bob sterman
Dorkwood

Re: Booster vaccination

Post by bob sterman » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:42 pm

Martin_B wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:17 pm
Fishnut wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:01 pm
Just had my booster. Pfizer have rebranded their vaccination as Comirnaty which I honestly though was a mistyping of Community until I realised what was going on. I wonder how much it cost to come up with.
Both my vaccinations were "Pfizer", but the certificate said Comirnaty and that was even back in May.

I guess that Pfizer/Moderna/AstraZeneca had to actually give their drugs names and Pfizer/BioNTech gave their drug the name Comirnaty.

Saying Pfizer is like saying that you drive a Ford, but what you actually drive is a Ford Focus, as opposed to a Ford Ranger or some other model.
I've driven two Vaxzevrias and one Comirnaty.

jaap
Catbabel

Post by jaap » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:52 pm

My dad, aged 80, got his booster shot yesterday. Here in the Netherlands the booster rollout has been terribly slow to get going. My dad should have received an invite, but decided to call and book an appointment when he heard that people slightly younger than him were getting shots. At least he could get his shot the day he called. It was Moderna, whereas he had Pfizer shots previously.

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:18 pm

Safety and immunogenicity of seven COVID-19 vaccines as a third dose (booster) following two doses of ChAdOx1 nCov-19 or BNT162b2 in the UK (COV-BOOST): a blinded, multicentre, randomised, controlled, phase 2 trial
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanc ... 3/fulltext

Thread by the author: https://twitter.com/apsmunro/status/146 ... 19556?s=21

jdc
Hilda Ogden

Post by jdc » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:30 pm

A bit more on immune escape and overcoming it with hybrid immunity: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-04005-0
By aggregating variant of concern-associated and antibody-selected spike substitutions into a single polymutant spike protein, we show that 20 naturally occurring mutations in the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein are sufficient to generate pseudotypes with near-complete resistance to the polyclonal neutralizing antibodies generated by individuals who are convalescent or recipients who received an mRNA vaccine. However, plasma from individuals who had been infected and subsequently received mRNA vaccination neutralized pseudotypes bearing this highly resistant SARS-CoV-2 polymutant spike, or diverse sarbecovirus spike proteins.
(See previous page on how third doses or extended intervals might allow people who haven't been infected to achieve the benefits of hybrid immunity.)

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:48 pm

having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:03 pm

I’m just over 5 months since my second jab. Is there any point trying to get a booster at a walk in centre? I hear they are turning people away in that situation
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:53 pm

Stranger Mouse wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:03 pm
I’m just over 5 months since my second jab. Is there any point trying to get a booster at a walk in centre? I hear they are turning people away in that situation
Apparently they announced all this sh.t without actually setting it up. Who would have thunk it? https://inews.co.uk/news/health/covid-b ... 8s-1328044

Woodchopper
Princess POW

Post by Woodchopper » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:05 am

Odds of Testing Positive for SARS-CoV-2 Following Receipt of 3 vs 2 Doses of the BNT162b2 mRNA Vaccine

Key Points
Question What is the additional reduction in the odds of infection with SARS-CoV-2 in people receiving a third dose (booster) of the BNT162b2 (Pfizer-BioNTech) vaccine compared with those receiving 2 doses?

Findings In this case-control study that included 306 710 Israeli adults 40 years and older, there was an estimated significant reduction in the odds of SARS-CoV-2 infection within a few weeks of receiving the booster compared with receiving just the 2 primary doses. Those receiving the booster also had lower odds of hospitalization.

Meaning The findings of this study suggest that the waning of vaccine-induced protection against SARS-CoV-2 infection seems to be counteracted in the short-term by a third dose and further monitoring is needed to determine the duration of immunity following the booster.

Abstract
Importance With the evidence of waning immunity of the mRNA vaccine BNT162b2 (Pfizer-BioNTech), a nationwide third-dose (booster) vaccination campaign was initiated in Israel during August 2021; other countries have begun to administer a booster shot as well.

Objective To evaluate the initial short-term additional benefit of a 3-dose vs a 2-dose regimen against infection of SARS-CoV-2.

Design, Setting, and Participants This preliminary retrospective case-control study used 2 complementary approaches: a test-negative design and a matched case-control design. Participants were included from the national centralized database of Maccabi Healthcare Services, an Israeli healthcare maintenance organization covering 2.5 million members. Data were collected between March 1, 2020, and October 4, 2021, and analyses focused on the period from August 1, 2021, to October 4, 2021, because the booster dose was widely administered from August 1 onward.

Exposures Either 2 doses or 3 doses of the BNT162b2 vaccine.

Main Outcomes and Measures The reduction in the odds of a positive SARS-CoV-2 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test at different time intervals following receipt of the booster dose (0-6, 7-13, 14-20, 21-27, and 28-65 days) compared with receiving only 2 doses.

Results The study population included 306 710 members of Maccabi Healthcare Services who were 40 years and older (55% female) and received either 2 or 3 doses of the BNT162b2 vaccine and did not have a positive PCR test result for SARS-CoV-2 prior to the start of the follow-up period. During this period, there were 500 232 PCR tests performed, 227 380 among those who received 2 doses and 272 852 among those who received 3 doses, with 14 989 (6.6%) and 4941 (1.8%) positive test results in each group, respectively. Comparing those who received a booster and those who received 2 doses, there was an estimated odds ratio of 0.14 (95% CI, 0.13-0.15) 28 to 65 days following receipt of the booster (86% reduction in the odds of testing positive for SARS-CoV-2).

Conclusion and Relevance Previous studies have demonstrated that vaccine-derived protection against SARS-CoV-2 wanes over time. In this case-control analysis, we showed an association between receipt of the booster dose and a reduction in the odds of testing positive for SARS-CoV-2, potentially counteracting waning immunity in the short term. Further monitoring of data from this population is needed to determine the duration of immunity following the booster.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamain ... le/2786890

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:08 am

Stranger Mouse wrote:
The NHS page is still saying 6 months, and that you have to be over 40, or over 16 and at risk.

Unless you're a frontline NHS/social care worker, then you're eligible anyway.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavir ... tion-site/

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:57 am

raven wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:08 am
Stranger Mouse wrote:
The NHS page is still saying 6 months, and that you have to be over 40, or over 16 and at risk.

Unless you're a frontline NHS/social care worker, then you're eligible anyway.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavir ... tion-site/
Yeah see my next post. I heard something on the news yesterday that it should all be updated by 13th December but we shall see. I will have completed the six month gap anyway by the 22nd but I’d rather get it sooner if I can so the nanobastard virus finds it more difficult to use me as a stepping stone to get to the person I care for

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:09 pm

Oh, sorry. Didn't realise that second post was you... It was past my bedtime :oops:

badger
Fuzzable

Post by badger » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:39 am

Obligatory sit down after my booster. (Moderna, following 2xAZ) so here's what I'm seeing:

Quite a few attempted walk ins, but being turned away muttering "but I was told by my GP"...
This urban, busy Vax hub (part converted from hight st pharmacy) had done drop ins in the past but is appointment only at the mo, as they only have enough vax to cover appts. They're hoping for more but aren't sure when. Even when they get them they will triage any spare supply by the new rules (which clearly people think apply now, including, rather worryingly, some GPs and Mr Javid) and are encouraging people to book if and when they can.

Today's attempted walk ins in their 40s really need to have booked when they could (like me, after 5 months for booster date at 6months post 2nd jab). Those in their 30s can do one (for now) but I'd be very tempted to try a squeeze in the couple of older people of colour who turned up on the off chance, given age and low rates in their ethnic group.

The front desk staff should stop pulling down their masks to talk though.

Literally amazing nurse. Her name is Amazing!

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:26 pm

Our region just made boosters available for the 60-64 age group who had 2 doses first time round — last week this age group was only eligible if they had had Janssen.

I phoned ten minutes ago to ask for appointments for Mrs sTeamTraen and me, and was given one for a Moderna vaccine tomorrow evening. It could have been tomorrow morning but we're late risers. And it's a public holiday tomorrow, which is normally pretty sacred here.
Something something hammer something something nail

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:03 am

Boosters now available to anyone over 40 after three months.

frau HS and I just booked ours for tomorrow afternoon.

wilsontown
Clardic Fug

Post by wilsontown » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:21 am

Thanks for that. Trying to book but the nearest available places to York are currently in Knaresborough. Presumably more places will become available as it all gets sorted out.
"All models are wrong but some are useful" - George Box

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:31 am

headshot wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:03 am

Where - the Website still says it isn't

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavir ... ccination/
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:42 am

jimbob wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:31 am
headshot wrote:

Screenshot 2021-12-08 114212.png
Screenshot 2021-12-08 114212.png (30.1 KiB) Viewed 1793 times
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

bob sterman
Dorkwood

Post by bob sterman » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:07 am

So I only got text reminders telling me I was eligible to book my booster...
  • Before the NHS website would actually let me book it (i.e. when the website said I was not eligible)
  • And then later, after I'd already had the booster (with the text saying that I hadn't had it yet)

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:02 pm

I haven’t had any text reminders. I’m just checking back on the website and reading the news.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:31 pm

shpalman wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:42 am
jimbob wrote:
headshot wrote:

Got it thanks. And booked for Friday
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:02 pm

jimbob wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:31 pm
shpalman wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:42 am
jimbob wrote:

Got it thanks. And booked for Friday
I’ve booked for Friday too (two weeks before I hit six months anyway). Interesting that the front page still said six months but when I clicked through and was able to book anyway.

Martin_B
After Pie

Post by Martin_B » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:31 am

Just heard from the Australian authorities that we can now book booster vaccinations for 6 months after your 2nd jab. So I can start queueing up on Australia Day!
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:25 pm

Boosted! Very efficient centre at Manor Pharmacy in Halesowen, in Dudley Borough.

They weren’t accepting walk ins, but a guy turned up a week early by accident and they let him in.

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:26 pm

bob sterman wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:07 am
So I only got text reminders telling me I was eligible to book my booster...
  • Before the NHS website would actually let me book it (i.e. when the website said I was not eligible)
  • And then later, after I'd already had the booster (with the text saying that I hadn't had it yet)
Me too. And duplicate reminders by email the day afterwards, cos I'd given them that.

MrRaven - who hasn't given them his mobile - got actual letters. Big blue NHS letters. Also one reminding him to get a 'flu jab (which he can't get until the 21st Dec at Boots, cos he missed his & our GPs don't seem to be doing a mop up clinic).

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:00 pm

Boosted! No side effects so far (early days). Still hoping to develop superhuman abilities as a side effect bearing in mind the last few years have basically been the introduction to a mid 90s dystopian science fiction action movie but I’ll settle for a reduced risk of death from Covid infection.