Mask Exemptions Or Twunts?

Discussions about serious topics, for serious people
Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Mask Exemptions Or Twunts?

Post by Stranger Mouse » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:43 pm

As someone who has to protect person in their nineties I’m very careful about masking up (I’m masked for around 12 hours per day and about 3 hours of that I’m double masked). I realise however that mostly I’m reducing the chances of me infecting other people and the risk reduction for myself is minimal.

Since the UK rules changed again for public transport I’ve noticed more people masking up but there’s a sizeable group who don’t seem to give a sh.t. A young woman without a mask sat next to me on the train yesterday but a cunning combination of evil looks, shaking my head, tutting and actually twisting in my seat so my back was to her managed to convince her correctly that I was a weirdo and she should move at the earliest opportunity.

Are they all just twunts or are there a bunch of really convincing exemptions which explain why such a large proportion of people in their twenties are wandering around spreading plague like nasty little shits? All the people I know with severe asthma, for instance, are actually as careful on mask wearing as me.
I’ve decided I should be on the pardon list if that’s still in the works

headshot
Dorkwood

Re: Mask Exemptions Or Twunts?

Post by headshot » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:38 pm

I went to the cinema on Thursday - where masks are mandatory.

The cinema was less than half occupied, but only 50% or so of these people were wearing masks.

I had my FFP2 one on for the duration, which does afford the wearer some protection.

The weird thing about cinemas is that masks are mandatory, but you can purchase all the drinks and snacks you like…so you can remove the mask to consume those.

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:00 pm

headshot wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:38 pm

The cinema was less than half occupied, but only 50% or so of these people were wearing masks.

I had my FFP2 one on for the duration, which does afford the wearer some protection.

The weird thing about cinemas is that masks are mandatory, but you can purchase all the drinks and snacks you like…so you can remove the mask to consume those.
I think the eating and drinking thing is to do with practicality rather than safety although it does produce some absurd results.

I feel miserable at the moment and would love to see the new Spider-Man movie (yeah I know not everyone likes superheroes but I think they’re fun) but I’m avoiding it like the plague because of the plague.

Why am I not allowed to punch non mask wearers in the face and give them a lecture while they pick up their broken teeth? Wearing a mask is such a low f.cking bar I think we should round up all the f.ckers and put them in camps or something. It’s such a low f.cking bar I can’t get my head round the objections. AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!

Sciolus
Dorkwood

Post by Sciolus » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:08 pm

Anecdote 1: A GP of my acquaintance remarked that no-one had ever asked him for an exemption from wearing a mask, and he couldn't think of any grounds for giving anyone one.

Anecdote 2: I slightly know a couple of people who don't wear masks but have a conspicuous lanyard thing saying they are exempt (I don't know them well enough to know what the medical reason is, but they're both pretty elderly).

Conclusion: Anyone else not wearing a mask indoors is an utter, total twunt.

headshot
Dorkwood

Post by headshot » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:19 pm

A couple on the train the other day, not wearing masks. Either of them.

What are the chances that both people in a couple have exemptions. Tiny, I expect.

The train manager made a very stern announcement about masks being mandatory and that the BTP would issue fine etc. I watched this couple for the entirety of the announcement. No reaction whatsoever.

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:29 pm

headshot wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:19 pm

What are the chances that both people in a couple have exemptions. Tiny, I expect.

The train manager made a very stern announcement about masks being mandatory and that the BTP would issue fine etc. I watched this couple for the entirety of the announcement. No reaction whatsoever.
When I got boosted there were too people in the bad centre without a mask. One was a middle aged obese lady on crutches who had difficulty moving so I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt. The other was a woman with two unmasked kids talking loudly on a mobile phone

:evil:

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:31 pm

headshot wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:19 pm

I’ve noticed how many couples and groups without masks which, as you say, makes legitimate exemptions unlikely.

I’ve also noticed the only people who walk into me because they are too busy looking at their phone are maskless which is a strange coincidence isn’t it

Bird on a Fire
Princess POW

Post by Bird on a Fire » Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:56 pm

A friend with epilepsy says that gives him an exemption.

I also saw one guy with a lanyard on the train the other day.

Beyond that, twunts.

I never saw a single person not masked in Portugal during the 20 months they've been mandatory there. The UK seems to be making it extra easy for twunts.
We have the right to a clean, healthy, sustainable environment.

jimbob
Light of Blast

Post by jimbob » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:08 pm

Sciolus wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:08 pm
Anecdote 1: A GP of my acquaintance remarked that no-one had ever asked him for an exemption from wearing a mask, and he couldn't think of any grounds for giving anyone one.

Anecdote 2: I slightly know a couple of people who don't wear masks but have a conspicuous lanyard thing saying they are exempt (I don't know them well enough to know what the medical reason is, but they're both pretty elderly).

I actually know someone who suffered abuse as a child, and where part of the abuse involved smothering with what their abuser called "a mask".

Unsurprisingly, although they've had their booster vaccine, wearing a mask is incredibly distressing to them. They did try earlier in the pandemic.
Have you considered stupidity as an explanation

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:58 pm

jimbob wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:08 pm
Sciolus wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:08 pm

I actually know someone who suffered abuse as a child, and where part of the abuse involved smothering with what their abuser called "a mask".

Unsurprisingly, although they've had their booster vaccine, wearing a mask is incredibly distressing to them. They did try earlier in the pandemic.
I actually have sympathy for people with severe psychological or psychiatric issues and mask difficulties as long as it goes beyond “I don’t like it and it’s uncomfortable “. I felt like I couldn’t breathe the first time I wore one and worse when I started double masking but I persevered. Your friend would sound like a reasonable exemption though - I just don’t think the dozens of maskless tw.ts I see pouring into buses and trains all have similar justification.

Stranger Mouse
After Pie

Post by Stranger Mouse » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:08 pm

headshot wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:38 pm

I was thinking about getting some FFP3 but I’m not sure I can justify the cost (especially as I don’t have total confidence in the cheaper manafacturers) and the safer valved ones actually don’t stop me potentially infecting other people.

I’ve been using these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1

And in higher risk situations double mask with this over the top https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reusable-Washa ... 183&sr=8-5

Jesus. I also hold my breath when walking past people but I know that will do f.ck all

shpalman
Princess POW

Post by shpalman » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:10 pm

It just doesn't seem to be a thing here in Italy.

Everyone was wearing masks in the supermarket even before it was mandatory.

I think I haven't been on a train since October but I remember mask wearing being good apart from the occasional manspreading besuited tosser with it around his chin while talking on his phone or to his colleague.
having that swing is a necessary but not sufficient condition for it meaning a thing
@shpalman@mastodon.me.uk

temptar
Fuzzable

Post by temptar » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:18 pm

Belgium does not have exemptions and in November, neither did Ireland.

So either you are Americanised or your government is basically incompetent.

Or probably both.