Re: Join the Covid club!

Post by Martin_B » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:01 am

jimbob wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:33 pm
Gfamily wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:11 am
headshot wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:06 am
A side-note on German food. Every time I've visited (Sachsen) the food choices are often very heavy and hearty meat/potato/bread combos and Frau HS and I get constipated within days.

We may need to try other German regions to find something more digestible.
I have heard Belgian restaurant food described as 'with the quality of French food, and the quantity of German food'.
My first bosd was a very gallic Frenchman who'd been educated at the Sorbonne (and seemed a bit of a Francophobe - go figure).

He did once complain about how the further East you went from France in Europe, the more the cuisine was "pig and more pig".
Bit harsh on the Croatians; they've got some lovely food. And what's that country a little east and south of Croatia? Oh yes, Greece!
"My interest is in the future, because I'm going to spend the rest of my life there"

dyqik
Light of Blast

Post by dyqik » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:22 am

jimbob wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:33 pm
Gfamily wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:11 am
headshot wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:06 am
A side-note on German food. Every time I've visited (Sachsen) the food choices are often very heavy and hearty meat/potato/bread combos and Frau HS and I get constipated within days.

We may need to try other German regions to find something more digestible.
I have heard Belgian restaurant food described as 'with the quality of French food, and the quantity of German food'.
My first bosd was a very gallic Frenchman who'd been educated at the Sorbonne (and seemed a bit of a Francophobe - go figure).

He did once complain about how the further East you went from France in Europe, the more the cuisine was "pig and more pig".
Sometimes you get dumplings or cabbage on the side.

Al Capone Junior
Stargoon

Post by Al Capone Junior » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:05 pm

Getting the booster today or tomorrow and flu shot later this week. Also getting checked to see what else I need (tetanus for sure). :mrgreen:

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:15 pm

According to the rapid test I did earlier this evening, I don't have covid, but it seems there's being an outbreak in our lab.

Well, three people have it (two are PCR-confirmed and one is rapid-only for now) but most of the rest of us don't.

It may have been because of our technician's stupid f.cking moron antivax relative.
molto tricky

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:26 pm

People all around me are dropping like flies. I currently have about five friends who all tested positive. Brother’s work college got positive test on Wednesday, so that might f.ck his Christmas.

All have mild symptoms and and vaxxed.

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:35 pm

I didn't mention that it was the lab Christmas dinner last night, but because it was in Milan I couldn't be bothered to go.
molto tricky

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:57 am

shpalman wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:15 pm
According to the rapid test I did earlier this evening, I don't have covid, but it seems there's being an outbreak in our lab.

Well, three people have it (two are PCR-confirmed and one is rapid-only for now) but most of the rest of us don't.

It may have been because of our technician's stupid f.cking moron antivax relative.
Actually the tally is the technician, two PhD's, and a post-doc, but I'm not sure who the other covid-positive PhD is.

(ETA and about 10 of the rest of us are negative according to rapid tests done yesterday or this morning)

(ETAA I know our technician had two AZ doses, the first one just a few hours after mine so the second at least would have been in the same period; I can't remember if he managed to get around to being boosted though.)
molto tricky

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:39 am

shpalman wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:57 am
shpalman wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:15 pm

Actually the tally is the technician, two PhD's, and a post-doc, but I'm not sure who the other covid-positive PhD is.

(ETA and about 10 of the rest of us are negative according to rapid tests done yesterday or this morning)

(ETAA I know our technician had two AZ doses, the first one just a few hours after mine so the second at least would have been in the same period; I can't remember if he managed to get around to being boosted though.)
Ah ok the other covid-positive PhD works quite closely with the first one, so that's not a coincidence. Neither of them managed to get boosted yet due to issues with where their official residences are or aren't, or something.

Everyone else is negative.
molto tricky

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:09 am

... and as of this morning I'm still negative.
molto tricky

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:48 pm

shpalman wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:09 am
... one of the lab positives isn't exactly asymptomatic - he's going to get his lungs x-rayed tomorrow because his oxygen saturation is low.
molto tricky

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:00 pm

Fuckssake

Knew I shouldn't have come to Plague Island for Christmas
Tree dwellers leaping out the boughs shouting «Get the paper»
Trunk hugging rebels chucking petals at a detonator

Herainestold
After Pie

Post by Herainestold » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:39 pm

shpalman wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:48 pm
shpalman wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:09 am
... one of the lab positives isn't exactly asymptomatic - he's going to get his lungs x-rayed tomorrow because his oxygen saturation is low.
I think that is referred to as a "mild" case.
Masking forever
Putin is a monster, Russian people are not.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:41 pm

Oh no!

I've been on plague island since the beginning and haven't left and havent got it just yet, although I'm feeling increasingly sure it's just around the corner, if it's not brewing as I type. I've had plenty of other bugs over the last few months and Señor von Laté has just recovered from something that appears to have not been covid. My sister and her boyfriend have it though, but they're in That London so it's not surprising.
I'M HEATING STREAKY BACON IN A TROUSER PRESS

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:08 pm

We'd arranged to meet a few friends outside yesterday, and about half of them were already isolating. Loads of restaurants and pubs already shut, etc. Winchester is already basically apocalyptic.

