Booster vaccination

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
shpalman
Princess POW

Re: Booster vaccination

Post by shpalman » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:39 pm

discovolante wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:32 pm
I have a slight bee in my bonnet, although I appreciate difficult decisions, many countries entirely unvaccinated etc. Currently it is people of a certain age and the extremely clinically vulnerable getting jabbed. But for example i was, i think, in group 6. So I got my first jab in march and second in may, both AZ because i got the first shortly before the big clot scare. And apparently AZ starts to wear off after about 5 months I.e. now. But I'm not down for a booster and presumably neither are any other group 6ers, many of whom will have probably had AZ. Whereas the younger people not in any group got jabbed later (obviously risky for them to wait but we also had more restrictions then), so their vaccines will wear off later too, perhaps as we reach the new year and the booster gets rolled out nationally as it seems will be the case.

So it seems we have a group of potentially vulnerable people with waning vaccines just over Christmas and new year when disease is at it's most spready? Not entirely happy with that, if I'm right...especially as I'm one of them!
Yeah I got my AZ doses in March and May, since they couldn't give them to old people at the time so decided to bring forward the rollout to teachers/armed forces/police etc.; now I think they're only considering boosting teachers of children under 12 who currently aren't eligible for vaccination themselves.

But hey doesn't AZ wear off less because it wasn't that good to start with, or does it get even worse?
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:39 pm

discovolante wrote:
I have a slight bee in my bonnet, although I appreciate difficult decisions, many countries entirely unvaccinated etc. Currently it is people of a certain age and the extremely clinically vulnerable getting jabbed. But for example i was, i think, in group 6. So I got my first jab in march and second in may, both AZ because i got the first shortly before the big clot scare. And apparently AZ starts to wear off after about 5 months I.e. now. But I'm not down for a booster and presumably neither are any other group 6ers, many of whom will have probably had AZ. Whereas the younger people not in any group got jabbed later (obviously risky for them to wait but we also had more restrictions then), so their vaccines will wear off later too, perhaps as we reach the new year and the booster gets rolled out nationally as it seems will be the case.

So it seems we have a group of potentially vulnerable people with waning vaccines just over Christmas and new year when disease is at it's most spready? Not entirely happy with that, if I'm right...especially as I'm one of them!
I don't know about Scotland (which I think is where you are - is that right?), but I believe that in England you can book your booster without being called, 6 months after your second vaccination, which will be this month if your #2 was in May
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:40 pm

shpalman wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:39 pm
discovolante wrote:

Yeah I got my AZ doses in March and May, since they couldn't give them to old people at the time so decided to bring forward the rollout to teachers/armed forces/police etc.; now I think they're only considering boosting teachers of children under 12 who currently aren't eligible for vaccination themselves.

But hey doesn't AZ wear off less because it wasn't that good to start with, or does it get even worse?
I thought it wore off less to begin with but then I think I saw a thread somewhere saying it wore off quicker. Obviously very trustworthy info from me here :P
To defy the laws of tradition is a crusade only of the brave.

Fishnut
After Pie

Post by Fishnut » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:45 pm

Gfamily wrote:
discovolante wrote:

I don't know about Scotland (which I think is where you are - is that right?), but I believe that in England you can book your booster without being called, 6 months after your second vaccination, which will be this month if your #2 was in May
I thought the boosters were only for over 50s or highly vulnerable people in younger age groups.
it's okay to say "I don't know"

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:48 pm

Fishnut wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:45 pm
Gfamily wrote:
discovolante wrote:

I thought the boosters were only for over 50s or highly vulnerable people in younger age groups.
Yep.was just about to post the same link!

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:57 pm

discovolante wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:48 pm
Fishnut wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:45 pm
Yep.was just about to post the same link!
Ah, fair point.
I've been hanging around with people my own age too long.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

FairySmall
Sindis Poop

Post by FairySmall » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:38 pm

Disco, I'm in exactly the same situation as you. Group 6 ("underlying health conditions"?), got AZ in March and May. I honestly didn't think I was eligible at the time but I was called (not literally) by my GP and wasn't going to turn the opportunity down. I'm sure it's because they had spare doses and were jabbing anyone they could even vaguely claim was Group 6. I definitely don't count as highly vulnerable but I thought I'd see what happened at 6 months and if I'd be able to book anyway. I figure they might be desperate for more people by then. But who knows. Not looking forward to a mass family Christmas with dodgy protection...

WFJ
Catbabel

Post by WFJ » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:13 pm

Everyone here (Germany) who received AZ or J&J is recommended to go for a dose of BioNTech or Moderna, regardless of when they received the first dose.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:23 am

Well, seems they’ve changed that again since last month.

Frau HS and I were surprised to read that anyone who gets the flu jab for free on the NHS would be eligible for a booster once their 6 months were up. She wasn’t originally in the clinically vulnerable groups, but our doctor called us in in April as they had Pfizer doses to use up.

Now we see she’s not eligible for the booster.

Who the f.ck is doing the messaging on this? It’s been f.cking terrible. No wonder people aren’t turning up to get boosted.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:53 am

headshot wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:23 am

Frau HS and I were surprised to read that anyone who gets the flu jab for free on the NHS would be eligible for a booster once their 6 months were up. She wasn’t originally in the clinically vulnerable groups, but our doctor called us in in April as they had Pfizer doses to use up.

Who the f.ck is doing the messaging on this? It’s been f.cking terrible. No wonder people aren’t turning up to get boosted.
9 million booster or third doses have been given though, compared to less than 2 million in Italy, but then in Italy only about 6 million are currently eligible for boosting or an extra dose (e.g. a second J&J dose).

Your link though does show how my protection against hospitalization, as an AZ recipient, drops from 95% to 75% after 20 weeks. There might be 5-6 million of us who got AZ in Italy, between younger people who got it while it wasn't considered effective in older people and older people who got it when it turned out it was killing younger people (and younger people who went to get it anyway when the regions were basically just trying to give it away).
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:05 am

FairySmall wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:38 pm
Disco, I'm in exactly the same situation as you. Group 6 ("underlying health conditions"?), got AZ in March and May. I honestly didn't think I was eligible at the time but I was called (not literally) by my GP and wasn't going to turn the opportunity down. I'm sure it's because they had spare doses and were jabbing anyone they could even vaguely claim was Group 6. I definitely don't count as highly vulnerable but I thought I'd see what happened at 6 months and if I'd be able to book anyway. I figure they might be desperate for more people by then. But who knows. Not looking forward to a mass family Christmas with dodgy protection...
Yeah I think I'm in group 6 either because I get the flu jab, for reasons that I have never quite worked out, or possibly more likely because I'm coeliac (I think I have posted about this before so apologies for repetitiveness). The JCVI guidance said people with potential spleen issues should be in group 6, and specifically refers to coeliacs, because about 30% have hyposplenism which can put you at more risk if you get an infection - it's why I also got the pneumococcal vaccine, or at least I did when I moved to Scotland, 6 years after I was diagnosed. I think my chances of having it are probably less than 30% because I was diagnosed relatively young (although it still felt like f.cking ages!), which is reassuring, but I don't really want to find out the hard way. The timing of this is really bad. Although it's not as if the vaccine suddenly stops working completely, but yeah it's not great.
headshot wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:23 am

I can't remember exactly when it was decided. I recall fairly early on in the discussions about boosters that there was some suggestion it would come with the flu jab, but I don't think that was ever officially confirmed and the only official guidance that has ever come out has been older people + extremely clinically vulnerable. And of course I'm glad they're getting it but I do kind of feel that there is a group of people who are now getting the worst of both worlds. Maybe the impact won't be that significant in the grand scheme of things though, on a population level at least.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:04 pm

Italy seems to be talking about extending the booster rollout to over-50's in December. Or maybe to everybody (assuming >6 months since their second* dose). Without the need for booking. Honestly I'd prefer booking to having to turn up randomly and wait an indeterminate number of hours but I'll be happy if I can get it done at the hospital which is literally 2 minutes' walk up the road.
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

tenchboy
After Pie

Post by tenchboy » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:38 am

discovolante wrote:
And apparently AZ starts to wear off after about 5 months I.e. now.
You won't remember this
For a long, long time, until quite recently I have had, for want of a better expression, a low-frequency tinnitus in my left ear; ...
It stopped just after I had my first jab.
Well I noticed, last week, that it has returned.
Had the 2nd AZ on June23, so ~18 weeks.
If you want me Steve, just Snapchat me yeah? You know how to Snapchap me doncha Steve? You just...

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:36 am

Managed to get my booster booked this morning - will be 3 days short of 6 months since my second Vac.
Meta? I'd say so!

FairySmall
Sindis Poop

Post by FairySmall » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:18 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:36 am
Managed to get my booster booked this morning - will be 3 days short of 6 months since my second Vac.
Just booked mine too, via the NHS site. And since I'm in Group 6 as per conversation above, I guess they are taking a liberal approach to eligibility again. Headshot and Disco - maybe worth a look (unless it's different in Scotland)?

