Travel and masks

Covid-19 discussion, bring your own statistics
Post Reply
Allo V Psycho
Snowbonk
Posts: 490
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:18 am

Travel and masks

Post by Allo V Psycho » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:39 am

Travelling to Europe soon (necessity, not holiday), and in a vulnerable category. What's the safest re-usable mask, currently? Is a mask and face shield helpful?

(Wasn't sure if this was best here or in pandemic area)

Cheers,

AvP

WFJ
Clardic Fug
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:54 am

Re: Travel and masks

Post by WFJ » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:50 am

Allo V Psycho wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:39 am
Travelling to Europe soon (necessity, not holiday), and in a vulnerable category. What's the safest re-usable mask, currently? Is a mask and face shield helpful?

(Wasn't sure if this was best here or in pandemic area)

Cheers,

AvP
What do you mean by re-usable and what country are you travelling to? In many countries, your only allowed options, in places where you must wear masks, are surgical masks or FFP2 masks. In which case FFP2 are safest, but should only be reused a couple of times at most (surgical masks are officially not reusable, even if most ignore this).

If you are in a vulnerable category and want to avoid being infected, avoid any cloth masks. They are generally useless for preventing your own infection.

Allo V Psycho
Snowbonk
Posts: 490
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:18 am

Re: Travel and masks

Post by Allo V Psycho » Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:06 am

WFJ wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:50 am
Allo V Psycho wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:39 am
Travelling to Europe soon (necessity, not holiday), and in a vulnerable category. What's the safest re-usable mask, currently? Is a mask and face shield helpful?

(Wasn't sure if this was best here or in pandemic area)

Cheers,

AvP
What do you mean by re-usable and what country are you travelling to? In many countries, your only allowed options, in places where you must wear masks, are surgical masks or FFP2 masks. In which case FFP2 are safest, but should only be reused a couple of times at most (surgical masks are officially not reusable, even if most ignore this).

If you are in a vulnerable category and want to avoid being infected, avoid any cloth masks. They are generally useless for preventing your own infection.
Destination Poland.
Re-usable, I guess I mean washable, if such a thing can be safely done. But security is more important than economy here.
I guess I am thinking about FFP3 or something, but, as I think about it, perhaps the single use disposables might be best?

WFJ
Clardic Fug
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:54 am

Re: Travel and masks

Post by WFJ » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:19 am

Only FFP2 or 3 masks offer any real protection for the wearer. Disposable surgical masks only help to stop you infecting other people. They are also a lot more comfortable to wear for longer periods than the surgical masks, as although the form a tighter seal around your cheeks and chin, they do not sit so close to your mouth and lower nose.

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW
Posts: 7167
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Travel and masks

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:17 pm

Moved thread to the pandemic subforum.
He has the grace of a swan, the wisdom of an owl, and the eye of an eagle—ladies and gentlemen, this man is for the birds!

User avatar
Brightonian
Catbabel
Posts: 844
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:16 pm
Location: Usually UK, often France and Ireland

Re: Travel and masks

Post by Brightonian » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:27 pm

Quick note, was thinking myself of FFP3 and on looking at Amazon reviews etc. it seems many are very poorly made (straps come off very easily) and I was suspicious of them anyway so I didn't get any in the end.

Herainestold
Dorkwood
Posts: 1345
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Re: Travel and masks

Post by Herainestold » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:13 pm

The hierarchy is FFP2 or 3, surgical mask (recent Bangladesh cluster randomized trial showed surgical to be better than cloth) and cloth comes last.
Double masking, cloth over surgical (cloth helps seal surgical to face), is a workable alternative to FFP2 - obviously not as good.
Vaccination saves lives. Lockdowns stop transmission.We need both to end this pandemic.

Millennie Al
Dorkwood
Posts: 1000
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:02 am

Re: Travel and masks

Post by Millennie Al » Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:12 am

Since a good fit is essential for a mask to work, see the HSE guidance at https://www.hse.gov.uk/coronavirus/ppe- ... pe-rpe.htm It's amazing how many people you see with a mask that has a visible gap, rendering it useless.
Covid-19 - Don't catch it: don't spread it.

User avatar
headshot
Catbabel
Posts: 766
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:40 am

Re: Travel and masks

Post by headshot » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:25 am

I have a ton of FFP2 masks from work. I’d be happy to post you a few if you like.

User avatar
sTeamTraen
After Pie
Posts: 2167
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:24 pm
Location: Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Re: Travel and masks

Post by sTeamTraen » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:57 am

If it helps: Depending on the country you are going to, you may find that you feel less vulnerable in public places than in the UK. Certainly here in Spain everyone is wearing a mask indoors and many are still doing so outdoors, and hospitality places are still taking distancing very seriously. You are also objectively less vulnerable because most of Europe has Covid rates about a quarter of the UK's at the moment.
Something something hammer something something nail

WFJ
Clardic Fug
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:54 am

Re: Travel and masks

Post by WFJ » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:02 pm

Herainestold wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:13 pm
The hierarchy is FFP2 or 3, surgical mask (recent Bangladesh cluster randomized trial showed surgical to be better than cloth) and cloth comes last.
Double masking, cloth over surgical (cloth helps seal surgical to face), is a workable alternative to FFP2 - obviously not as good.
No. This is terrible advice, especially to someone who has described themselves as vulnerable. For self protection, it is FFP2/3 or basically no protection.

