Join the Covid club!

Covid-19 discussion, bring your own statistics
bagpuss
Dorkwood

Re: Join the Covid club!

Post by bagpuss » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:07 pm

I've only just realised how long ago you posted that - I've clearly not been keeping up with this sub forum. Glad you're pretty much back on form now.

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:37 pm

Well, Covid finally caught me and MrRaven. My fault really, suggested we visit the nephews & niece at Easter.... Hey ho.

Earliest symptom for me was a scratchy throat, which I put down to dust from spring cleaning. Next day, unilateral headache which I put down to migraine but turned into feeling rubbish by that evening. Postive next morning. Mild fever, streaming nose and feeling pretty miserable for the next 4 days. With some interesting vivid dreams... Oh, and stabbing faceache in one cheek so suspect the little bugger had infiltrate a sinus, explaining the one-sided headache. Also, quite dramatic histamine-rash thingy chest/neck which I get with fevers, and got after every vaccine. Probably dramatic because I didn't take antihistamine soon enough.

Day 6&7 I felt fine, just as MrRaven was coming down with it, so threw myself into catching up with chores. Day 8 totally wiped. Morning cough, but no breathlessness. Day 9 did stuff, day 10 wiped again but also finally tested negative. Yay. Day 11 today, did a 30 minute walk in the sunshine and didn't feel too bad.

MrRaven had snuffles for the first few days, then a little chest tightness but was actually more ill with the cough he picked up last time we saw the nephews. He had a well dark line on the last LFT he did though, so he's not allowed out yet.

Oh, and I had Covid finger. Day7? Tip of my little finger went purple temporarily, then a chunk of skin sloughed off. Wasn't massively sore, and it's healed up already. Also had finger bruising right before I came down with it too, but I get that from time to time so might've been coincidental.

ETA: Nobody called me back about the antiviral study I signed up for, but they called MrRaven and he's doing normal treatment/filling in a symptom diary for 28 days. So he's doing science.

Grumble
Stummy Beige

Post by Grumble » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:01 pm

I’ve still not had covid, at least I haven’t tested positive, but the rest of my household have. Mrs Grumble is now about 7-8 weeks post covid and still has fairly bad brain fog and fatigue, which is rubbish. Another month or so and she’ll be a long covid sufferer, unless things improve.

As an example of brain fog, she struggled to take £13.50 away from £26 earlier. Had to resort to using a calculator. This is not a sum she would normally struggle with, but it does involve a couple of steps, even if they are simple ones.
A bit churlish

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Sun May 01, 2022 9:14 pm

Brain fog sucks, I hope Mrs Grumble sees some improvement soon. My ability to do mental maths always nosedives when I have a bad cold, but it's no fun when that lingers.

The fatigue hit MrRaven today; he's about day 8 I think. I'm not too bad tonight, but my tinnitus suddenly kicked up a notch last night and kept me awake, plus this morning I was hoarse & stuffed up again. All the glands in my face were sore too, but I get that sporadically. Also cystitis-y symptoms like I got a fortnight or so post vaccine. General uptick in inflammation perhaps.

Think we'll forgo gardening tomorrow and take it easy instead.

bagpuss
Dorkwood

Post by bagpuss » Tue May 03, 2022 11:15 am

Grumble wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:01 pm
I’ve still not had covid, at least I haven’t tested positive, but the rest of my household have. Mrs Grumble is now about 7-8 weeks post covid and still has fairly bad brain fog and fatigue, which is rubbish. Another month or so and she’ll be a long covid sufferer, unless things improve.

As an example of brain fog, she struggled to take £13.50 away from £26 earlier. Had to resort to using a calculator. This is not a sum she would normally struggle with, but it does involve a couple of steps, even if they are simple ones.
Sorry to hear that. Mr Bagpuss is still suffering from fatigue and occasional brain fog* 12 weeks later which is distinctly sh.t. He's improving all the time, but at a frustratingly slow rate.

*Although, honestly, the brain fog is not all that obvious as he's always appeared a bit vacant from time to time** - I probably wouldn't notice but he is aware of it and mentions it.
**He's a bit of a classic absent-minded professor, without the professor bit

bagpuss
Dorkwood

Post by bagpuss » Tue May 03, 2022 11:26 am

raven wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 9:14 pm
Brain fog sucks, I hope Mrs Grumble sees some improvement soon. My ability to do mental maths always nosedives when I have a bad cold, but it's no fun when that lingers.

