm glad it's not covid' because if they had I probably would have punched them. This is a non-newsworthy post sorry.
I'M HEATING STREAKY BACON IN A TROUSER PRESS

User avatar
Gfamily
Stummy Beige
Posts: 4092
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm
Location: NW England

Re: Gigs in covid times

Post by Gfamily » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:53 pm

We're off to see Rutherford and Fry at The Lowry this evening.
I gather the timing has been put back a bit so as not to clash with a recording of ISIHAC in the larger auditorium.
It'll be masks on, and we'll LFT before setting out.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

Herainestold
After Pie
Posts: 1821
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: Gigs in covid times

Post by Herainestold » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:08 pm

shpalman wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:10 am
Herainestold wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:04 am
shpalman wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:30 pm
A brief clip from last night, a normal Saturday night at the Spirit di Milan.
Potential super spreader event. Shouldn't be allowed.

I hope you don't get sick.
Is allowed. That's what Green Passes are for. There would be two alternatives at this point: stay locked in our homes for a few months until we reach zero covid, shooting anyone who arrives from Eastern Europe or the UK on sight, or just cancel anything vaguely entertaining which involves any kind of social interaction.

Personally, it's nearly six months since my second AZ jab but it's not obvious if third jabs will be offered to my age group before Christmas, so catching covid sooner rather than later would be better.

Sooner, while I still have some protection from the vaccine and the winter wave hasn't got so high that there wouldn't be capacity to look after me in the health system in the rare case that I would need it (I had my regular work-related health checkup the other day and my values were "perfect") rather than later when the wave is at its height, the vaccine has worn off, and I'm a statistic which pushes the region into a level where restrictions, including the closure of discos and dance halls, will come into force. (Some regions are at risk of this, but not Lombardy right now.)

As I've said before, it's a bit weird to me (but I get it) why when someone is feeling sh.t with nasty but not serious symptoms and then take a covid test people hope for them that's it's going to be negative.
Its obviously your choice, but I think you should avoid those kind of events until you have had your booster.

And I do hope you don't get sick because it could turn into a severe outcome and if it doesn't you could infect someone who would have a severe outcome.

It is reasonable to have some restrictions short of actual lockdown, I think exuberant dancing is something that could be postponed until better times.
Masking forever
Putin is a monster, Russian people are not.

User avatar
Gfamily
Stummy Beige
Posts: 4092
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:00 pm
Location: NW England

Re: Gigs in covid times

Post by Gfamily » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:44 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:53 pm
We're off to see Rutherford and Fry at The Lowry this evening.
I gather the timing has been put back a bit so as not to clash with a recording of ISIHAC in the larger auditorium.
It'll be masks on, and we'll LFT before setting out.
Interesting that the ISIHAC audience were required to show their NHS Covid Vaccine Passes before being allowed in, whereas we didn't.
About 85-90% were wearing masks, and all the volunteers who went up on stage were given masks before being allowed up.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

User avatar
Opti
Dorkwood
Posts: 1201
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:21 pm
Location: On the beach

Re: Gigs in covid times

Post by Opti » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:07 pm

Whizzed back to that London for a mates concert at Union Chapel, Islington this weekend.
The show was amazing.
We were all asked to show vaccine status and masks were expected to be worn. Were they f.ck. Maybe 30% masked. Out on the streets of London masking was very much a minority pastime. I'd forgotten just how grimy central London is. Shops, trains, buses - even the f.cking airports ... about 10% masked.

No wonder UK rates are so high. I was appalled and nervous in equal measure.

Still, great gig and a chance to catch up with a few old friends.
Time for a big fat one.

User avatar
discovolante
Stummy Beige
Posts: 3415
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: Gigs in covid times

Post by discovolante » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:37 pm

Opti wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:07 pm
Whizzed back to that London for a mates concert at Union Chapel, Islington this weekend.
The show was amazing.
We were all asked to show vaccine status and masks were expected to be worn. Were they f.ck. Maybe 30% masked. Out on the streets of London masking was very much a minority pastime. I'd forgotten just how grimy central London is. Shops, trains, buses - even the f.cking airports ... about 10% masked.

No wonder UK rates are so high. I was appalled and nervous in equal measure.

Still, great gig and a chance to catch up with a few old friends.
Heh, I went back to London a few weeks ago and had a similar 'holy f.ck this place is filthy!' feeling. And I picked up the cold from hell that ultimately kept me ill for the best part of a month, because I kept getting better then picking something else up.