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:26 pm

FairySmall wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:18 pm
Gfamily wrote:
Just booked mine too, via the NHS site. And since I'm in Group 6 as per conversation above, I guess they are taking a liberal approach to eligibility again. Headshot and Disco - maybe worth a look (unless it's different in Scotland)?
I was thinking of posting about this. I don't think I can book at all as I'm in Scotland. However I did the question thing on this page https://www.nhsinform.scot/covid-19-vac ... accination and selected 'underlying health condition' (it doesn't actually say what that is). It said I may get the covid booster with my flu jab. That's a pretty rough and ready thing seeing as I do get the free flu jab but I don't know why. My appointment is on Sunday morning so I will just have to make a point of asking I suppose. I'm trying not to get my hopes up...

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:14 pm

FairySmall wrote:
Gfamily wrote:
Ta, we'll have to wait until Frau HS's six (five) months are up.

ETA: On the NHS England website you can book your booster 152 days after your second dose.

Cardinal Fang
Snowbonk

Post by Cardinal Fang » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:11 pm

Yay

My temperature is finally back to normal, almost 2 weeks after having my 3rd Covid jab. Did go to the GP - they said a few people had reported the same thing i.e. their immune system being fired up for a long time post 3rd dose, and nearly all were peeps who had strong reactions to the 2nd dose.

I'm not going to whinge about my immune system doing it's job, but I have to admit that after a week of still feeling ick I was getting a little hacked off with it.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:52 pm

discovolante wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:26 pm
FairySmall wrote:
Gfamily wrote:
I was thinking of posting about this. I don't think I can book at all as I'm in Scotland. However I did the question thing on this page https://www.nhsinform.scot/covid-19-vac ... accination and selected 'underlying health condition' (it doesn't actually say what that is). It said I may get the covid booster with my flu jab. That's a pretty rough and ready thing seeing as I do get the free flu jab but I don't know why. My appointment is on Sunday morning so I will just have to make a point of asking I suppose. I'm trying not to get my hopes up...
OK, so it lists severe asthma, but our GP deemed Frau HS's asthma wasn't serious enough in the first dose rollout because, although she's been on steroids in the past, she'd only had two courses - not the required three courses at the time they made that decision.

I reckon they'll now accept her - given she's on a daily preventative inhaler...plus I guess they just want to get people vaccinated as much as possible, given that take-up isn't particularly good at the moment.

Disco...a question: When you folks booked, did you select the date and vaccination centre as part of that process? (We're heading to Germany for Christmas, so we'll only have a window of a few days to get the shot)

dyqik
Princess POW

Post by dyqik » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:51 pm

Got mine booked for Thursday. Here you can qualify six months after second dose on the basis of a BMI over 25.

Trinucleus
Catbabel

Post by Trinucleus » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:51 pm

Getting mine on Wednesday. Slightly worried that after a pneumonia jab today and flu due on Saturday I haven't got enough arms

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:58 pm

headshot wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:52 pm
discovolante wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 5:26 pm
FairySmall wrote:

OK, so it lists severe asthma, but our GP deemed Frau HS's asthma wasn't serious enough in the first dose rollout because, although she's been on steroids in the past, she'd only had two courses - not the required three courses at the time they made that decision.

I reckon they'll now accept her - given she's on a daily preventative inhaler...plus I guess they just want to get people vaccinated as much as possible, given that take-up isn't particularly good at the moment.

Disco...a question: When you folks booked, did you select the date and vaccination centre as part of that process? (We're heading to Germany for Christmas, so we'll only have a window of a few days to get the shot)
Severe asthma as extremely clinically vulnerable or as underlying health condition?

I haven't booked anything, not my flu jab nor covid jabs, they just send you an appointment. So maybe fairysmall is better to answer that question?

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:44 pm

This from the NHS site:
Attachments
13E23CC1-BED4-48F8-807D-A93A54249F41.jpeg
13E23CC1-BED4-48F8-807D-A93A54249F41.jpeg (206.22 KiB) Viewed 1542 times

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:07 pm

headshot wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:44 pm
This from the NHS site:
Hmm interesting. Well I will definitely be asking when I go for my flu jab then.

veravista
Catbabel

Post by veravista » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:57 pm

So, I took Mrs V to get her booster just now. Dropped her off and the parking marshal asked when I had mine, which was at the end of May - I'd actually booked my booster for the 22nd of this month. She said just go up and get it done now as a walk in, they had been told to tell that to anyone within 5 months of the second. Joined Mrs V in the queue, jabbed and home. Had Pfizer (but AZ for first two) and currently feels like someone has injected a tennis ball in my arm.

Apparently, a lot of places in Notts are doing Covid and Flu at the same time now - one in each arm.