The fatigue hit MrRaven today; he's about day 8 I think. I'm not too bad tonight, but my tinnitus suddenly kicked up a notch last night and kept me awake, plus this morning I was hoarse & stuffed up again. All the glands in my face were sore too, but I get that sporadically. Also cystitis-y symptoms like I got a fortnight or so post vaccine. General uptick in inflammation perhaps.

I had a lot of face-ache too when I had it. Hope that you did indeed forgo the gardening and are both back to normal soon. It was gardening that highlighted to me that I wasn't as over it as I'd thought I was, about 5 or 6 weeks afterwards. It wasn't awful but I definitely was more tired than I normally would have been after doing some weeding and general tidying up. I'm pleased to report that after 2 hard hours of digging, weeding and ground clearing yesterday, I felt completely fine, so I think I can declare myself fully over it now.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Tue May 03, 2022 11:35 am

bagpuss wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:07 pm
I've only just realised how long ago you posted that - I've clearly not been keeping up with this sub forum. Glad you're pretty much back on form now.
I've got something again - doubt it's covid because I had that last month already, and I probably caught it from Dance Partner at the weekend during Royal Swing since she obviously caught something at The Savoy Cup but tested negative for covid but then she was getting over whatever that was and just needing to sleep (which would have been true anyway after that festival and all the rehearsal which went into that routine).

(It might well have been covid though because anecdotally it seems the lateral flow test doesn't necessarily return a positive result if you do it right when symptoms start; at least, another friend's experience was this. Exposure on a Wednesday, vaguely cold-like symptoms on Friday but negative on lateral flow, positive on lateral flow by Sunday, chilled on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday etc.)
molto tricky

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Tue May 03, 2022 11:46 am

Covid has caught us. Son came down with it last Monday - he'd been home ill, coughing all day and when he took a test in the evening was pretty much instantly positive. MrsFF came down with it by Wed's evening, then me on Sunday morning.

General symptoms, but the bad bits have been the splitting headaches and feeling like someone's taken a cricket bat to our lower backs. MrsFF and son have felt more dizzy than me and only MrsFF has had the change in smell and taste.

bagpuss
Dorkwood

Post by bagpuss » Tue May 03, 2022 11:46 am

shpalman wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 11:35 am
bagpuss wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:07 pm
I've got something again - doubt it's covid because I had that last month already, and I probably caught it from Dance Partner at the weekend during Royal Swing since she obviously caught something at The Savoy Cup but tested negative for covid but then she was getting over whatever that was and just needing to sleep (which would have been true anyway after that festival and all the rehearsal which went into that routine).

(It might well have been covid though because anecdotally it seems the lateral flow test doesn't necessarily return a positive result if you do it right when symptoms start; at least, another friend's experience was this. Exposure on a Wednesday, vaguely cold-like symptoms on Friday but negative on lateral flow, positive on lateral flow by Sunday, chilled on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday etc.)
The bagkitten is just recovering from something with almost identical symptoms to Covid, the only difference being that she's not been tired with it. Two LFTs (one on day 2*, one on day 4) showed no hint of anything, though. And neither Mr Bagpuss nor I have any symptoms at all and we're now pretty much a week after her something started. So it seems that there probably is a cold with remarkably similar symptoms to Covid doing the rounds.

*Although in the first 24 hours of symptoms as she started with a sore throat on Tuesday evening and we tested Wednesday morning when it was worse.

bagpuss
Dorkwood

Post by bagpuss » Tue May 03, 2022 11:47 am

FlammableFlower wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 11:46 am
Covid has caught us. Son came down with it last Monday - he'd been home ill, coughing all day and when he took a test in the evening was pretty much instantly positive. MrsFF came down with it by Wed's evening, then me on Sunday morning.

General symptoms, but the bad bits have been the splitting headaches and feeling like someone's taken a cricket bat to our lower backs. MrsFF and son have felt more dizzy than me and only MrsFF has had the change in smell and taste.
Ugh, sorry to hear that. Hope you're all much better soon. Take it easy.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Tue May 03, 2022 11:49 am

Cheers! I'm most annoyed that this is my last week of teaching. I've had to put up some recordings from last year.

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Wed May 04, 2022 7:18 pm

bagpuss wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 11:26 am
raven wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 9:14 pm

I had a lot of face-ache too when I had it. Hope that you did indeed forgo the gardening and are both back to normal soon. It was gardening that highlighted to me that I wasn't as over it as I'd thought I was, about 5 or 6 weeks afterwards. It wasn't awful but I definitely was more tired than I normally would have been after doing some weeding and general tidying up. I'm pleased to report that after 2 hard hours of digging, weeding and ground clearing yesterday, I felt completely fine, so I think I can declare myself fully over it now.
Tinnitus and glands are settling down again. Still a little hoarse, and a slight cough but feel pretty good otherwise. I haven't started exercising beyond a couple of short walks though. We'll see how that goes next week. MrRaven is feeling less tired too so it's all good.

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Wed May 04, 2022 7:21 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 11:46 am

Hope it eases up for you all soon, Flammable. As my sister told me about twenty times after I tested positve, take it easy and keep hydrated.

FlammableFlower
Dorkwood

Post by FlammableFlower » Thu May 05, 2022 9:48 am

Cheers raven. Luckily symptoms are pretty much gone 5 days in. Just very tired now. Don't wish that on anyone. So envious of anyone who shrugs it off as "just a cold".

warumich
Fuzzable

Post by warumich » Thu May 05, 2022 10:53 pm

Hi, I finally caught it too!

Christ this sucks though, definitely not just a cold
I've never had a signature, and it never did me any harm

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri May 06, 2022 12:21 am

Bad luck folks. Hope it's not too horrendous.

Take it easy and keep hydrated.

Remember beer hydrates more efficiently than water.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

raven
Catbabel

Post by raven » Fri May 06, 2022 10:32 pm

FlammableFlower wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 9:48 am
Cheers raven. Luckily symptoms are pretty much gone 5 days in. Just very tired now. Don't wish that on anyone. So envious of anyone who shrugs it off as "just a cold".
We both got hit by exhaustion after the more obvious cold symptoms were over, so after about a week. Thankfully it only last a couple of days. The tinnitus/muffled hearing and sore glands I had has completely settled down. Still occasionally getting hoarse/ a mild cough but that's tapering off too.

MrRaven just spoke to his sister who had it much worse than us despite being younger. She's finally up to a phone conversation without coughing fits after a month. She went for a review at the rheumatology clinic this week and when they found out she'd had it they said, but you're vulnerable, didn't you register your test? Yes, she said, of course I did. Well, they said, someone should've called you to offer you aintivirals.

She was not happy. Might've made a difference but she didn't know about it.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sat May 07, 2022 3:00 pm

MrsG had a +ve LFT this morning, and although mine was -ve, I have a feeling it's only a matter of time (scratchy throat, nose beginning to run, slightly thick head - but that could be last night's wine).
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Wed May 11, 2022 6:41 am

Gfamily wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 3:00 pm
MrsG had a +ve LFT this morning, and although mine was -ve, I have a feeling it's only a matter of time (scratchy throat, nose beginning to run, slightly thick head - but that could be last night's wine).
Same here. Frau HS tested positive this morning…but she only did the test because she was supposed to be in the office I today - she’s had assumed the scratchy through was her usual seasonal hay fever.

I felt rough at the weekend but tested negative then (could have been the wine too!) and I’ve just tested negative again this morning.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Thu May 12, 2022 3:54 pm

headshot wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 6:41 am
Gfamily wrote:
Same here. Frau HS tested positive this morning…but she only did the test because she was supposed to be in the office I today - she’s had assumed the scratchy through was her usual seasonal hay fever.

I felt rough at the weekend but tested negative then (could have been the wine too!) and I’ve just tested negative again this morning.
Negative again today!

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Thu May 12, 2022 3:58 pm

headshot wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:54 pm
headshot wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 6:41 am
Gfamily wrote:

Negative again today!
MrsG has just tested -ve, and since I had originally +ve'd about 12 hours later than her, I'll save testing until this evening.
My avatar was a scientific result that was later found to be 'mistaken' - I rarely claim to be 100% correct
ETA 5/8/20: I've been advised that the result was correct, it was the initial interpretation that needed to be withdrawn
Meta? I'd say so!

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Fri May 13, 2022 7:28 am

Day three and I’m still testing negative.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Sat May 14, 2022 12:58 pm

My negativity persists.

Gfamily
Light of Blast

Post by Gfamily » Sat May 14, 2022 1:06 pm

Gfamily wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:58 pm
MrsG has just tested -ve, and since I had originally +ve'd about 12 hours later than her, I'll save testing until this evening.
Still +ve on Thursday evening and a very faint +ve on Friday, but -ve this morning.
Both of us were feeling we had 'heavy legs' this morning, but that's eased a bit since.
Meta? I'd say so!

TimW
Snowbonk

Post by TimW » Sat May 14, 2022 9:03 pm

headshot wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 12:58 pm
My negativity persists.
There's a lot of it about.