But then I'm in a Tory town in the SE rather than somewhere ruralish(?) In Sturgeontopia.

My mum is devastated because my sister's not coming now.

Thank f.ck I brought some extra wine from Portugal.

Opti
Dorkwood

Post by Opti » Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:27 pm

Oh noes!!
Stay safe and well.
Time for a big fat one.

discovolante
Stummy Beige

Post by discovolante » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:03 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:08 pm
We'd arranged to meet a few friends outside yesterday, and about half of them were already isolating. Loads of restaurants and pubs already shut, etc. Winchester is already basically apocalyptic.

But then I'm in a Tory town in the SE rather than somewhere ruralish(?) In Sturgeontopia.

My mum is devastated because my sister's not coming now.

Thank f.ck I brought some extra wine from Portugal.
That sucks :( sorry your Christmas has been messed up big time.
I'M HEATING STREAKY BACON IN A TROUSER PRESS

Herainestold
After Pie

Post by Herainestold » Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:42 am

If we are all going to get Omicron, better to get it now while the NHS still has some capacity.
Masking forever

Grumble
Stummy Beige

Post by Grumble » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:27 pm

GrumbleSon tested positive this morning. We’ve gone so long without getting I did wonder if we would ever get it.
A bit churlish

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:44 pm

Best of luck. Hope your son's feeling ok.

Grumble
Stummy Beige

Post by Grumble » Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:08 pm

Bird on a Fire wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:44 pm
Best of luck. Hope your son's feeling ok.
Fine so far. Had a bit of a headache this morning but nowt much
A bit churlish

bagpuss
Dorkwood

Post by bagpuss » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:07 am

The bagkitten started a cold on Saturday, negative LFT at that point, but tested positive this morning, as have I. Mr bagpuss is currently still negative. We knew it was coming as it's been going round her class for a couple of weeks now.

Bagkitten has streaming cold but no more and is already feeling a lot better than yesterday, though ill enough that we'd have kept her off school anyway, Covid or not. She's coughing a bit but only a little.

I have a slightly sore throat and can't taste much, although when I stuck my nose in the coffee grinder pot, I could smell it fairly well, so made myself a mugful and it's weird - it tastes like a good strong cup of coffee in that I'm getting the full oomph of some bits of the flavour, but other parts are like a faint echo. It's actually quite pleasant, just different from normal. My breakfast of skyr, granola and berries tasted of nothing but a slight sweetness and tiny sour kick from the berries, though.

Herainestold
After Pie

Post by Herainestold » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:04 pm

bagpuss wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:07 am
The bagkitten started a cold on Saturday, negative LFT at that point, but tested positive this morning, as have I. Mr bagpuss is currently still negative. We knew it was coming as it's been going round her class for a couple of weeks now.

Bagkitten has streaming cold but no more and is already feeling a lot better than yesterday, though ill enough that we'd have kept her off school anyway, Covid or not. She's coughing a bit but only a little.

I have a slightly sore throat and can't taste much, although when I stuck my nose in the coffee grinder pot, I could smell it fairly well, so made myself a mugful and it's weird - it tastes like a good strong cup of coffee in that I'm getting the full oomph of some bits of the flavour, but other parts are like a faint echo. It's actually quite pleasant, just different from normal. My breakfast of skyr, granola and berries tasted of nothing but a slight sweetness and tiny sour kick from the berries, though.
Hope you guys are all okay and have minimal symptoms.
Masking forever

bagpuss
Dorkwood

Post by bagpuss » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:04 pm

Herainestold wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:04 pm
bagpuss wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:07 am

Hope you guys are all okay and have minimal symptoms.
Thanks Herainestold

All I can say is thank **** for the vaccines because if that's what it's like when fully jabbed, I would not have wanted to have it without being vaccinated. I mean, I've been more ill when I've had proper flu, but I've still had 2 days of not really being able to move off the sofa. Thankfully I'm starting to feel a lot more human today though still pretty rubbish. I'm more in bad cold territory now, I would say. This is good because Mr Bagpuss is now feeling like absolute **** and has gone back to bed. The bagkitten is mostly back to herself although she's not showing a lot of interest in food still which is really not like her.

My sense of taste still feels like it's dialled down to about 7 out of 10 but at least everything tastes like itself, just less so.

dyqik
Light of Blast

Post by dyqik » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:33 pm

No idea if I have it, but I was back teaching for the third time in two years. Got an email from the student I was working with all morning that she had a positive test from a sample submitted this morning.

Masks, weekly testing and boosters are mandatory throughout

Millennie Al
Dorkwood

Post by Millennie Al » Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:28 am

dyqik wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:33 pm
weekly testing
What's the point of that? You're infectious in a lot less than a week.