shpalman
Princess POW

Pfizer's new antiviral

Post by shpalman » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:29 am

bob sterman wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:48 pm
lpm wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:03 pm
I've got major problems with the concept of forcing vaccinations on people like Austria. I've got less of a problem with giving them a tier 2 healthcare service if they get seriously ill with Covid.
In contrast to this astonishing proposal to give tier 1 healthcare only to the unvaccinated!!

https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj.n2855
Pfizer has applied to the US Food and Drug Administration for emergency authorisation of its new antiviral PF-07321332 (to be marketed as Paxlovid), after promising early trial results indicated that it could cut hospital admissions by 89% among recently infected adults at high risk of severe illness who were unvaccinated. But the application for the treatment of unvaccinated people only could undermine the US immunisation effort, medical ethicists have warned, by rewarding people who ignored public health advice and penalising those who heeded it.
I'm sure that all those who against the covid vaccine because "it was developed too quickly" or "it's only under emergency approval" (the Pfizer vaccine has been properly approved since August in the US while being under conditional marketing authorisation in Europe) or "something something big pharma" won't be accepting Paxlovid either.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

shpalman
Princess POW

Re: Pfizer's new antiviral

Post by shpalman » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:34 am

Also, for those who claim that Pfizer's ~€20 vaccine is a corrupt big business scam, how much will a course of the antiviral cost?

(Obligatory testing for travel is the real corrupt scam in the UK.)
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

sTeamTraen
After Pie

Post by sTeamTraen » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:22 pm

shpalman wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:34 am
Also, for those who claim that Pfizer's ~€20 vaccine is a corrupt big business scam, how much will a course of the antiviral cost?
I saw an estimate of the cost of the median Covid ICU stay (north of $100,000, IIRC) and what percentage of that went to Big Pharma. They really are hurting their own pockets by selling the vaccine at that price.

#1 son was in hospital for several weeks as a teenager and for some reason we got to see the bill, even though normally it would have gone straight to the complex insurance system that we were part of. Even in a public (university, teaching, non-profit) hospital in France, the rack rate for a night's stay in a regular ward in 2005 was close to €1000, and that's before you'd seen a doctor or had any medication.
Something something hammer something something nail

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:46 am

This references an antibody treatment and says that it "costs about £2,000 a treatment and is subject to a rigorous and time-consuming approval process for every case we treat".

So much for those who "believed that the drug companies bribed the government to get the vaccine approved"...
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk