Light of Blast

Re: Join the Covid club!

Post by dyqik » Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:02 pm

Millennie Al wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:28 am
dyqik wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:33 pm
weekly testing
What's the point of that? You're infectious in a lot less than a week.
five days for non-Omicron, 3 days for Omicron.

I'm only going in twice a week. Those on campus all the time test up to 3 times a week, with PCR tests.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:37 pm

bjn
After Pie

Post by bjn » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:50 pm

MrsBJN, Eldest and myself all tested positive today on LTFs. I tested negative yesterday when I started feeling crap. Blah.

It's definitely because yesterday we booked a place to go for school holidays. The God of Vacations seems to have the hate on for BJN-famille.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:56 pm

Oh no :( I hope you all feel better soon. I've been booking a few Nice Things but daren't look forward to them at all. It's like the thing I used to overly catastrophise about has actually come properly true.
I'M HEATING STREAKY BACON IN A TROUSER PRESS

bjn
After Pie

Post by bjn » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:57 pm

Only a bad cold so far and we can all still smell. It’s just that for the 5th time in a row our planned holiday looks to be ruined.

bagpuss
Dorkwood

Post by bagpuss » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:11 pm

Oh no, hope none of you get too ill. When do your school hols start? If it's same as ours you have a fighting chance of all being clear by then so crossing fingers it's so.

bjn
After Pie

Post by bjn » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:55 pm

We have a thing booked from next Thursday so should hopefully be recovered in time. But given the last four holidays (cancellations or dreadful weather) by bet is that if we do recover and get to go a hurricane will flatten us.

bjn
After Pie

Post by bjn » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:39 pm

Feeling pretty good this morning, no fever, breathing fine, no headaches and the faintest red line in my LFT. I decided to mow our tiny lawn for the first time this year and do a tiny bit of tidying of dead leaves etc. I did it, but by the end it was like I’d run 5km at my fastest pace. Knackered and dizzy. I had to have a little sit down. Wow.

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:22 pm

Attachments
20220326_172125.jpg
20220326_172125.jpg (85.87 KiB) Viewed 641 times
Tree dwellers leaping out the boughs shouting «Get the paper»
Trunk hugging rebels chucking petals at a detonator

bjn
After Pie

Post by bjn » Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:52 pm

I have no friends and I got COVID, what am I doing wrong?

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:26 pm

bjn wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:52 pm
I have no friends and I got COVID, what am I doing wrong?
Booking holidays ;)

(Too soon?)
Tree dwellers leaping out the boughs shouting «Get the paper»
Trunk hugging rebels chucking petals at a detonator

bagpuss
Dorkwood

Post by bagpuss » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:34 am

bjn wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:39 pm
Feeling pretty good this morning, no fever, breathing fine, no headaches and the faintest red line in my LFT. I decided to mow our tiny lawn for the first time this year and do a tiny bit of tidying of dead leaves etc. I did it, but by the end it was like I’d run 5km at my fastest pace. Knackered and dizzy. I had to have a little sit down. Wow.
Yeah, it flattened me too. Easier said than done but do try not to overdo it.

I only really felt ill for 2 days (plus the first day when I had a sore throat and a bit of a sniffle) but it was a good 2 weeks before I could walk briskly/run up our 2 flights of stairs and down again, without feeling the need to sit down and recover for a while afterwards. The first 3 or 4 days that I was feeling better, Mr Bagpuss (who had it worse than me but still not worryingly serious - just totally wiped out to an even greater extent and for longer) didn't manage to get out of bed for most of the day. Our bedroom is in the attic up those 2 flights of stairs. I spent a lot of time those days sitting on the stairs on my way up and/or down from taking him drinks and checking on him. As for the grocery delivery on the second day of my feeling better, it took 3 stints with much sitting down in between just to get the fridge stuff in the fridge. Most of the non-fridge stuff had to wait till the next day as I had no spoons left at all.

bagpuss
Dorkwood

Post by bagpuss » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:35 am

bjn wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:55 pm
We have a thing booked from next Thursday so should hopefully be recovered in time. But given the last four holidays (cancellations or dreadful weather) by bet is that if we do recover and get to go a hurricane will flatten us.
Very much crossing fingers that you're ok to go.

bjn
After Pie

Post by bjn » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:45 am

Thanks. MrsBJN is testing clear and seems to back to near normal. I'm just tired, but seem to be improving. Brian fog is lifting and I can actually do some work. BJNlettes are testing red and don't seem to be affected apart from a few sniffles.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:30 am

Welp, the covids found me.

I was feeling a bit meh on Friday so I left work early, mainly the kind of sore throat I get when I've been talking too much plus slightly weak-feeling leg muscles. I had a bit of fever that night but only 37°C (the first vaccine dose sent me over 39°C). Rapid self test this morning had immediate strong C and T lines, but not the U and N lines, which is strange.

The Oura Ring reckons I had an elevated temperature last night too but I measured myself and I don't.

Well if this was going to happen (and it's going to happen to everyone now that we've all decided to behave as if covid is gone when it obviously hasn't) it's better that it happened just after the project submission deadline I just had.
molto tricky

bjn
After Pie

Post by bjn » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:42 am

Soz schlapers. We’ve all come through it relatively unscathed. If you are fully vaxed you should hopefully just feel a bit rubbish and tired for a few days.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:12 am

It's pretty good timing, assuming it doesn't escalate of course; it's just about 4 months since my third dose which limits how bad it's going to be while still making it a useful top-up to my immunity before my teaching starts (and there's also a dance festival at the end of the month).

Of course this assumes that the symptoms clear up quickly (well, I don't even have a fever, like I said) and I'll get the all clear. But I would actually need to get an official positive test first, which I think requires my doctor to refer me to a testing centre.
molto tricky

4piE-7
Buzzberry

Post by 4piE-7 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:09 am

Positive test Friday afternoon when I had mild cold symptoms. Now feels like a bad cold.
The fate of all mankind I see
Is in the hands of fools

bjn
After Pie

Post by bjn » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:58 am

4piE-7 wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:09 am
Positive test Friday afternoon when I had mild cold symptoms. Now feels like a bad cold.
Anecdotally, that does seem to be how most fully vaxxed folks I know have experienced the recent wave of infection. Hopefully you'll be through that in a few days.

Stranger Mouse
Dorkwood

Post by Stranger Mouse » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:23 am

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:22 pm
Can confirm
A caterpillar does all the work but the butterfly gets all the publicity.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:31 am

Both my parents. My dad, then my mum just under 2 weeks later. She's taking part in the molnupiravir trial.
I'M HEATING STREAKY BACON IN A TROUSER PRESS

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:43 am

discovolante wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:31 am
She's taking part in the molnupiravir trial.
Do they use Thor’s hammer to hit the Covid out of you?

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:40 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:12 am
It's pretty good timing, assuming it doesn't escalate of course; it's just about 4 months since my third dose which limits how bad it's going to be while still making it a useful top-up to my immunity before my teaching starts (and there's also a dance festival at the end of the month).

Of course this assumes that the symptoms clear up quickly (well, I don't even have a fever, like I said) and I'll get the all clear. But I would actually need to get an official positive test first, which I think requires my doctor to refer me to a testing centre.
Yesterday I flew laterally but still had a very faint line; I booked an official drive-in PCR test this morning anyway. I already received the negative result from that so yay I'm out of the house!.. and in the office.

Remind me not to overdo it though.
molto tricky

bagpuss
Dorkwood

Post by bagpuss » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:33 pm

shpalman wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:40 pm
shpalman wrote:

Yesterday I flew laterally but still had a very faint line; I booked an official drive-in PCR test this morning anyway. I already received the negative result from that so yay I'm out of the house!.. and in the office.

Seriously, don't overdo it. Don't try to get straight back to normal, give it time and listen to your body.

It was at least a couple of weeks before I stopped feeling tired from anything much above gentle pottering, and I noticed effects beyond that when I did something fairly energetic. 2.5 months later, Mr Bagpuss is still getting unusually tired, although he does have another health condition that can also impact on energy levels so it could be a combination making things worse for him.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:38 pm

bagpuss wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:33 pm
shpalman wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:40 pm
shpalman wrote:

Seriously, don't overdo it. Don't try to get straight back to normal, give it time and listen to your body.

It was at least a couple of weeks before I stopped feeling tired from anything much above gentle pottering, and I noticed effects beyond that when I did something fairly energetic. 2.5 months later, Mr Bagpuss is still getting unusually tired, although he does have another health condition that can also impact on energy levels so it could be a combination making things worse for him.
Thanks, and I was feeling somewhat lazy and lethargic, but then in the dance lessons I've done both as a pupil and as a teacher I've had no problem keeping up, and my physics teaching seems to be fine, so I think the tiredness is psychological and the energy is there if I want it.

I've taken it easy over the long weekend, though (today is a holiday in Italy) and not just because I had to take my car back to the workshop for what I suspect will be new ignition coils and therefore couldn't drive to Milan for dancing. Also I appear to have a swollen left eyelid which I doubt is related to covid (yes I already got advice from a medical professional).

(Actually I went dancing in Milan last Friday, and I made a point of leaving at about 1 am to not overdo it.)
molto tricky