I'm going again this weekend :? But will be nearly 2 weeks post booster so fingers crossed.
I'M HEATING STREAKY BACON IN A TROUSER PRESS

bagpuss
Dorkwood
Posts: 1345
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:10 pm

Re: Gigs in covid times

Post by bagpuss » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:15 pm

discovolante wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:37 pm
Opti wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:07 pm
Whizzed back to that London for a mates concert at Union Chapel, Islington this weekend.
The show was amazing.
We were all asked to show vaccine status and masks were expected to be worn. Were they f.ck. Maybe 30% masked. Out on the streets of London masking was very much a minority pastime. I'd forgotten just how grimy central London is. Shops, trains, buses - even the f.cking airports ... about 10% masked.

No wonder UK rates are so high. I was appalled and nervous in equal measure.

Still, great gig and a chance to catch up with a few old friends.
Heh, I went back to London a few weeks ago and had a similar 'holy f.ck this place is filthy!' feeling. And I picked up the cold from hell that ultimately kept me ill for the best part of a month, because I kept getting better then picking something else up.

I'm going again this weekend :? But will be nearly 2 weeks post booster so fingers crossed.
I've not been to London since early last year and am only going in a couple of weeks as it's my work Christmas party which, while being in a crowded place is at least predominantly outdoors. I'm not really looking forward to it but I've wangled my way out of every work gathering over the last 2 years, and it's starting to look a bit obvious, so I thought since this one is at least mostly outside, I'd go and look vaguely willing. I have, however, heard how bad mask wearing and general compliance is there. Mask-wearing on trains into London from where I live is apparently down to 50% or so on a good day now, too - presumably the London influence spreading out. I will very much be part of that roughly 50% when I go in for the Christmas do. And fortunately, for me too, it will be nearly 2 weeks post booster.

We're going to the local theatre this Friday. Some form of evidence of COVID "immunity" is required for all adults and we will be asked to declare that the bagkitten has no symptoms. They "strongly recommend" the wearing of masks but I'm not very optimistic about how many will comply with that. We will be wearing masks and we'll also all do an LFT that day, as there are quite a few cases at the bagkitten's school and since she's of an age to have a fairly high chance of being infected/ious but asymptomatic, having no symptoms doesn't really tell anyone very much about how infectious she might be.

Hunting Dog
Fuzzable
Posts: 243
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:48 pm

Re: Gigs in covid times

Post by Hunting Dog » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:56 pm

Friend (probably soon to be ex friend) has decided to rent a large hall for a mass combined party for her 60th and sprogs 21st mid December. I've declined to go.

bagpuss
Dorkwood
Posts: 1345
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:10 pm

Re: Gigs in covid times

Post by bagpuss » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:25 am

bagpuss wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:15 pm
We're going to the local theatre this Friday. Some form of evidence of COVID "immunity" is required for all adults and we will be asked to declare that the bagkitten has no symptoms. They "strongly recommend" the wearing of masks but I'm not very optimistic about how many will comply with that. We will be wearing masks and we'll also all do an LFT that day, as there are quite a few cases at the bagkitten's school and since she's of an age to have a fairly high chance of being infected/ious but asymptomatic, having no symptoms doesn't really tell anyone very much about how infectious she might be.
LFTs were negative all round, and we were all well, so we went. Our Covid passes/vax card + id were checked, very carefully, as we entered the theatre. Mask wearing was a long way off 100% but better than I expected - best guess would be around 60-70% at the start down to more like 50% by the end as a bit of mask fatigue obviously set in.

ETA: And the outdoor event (Christmas market plus winter light display) we had booked for Saturday was cancelled for a reason other than Covid*, which made a change.


*high winds - fair enough for a National Trust place with a lot of trees

User avatar
shpalman
Princess POW
Posts: 7177
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Gigs in covid times

Post by shpalman » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:19 am

people should wear masks in hospitality settings in England says Labour, because
“I got the train here yesterday evening and it was absolutely rammed”
🤔
molto tricky

User avatar
shpalman
Princess POW
Posts: 7177
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Gigs in covid times

Post by shpalman » Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:38 am

Måneskin will be playing a big gig in Rome and there's some discussion going on about this because it's practically guaranteed to be a super-spreader event among young people in times when the covid rates have been about 100,000 cases per day this week. We had similar rates at the very end of 2021 but they aren't going up quite so fast; something like a doubling time of two weeks when it was less than a week at the end of December 2021. We're already above the late-March peak.

ICU admissions, and the numbers in the ICU, are going up but only slowly. It's only 4% of the capacity but it's more than this time last year. Both that and the ordinary hospital bed occupancy level are generally in "white zone" levels despite the high case rate.

Apparently 10.8% of cases are reinfections.
molto tricky

Post Reply