ETA: but as sTeamTraen wrote, when out and about in Poland or many other EU countries, you would be at far lower risk than in the UK. Although flights/travelling are higher risk situations.

User avatar
shpalman
Light of Blast
Posts: 5573
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:53 pm
Location: One step beyond

Re: Travel and masks

Post by shpalman » Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:08 pm

sTeamTraen wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:57 am
If it helps: Depending on the country you are going to, you may find that you feel less vulnerable in public places than in the UK. Certainly here in Spain everyone is wearing a mask indoors and many are still doing so outdoors, and hospitality places are still taking distancing very seriously. You are also objectively less vulnerable because most of Europe has Covid rates about a quarter of the UK's at the moment.
Cases, deaths, and the test positivity rate are all very low in Poland (but their vaccination coverage is also a bit low).

If it's anything like Slovakia in August, nobody will be wearing masks outside, but everyone will be wearing them in the supermarkets.
molto tricky

User avatar
discovolante
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2848
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: Travel and masks

Post by discovolante » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:25 pm

I bought FFP2 masks but found them almost impossible to wear without there being a huge gap particularly around my nose, even with a cloth mask over the top. Any tips?

ETA the cloth mask also had a wire over the bridge of the nose to bend and help with the seal but the FFP2 gets in the way and it all just gets too cumbersome to feel like it's being particularly effective.
I'M HEATING STREAKY BACON IN A TROUSER PRESS

User avatar
headshot
Catbabel
Posts: 766
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:40 am

Re: Travel and masks

Post by headshot » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:13 pm

discovolante wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:25 pm
I bought FFP2 masks but found them almost impossible to wear without there being a huge gap particularly around my nose, even with a cloth mask over the top. Any tips?

ETA the cloth mask also had a wire over the bridge of the nose to bend and help with the seal but the FFP2 gets in the way and it all just gets too cumbersome to feel like it's being particularly effective.
Strange, the ones I've got make a really good seal and have a firm nose bridge wire.

User avatar
discovolante
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2848
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: Travel and masks

Post by discovolante » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:16 pm

headshot wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:13 pm
discovolante wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:25 pm
I bought FFP2 masks but found them almost impossible to wear without there being a huge gap particularly around my nose, even with a cloth mask over the top. Any tips?

ETA the cloth mask also had a wire over the bridge of the nose to bend and help with the seal but the FFP2 gets in the way and it all just gets too cumbersome to feel like it's being particularly effective.
Strange, the ones I've got make a really good seal and have a firm nose bridge wire.
Do you have a link?

I think the ones i had had *something* to help shape round the nose but it wasn't much use.
I'M HEATING STREAKY BACON IN A TROUSER PRESS

User avatar
Bird on a Fire
Princess POW
Posts: 7167
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:05 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Travel and masks

Post by Bird on a Fire » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:46 pm

I bought some random ones in the supermarket (so no link I'm afraid) - they had a ribbon of wire on the nose bridge but it was really stiff and took a fair bit of playing before I could mould it to my fizzog. Got there eventually, though.

I could tell the seal was ok, because I had to run for my flight thanks to a baggage handlers' strike (protip: pay baggage handlers) and got properly steamed up which was lovely.
He has the grace of a swan, the wisdom of an owl, and the eye of an eagle—ladies and gentlemen, this man is for the birds!

User avatar
headshot
Catbabel
Posts: 766
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:40 am

Re: Travel and masks

Post by headshot » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:50 pm

discovolante wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:16 pm
headshot wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:13 pm
discovolante wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:25 pm
I bought FFP2 masks but found them almost impossible to wear without there being a huge gap particularly around my nose, even with a cloth mask over the top. Any tips?

ETA the cloth mask also had a wire over the bridge of the nose to bend and help with the seal but the FFP2 gets in the way and it all just gets too cumbersome to feel like it's being particularly effective.
Strange, the ones I've got make a really good seal and have a firm nose bridge wire.
Do you have a link?

I think the ones i had had *something* to help shape round the nose but it wasn't much use.
https://www.medisave.co.uk/ffp2-respira ... of-50.html

User avatar
discovolante
Stummy Beige
Posts: 2848
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Re: Travel and masks

Post by discovolante » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:53 pm

headshot wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:50 pm
discovolante wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:16 pm
headshot wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:13 pm


Strange, the ones I've got make a really good seal and have a firm nose bridge wire.
Do you have a link?

I think the ones i had had *something* to help shape round the nose but it wasn't much use.
https://www.medisave.co.uk/ffp2-respira ... of-50.html
Thank you :)
I'M HEATING STREAKY BACON IN A TROUSER PRESS

Post Reply